RoerAmit

Which one should I master?

4 posts in this topic

So I want to be a full-time musician, I play the guitar for like 10 years. I am 20 now, so yeah it's a lot of time.

BUT - As I get more and more into self-actualizing I understand I have A LOT of psychological problems, and it looks like I have to solve these, and only than I could really become a full-time musician. Furthermore, I really interested in deepening my understanding, and become more truthful and loving.

And I stuck because it looks like I have two different things to master. I'm torn and don't know what I TRULY want to master? the guitar or personal development. My heart is tearing apart I love and want both too much... I can't see myself without one of them.  

It demotivates me and makes everything harder.

Does anyone has ever got into this kind of problem? what do you think?

You don't have to choose one or the other you can choose both, Just choose different periods where you go between them or spend your free-time on self-actualizing. For me, it's Piano/composition and Self-actualizing and I try to do all 3 things because all 3 are important to me. If you don't already do this I recommend scheduling/planning your time this will help you become intentional about what you do with it and may help to find time to both of those things. I use Notes on ios to do this and use a mix of weekly daily goals by Scott Young and fixed schedule productivity by Cal Newport. Whatever system you choose use something that has as little friction as possible. The more friction the less likely you are to use it long term.

Edited by BjarkeT

12 hours ago, RoerAmit said:

I'm torn and don't know what I TRULY want to master? the guitar or personal development. My heart is tearing apart I love and want both too much... I can't see myself without one of them.  

I play guitar. Unless mastering personal development means meditating eight hours a day, why can't you do both?

Estas Tonne seems fairly woke to me:

Carlos Santana too:

You're only 20 bro, you've got some time. Maybe guitar can actually be part of your self-actualization journey.

What do you think?

@RoerAmit You can do both. Personal development is just a tool to help you do what you truly want to do and do it well. And you don't have to fix yourself/make yourself perfect before you can become a full-time musician. A lot of musicians are complete messes so it's obviously not required:p