KingEnergy

Slow Carb Diet

49 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, KingEnergy said:

Still want to enjoy some pasta or something once in a while.

Just let it go. No more pasta ever.

Cheats meals are harder than just eating clean all the time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, datamonster said:

What's wrong with beans, lentils, rice and oats?

It is empty sugar calories without much nutrients.

Most high-calorie staple foods are like that. By design.

Idk man I think all fruits are healthy as fuck. Even the ones that are high in sugar.

I always reccomend Anthony William's diet advice...his last book cleanse to heal answers all these questions and more

Also, cheat days are pure stupidity. Do you want to be healthy or not?

Edited by Adam M

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

41 minutes ago, Adam M said:

Idk man I think all fruits are healthy as fuck. Even the ones that are high in sugar.

Some people can tolerate sugar some can't.

There is no perfect diet, that's why nutrition is so complicated. 

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It is empty sugar calories without much nutrients.

Lentils , beans and oats???  Oh cmon !!

Legumes are THE MOST nutritionally dense food on the planet (pound-for-pound) 

Oats are beautiful blood sugar balancing food with exceptional effect on high LDL cholesterol 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

50 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Legumes are THE MOST nutritionally dense food on the planet (pound-for-pound)  

I bet liver, kale and eggs are nutritionally denser. Do you have any sources for this? 

53 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Oats are beautiful blood sugar balancing food with exceptional effect on high LDL cholesterol 

Wouldn't flax seeds be better? 

1 hour ago, Opo said:

I bet liver, kale and eggs are nutritionally denser. Do you have any sources for this?

you have to account for combination of macros & micros as well as potential damage and pitfalls. I can see a lot of pitfalls eating liver especially from non-organic sources which is where most livers come from. A pound of beans won't harm you, a pound of liver can. 

Kale is alright, but it has no macronutrients and eggs are not as dense, hardly comparable to something like pinto beans. 

Beans have a bit of everything on the top they are great source of protein and carbohydrates + they have lots of fibre and are prebiotics for your gut + they have no cholesterol and saturated fats. 

1 hour ago, Opo said:

Wouldn't flax seeds be better? 

Flax are kinda ok for cholesterol modification but the effects are low comparing to legumes. Legumes have lots of great phytochemicals that specifically work on modifying markers of cardiovascular health. Check out this one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5713300/ None of the expensive superfoods come even close to this and yet people pay so much money for crap like spirulina and acai

I'd say the two complement each other nicely since beans have no fatty acids :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

18 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

+  they have no cholesterol and saturated fats. 

U need cholesterol and saturated fats u don't rly need carbs. 

20 minutes ago, Opo said:

U need cholesterol and saturated fats u don't rly need carbs. 

Your liver makes ca.1g of cholesterol per day plus every cell in the body makes a little bit for its own needs. It can be helpful to get a little extra cholesterol from diet to support steroidogenesis but most people eat too much cholesterol already. 

In terms of saturated fats, there is very little physiological benefits from eating large amounts and you can probably meet your needs from eating plant sources of fat, maybe an occasional egg or fish. 

Nothing wrong with sugar in the presence of nutrients (molasses and white rice, etc. Just avoid processed food and vegetable oils). Sweet potatoes are as good as it gets. And the importance of variety cannot be understated.

2 hours ago, datamonster said:

I looked into it more, but I really couldn't find many cons to these foods. Could you elaborate?

Legumes are not good for people with autoimmune diseases. 

"Like grains and pseudograins, legumes contain phytic acid. Phytic acid binds to nutrients in the food, preventing you from absorbing them. It doesn’t steal any nutrients that are already in your body, but it does make that bowl of lentils a lot less nutrient-dense than the Nutrition Facts panel would have you believe. For this reason, it’s usually cited as a major downside of these foods, but the truth is clearly little more complicated, because some Paleo-acceptable foods like nuts also contain relatively high amounts of it. Per unit of mass, most nuts actually have a little more phytic acid than most grains and beans. So why are nuts fine to eat, but lentils are problematic?

LegumesRather than labeling any amount of phytates as harmful, it’s more precise to say that the effects on the body depend on how much you eat. In fact, phytic acid may even have some health benefits in small amounts, so it’s not accurate to dismiss it as nothing but a toxin to avoid. The key is in how much you eat: this is why nuts are fine in moderation, while legumes and beans are discouraged. The difference is that nuts and kale aren’t staple foods in most people’s diets – if you were relying on almonds as a chief source of nutrition, which hopefully you aren’t, you’d suffer from the same problems."

https://paleoleap.com/beans-and-legumes/

"Oatmeal isn’t good for you. You probably know most breakfast cereals—even those with health claims on the front—aren’t healthy. But oatmeal? How could a food so boring also be unhealthy? The major problem with oatmeal is the same problem with every other grain: It spikes your blood sugar and makes you hungrier."

"You’re not eating the same grains your grandparents ate. New hybrids have been developed that are much starchier than their predecessors and have a greater impact on our blood sugar than the traditional kinds of starch. (It actually promotes insulin resistance or prediabetes.) The new varieties also have more gluten, which is not doing us any favors. And while most wheat isn’t genetically modified, it is dosed with a chemical herbicide called glyphosate just before harvest, which increases its yield."

https://drhyman.com/blog/2018/02/14/7-takeaways-grains-book-food-heck-eat/

Edited by Opo

7 minutes ago, datamonster said:

I don't find this to be true at all. I eat oats evey day for breakfast at 7am. Usually I get hungry again around 2pm, so I'm full for 7 hours and that's mostly due to habit, you probably could go even longer without feeling hungry if you didn't prime your body to eat at certain hours like me.

Do you put something else in them? 

When I eat oats with berries I get hungry pretty fast, but when I replace oats with flaxseed even when I get hungry it's not that bad so I can go for the next 20 hours easily. 

15 minutes ago, datamonster said:

lol how much flaxseeds do you eat?

Between 2 to 6 tablespoons. It varies a lot. I also sometimes put a tablespoon of coconut oil. Lately I forgot about it, I need to start doing that again. 

3 hours ago, Opo said:

"Like grains and pseudograins, legumes contain phytic acid. Phytic acid binds to nutrients in the food, preventing you from absorbing them. It doesn’t steal any nutrients that are already in your body, but it does make that bowl of lentils a lot less nutrient-dense than the Nutrition Facts panel would have you believe. For this reason, it’s usually cited as a major downside of these foods, but the truth is clearly little more complicated, because some Paleo-acceptable foods like nuts also contain relatively high amounts of it. Per unit of mass, most nuts actually have a little more phytic acid than most grains and beans. So why are nuts fine to eat, but lentils are problematic?

This is completely irrelevant. Legumes have been part of human diet since the time of ancient Egypt. If they were toxic we would have found out by now. Autoimmune are a modern thing caused by our toxic lifestyles including excessive consumption of animal products. Phytic acis has actually been associated with protection from cancer and tumour forming. careful with sourcing facts on paleo forums, extremely biased information. Read this. True that most of the evidence is in-vitro but it is a beginning and we need further investigation. Phytic acid is thrown out as some sort of deadly substance where it can actually be helpful. 

EDIT: forgot to mention. You can reduce phytic acid by soaking, cooking properly or sprouting. 

3 hours ago, Opo said:

"Oatmeal isn’t good for you. You probably know most breakfast cereals—even those with health claims on the front—aren’t healthy. But oatmeal? How could a food so boring also be unhealthy? The major problem with oatmeal is the same problem with every other grain: It spikes your blood sugar and makes you hungrier."

again, not true. 

This (link) is a large systematic study pooling 64 studies that associated oats and cardiovascular disease, majority of which show beneficial effect. Not that cardiovascular diseases are closely linked to blood sugar balance as diabetes and insulin resistance are one of the key contributors to atherosclerosis meaning if your blood sugar is disrupted you have higher chance of having heart attack or stroke prematurely. There is no evidence to any of these claims, again more paleo forum nonsense. 

Here is a meta analysis (pooling multiple study data). They found that oat betaglucans had no effect on fasting insulin levels or HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin is a long-term marker of blood sugar balance). So it mean oats do not significantly improve blood sugar but they don't make it worse either. Nobody eats oats alone, people eat it with berries, nuts and seeds all shown to improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar balance and reducing risk of diabetes 

btw Mark Hyman is one of the most biased sources you can have. He has been called out for making dangerous and pseudoscientific claims, demonising fruits and vegetables and promoting his cancer causing diet. Him and Atkins are not that different and we know that Atkins is a heart disease diet. 

Any food that you can store in a sack for a year and then eat is not gonna be great.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Any food that you can store in a sack for a year and then eat is not gonna be great.

same for your girl's private parts?

16 minutes ago, datamonster said:

What's the logic behind this?

For me either it has nothing valuable so no organism wants to eat it or it's defense is so strong it'll damage you when you eat it. 

I still eat flaxseeds tho. 

Edited by Opo

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Legumes have been part of human diet since the time of ancient Egypt. If they were toxic we would have found out by now. 

Do we eat the same legumes now? A lot of problems with grains come from genetically modifying them. 

This (link) is a large systematic study pooling 64 studies that associated oats and cardiovascular disease, majority of which show beneficial effect. Not that cardiovascular diseases are closely linked to blood sugar balance as diabetes and insulin resistance are one of the key contributors to atherosclerosis meaning if your blood sugar is disrupted you have higher chance of having heart attack or stroke prematurely. There is no evidence to any of these claims, again more paleo forum nonsense. 

People who eat oats are less likely to smoke, drink, eat sugar and so on. It's hard to follow effects of just oats.

Here is a meta analysis (pooling multiple study data). They found that oat betaglucans had no effect on fasting insulin levels or HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin is a long-term marker of blood sugar balance). So it mean oats do not significantly improve blood sugar but they don't make it worse either. Nobody eats oats alone, people eat it with berries, nuts and seeds all shown to improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar balance and reducing risk of diabetes 

Positive effects are relative. If they take a diabetic person who only eats fast food and candy and give them oats of course it will improve their health.

I wonder what would happen to someone who eats like Leo if they ate them. 

btw Mark Hyman is one of the most biased sources you can have. He has been called out for making dangerous and pseudoscientific claims, demonising fruits and vegetables and promoting his cancer causing diet. Him and Atkins are not that different and we know that Atkins is a heart disease diet. 

Il look into this. 

If you have any sources I would appreciate them. 

Edited by Opo

4 minutes ago, datamonster said:

That's because you have to process lentils, beans and rice first. Once cooked, sprouted or soaked they won't last long before they get eaten by organisms.

I don't understand why are unsoaked flaxseeds easier on my tummy than soaked ones? 

I put them whole in warm water for half a day and rinse them once or twice then I ground them up and eat them.

Am I doing something wrong?