Consept

Should we call out dogmatic beliefs on the forum?

24 posts in this topic

@Consept What is to be done is the distinguishing of the dogmas from what is part of an investigation into truth. 

If someone posts about their insights, it isn't there for you to believe them, or for you to just commend them because they delivered poetry that you find pleasant on the ears. 

For then it's just entertainment and a distraction.

It comes down to what difference what the person is saying makes. Leo says "you are God". But the only way to get to there if it's so is more consciousness, the takeaway isn't that I go believing it. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

3 things come to mind reading your post.

First: Do you want to be right or do you want peace? Because you can’t have both.

Second: Is it true? Byron Katie’s “The work” leads us to 4 questions to help us change the beliefs that cause us to suffer. You can do this for when we believe someone is wrong and we are right and anything else.

1. Is it true?

2. Do you absolutely know that it’s true?

3. What do you feel and how do you act when you believe it’s true?

4. What would you be like without the thought that it is true?

Then turn it around. This is where you put yourself into their shoes. So a belief may be “My mother didn’t love me” ... the turn around may be “I don’t love my mother” - which can happen when we start to build a story around how someone doesn’t like us. 

Third is also from Byron Katie: There are 3 types of business. Your business, other people’s business and God’s business. If you are in other people’s business or Gods then you are causing yourself unnecessary suffering and cannot change other people. We can only change ourselves (and because we are the other person - given we are all connected) then that’s where we find the power for change, growth and coming back to our true self - that we are pure love.

Yes ,  one is always free to dogmatically call out other people's dogmatic beliefs, even when one has no clear understanding what the other is trying to convey.  Free will, right? ?

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Wait I change my answer.... Yes, you should call out dogmatic beliefs, such as the one that there's anything to call out. 

Or, instead you could insightfully lead them to investigating for themselves whether or not they are holding a dogmatic belief. No need to argue, no need to be right.  No need to pile your own beliefs on top of their 'lesser' ones. All should just lead to more investigation, for both parties, 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay