LoveandPurpose

unsure about documentaries as life purpose

16 posts in this topic

hey guys, I'm currently thinking about making documentaries as my life purpose.

I like the balance between art and academia there, you can teach valuable concepts in an artistic manner.

I'm just always sceptical about the impact something has. No documentary has ever changed the world (without expections like earthlings which had an huge impact). But nether have a lot of books changed the world. 

the reason I'm making this post: any of you interested in making documentaries or already pursuing that?

Edited by LoveandPurpose

I am a filmmaker, though I have never made a documentary.  I definitely would love to one day, they are some of the best films out there.  

I say do it.  With streaming, Documentaries are doing better than ever.  

What topics are you looking to focus on?  Are you in L.A?  Maybe we could work together.

anything is possible with immense drive and vision

you can literally feel the soul put into work when it's there. 

Edited by DreamScape

Genesis 27:27-29

9 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

No documentary has ever changed the world

You need to work on your notion of "changed the world".

Changing the world is not a singular event. It is a collection of many tiny steps.

Plenty of documentaries have changed the world. You're just blind to the subtly of how change occurs.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Thestarguitarist14

9 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

I say do it.  With streaming, Documentaries are doing better than ever.  

yes, that's very true!

9 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

What topics are you looking to focus on?  Are you in L.A?  Maybe we could work together.

topic wise I don't think I would have a focus, dabbling in a lot of areas. important topics of society (racism e.g.) are definitely in there but maybe also pure artistic projects where I try to get my love for the universe on screen. 

no I'm from germany, but if I ever pursue this and move there I will contact you ;) would love to move to LA, seems like a magical place in a way.

is it hard as a filmmaker in LA, from your experience? are the projects you working on already meaningful to you or for now just something to pay the rent? my respect for following your passion, love that!

@Leo Gura Yes, that's true. Sometimes one can be too neurotic about wanting to force change in the world.

I'm just asking myself: How does change in the world come about? Your approach is very direct, teaching concrete concepts and a clear vision.

Documentaries can sometimes be more indirect. They cover a topic but don't explicitly say how to change a certain problem. Or maybe I can integrate this into my documentaries. Hmm, but there's only so much you can cover in ~90 minutes.

Maybe I just have to follow my passion and thus results me making my greatest impact in the world. Like, I don't think I could be a purely academic person. But then again I really have this desire to make a change in the world, so I always question if the thing my heart wants really is the thing that'll make the greatest impact.

2 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@Thestarguitarist14

yes, that's very true!

topic wise I don't think I would have a focus, dabbling in a lot of areas. important topics of society (racism e.g.) are definitely in there but maybe also pure artistic projects where I try to get my love for the universe on screen. 

no I'm from germany, but if I ever pursue this and move there I will contact you ;) would love to move to LA, seems like a magical place in a way.

is it hard as a filmmaker in LA, from your experience? are the projects you working on already meaningful to you or for now just something to pay the rent? my respect for following your passion, love that!

L.A is a very cut throat town in so many ways.  Getting any work is a challenge.  With the pandemic I have not really down much filmmaking.  I have been more into my music and writing career.  But I did directed two music videos this year. 

As for projects, I act as well and have to audition for a bunch of commercials just to work with a cool project coming here and there.  As a filmmaker, I rarely have taken up jobs and only work on my own things.  Though, I will do someone else’s music video if I find it worth while.  For me, it’s all about keep my integrity in balance. 

@Thestarguitarist14

54 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

L.A is a very cut throat town in so many ways.  Getting any work is a challenge.

Yeah I imagine it like that.

55 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

For me, it’s all about keep my integrity in balance. 

!

When and how did you know you wanted to pursue film?

2 minutes ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@Thestarguitarist14

Yeah I imagine it like that.

!

When and how did you know you wanted to pursue film?

I have always loved film since I was a child.  I knew since I was like seven it was something that I desired to do.

@Thestarguitarist14 Oh that's nice to have that clarity early on.

Is it fulfilling the way it is atm or do you think you have to have your break-though to really be happy making movies?

3 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@Thestarguitarist14 Oh that's nice to have that clarity early on.

Is it fulfilling the way it is atm or do you think you have to have your break-though to really be happy making movies?

My definition of success is different than others.

I have been fortunate to have acted in films, directed some shorts that got into Festivals, got picked up by the biggest distributor of shorts, and got on tv.  

While I would love to be apart of some great projects as both an actor and filmmaker, if I never booked another role as an actor or directed a feature film, I would be okay with that.  

During this pandemic I have realized that my true desire is to have joy, artistic and creative freedom and expression.  I can honestly say that I have this.

8 hours ago, LoveandPurpose said:

Documentaries can sometimes be more indirect. They cover a topic but don't explicitly say how to change a certain problem. Or maybe I can integrate this into my documentaries. Hmm, but there's only so much you can cover in ~90 minutes.

Stop thinking inside the box.

You can make documentaries do whatever you want them to do. There are no limits.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.