Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Callum Aylott

Your thoughts on joining the Army ( UK )

6 posts in this topic

Okay, 

Ill get straight to the point. I have the opportunity to join the British Army. 

But I'm not sure about the moral implications of such a choice. 

what do you think? 

Is the Army antithetical to what we are trying to do here? Which is to be conscious, loving, authentic, Real. compassionate, wise.  

Or is it a great opportunity to grow oneself? 

Grateful for anyone's intelligent input. 

Which position?, How long?

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

It doesn't matter if you're on the front line or just in some kind of support position. You're contributing to an organization that potentially kills innocent people and exploits third-world countries.

Arguably paying taxes does the same thing. But that's unavoidable and you're coerced with jail time and other threats to comply. Deciding to join the military is totally voluntary.

Just like if you're an accountant for a tobacco company or a janitor in a gun company. You're still playing some part and making their bigger picture possible.

Doesn't mean that you can't still find sihk or buddhist soldiers in the world. The mind will bend over itself to find justifications for its behavior.

Then again, a country needs soldiers to protect its borders to provide the kind of peace for ordinary citizens to pursue awakening. But there's a big difference between a military that just defends its country, vs being Imperialistic. I don't know how the UK's army compares to the US one, but I would not feel like it would be moral to be part of America's military industrial complex.

The military has the possibility to save lives too. The US coast guard spends most of their time doing drug busts, and saving people at sea. In the US, the military has a lot of stage blue people in it that are ready to serve their country. I would say the military is great for building character and discipline, which is great for stage red developing into blue. 

Navy aircraft carriers are giant moving hospitals, and are sometimes deployed to countries in need, like Haiti after a devastating earthquake. 

Edited by Finax

Might not be black and white.  Sure, there's cons, but pros too.  

Most important is do you feel it's what you want and what will be most beneficial for you and others?  

Cuz, yea, you may be supporting destruction in the world.  

On the other hand, you could save lives, or even grow yourself to the point where that self-growth is a benefit in and of itself.

There's probably no "right" or "wrong" answers either.  Whatever choice you make is fine (but choose the hardest one;)).  Even if you regret your decision, you'll still learn from that.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins