lmfao

Why should I be good to others?

43 posts in this topic

When I talk to most people, I am not convinced they are good for the sake of being good. They are good because they are scared of others. I don't automatically believe or trust in people's, or my own, self proclaimed thoughts and feelings about things, because I lie and act on programming, and I see it in others. I may scream, cry, be offended about something, but what is hurt may just be an image. And the image is to be overcome. (I'm not trivialising my own suffering to trivialise the suffering of others that I cause. I'm just elaborating on how I don't trust people's beliefs and world view.) 

I can see that there is a selfish reason to being good, that you cultivate relationships and bonds that you value. But I wonder if anything lies beyond that. 

Guilt is useless, shame is useless, being scared is useless. I see that my entire life I've been a coward and liar. 

If karma exists I'm not conscious of it. If love is the answer then I am not conscious of it. 

When being social, I now realise that I've always been a liar and manipulator. But everyone else is as well but doesn't see it. 

I will do my best to not lie 

I just wonder, what is beyond the transactional and selfish nature of being social. 

I think I've uselessly been thinking out loud or framing questions which get me nowhere. 

Underlying this attitude seems to be hurt and being closed off, but a path towards it I can't see. 

Perhaps I will wait untill I find a way to get LSD or something one day.

I just occasionally enter a state of being where I have no remorse or can't have a conscience. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Don't look for stupid rational answers. Look into your heart and you will see why compassion is the most important lesson. Even more important than contemplation.

For the Buddha compassion was more important than meditation (it is not very know for the general public but can be seen in the early canon writings), also for Jesus. 

@lmfao  Dont be so hard on yourself and others.  Its possible to give the benefit of the doubt now, and not wait for a lsd experience.  Sure we all have a mixture of stuff and expressions so to say, but its in your hands how you judge that. 

Does a sinner need to be hated or lashed out at or pointed to and shunned, or can this one be acknowledged and still be treated with a heart and respect?

If people were truely as sinner as you say you see them as, we would of never made it this far in evolution, let in that your not seeing the whole picture and let that new information come in.

Also stop being a liar and manipulator and in doing so you'll find others who are doing the same, you'll also probably find out that theres a lot more good then your currently seeing.

I struggle with this concept a lot myself because I find that compassion (at least in American culture) often ends in being used. I understand that there is a line to where you need to know not to give too much of yourself or what to have to benefit others but I often find it discouraging to be giving or understanding to those who do not appreciate or understand compassion. 

Being good nearly ruined my life(it's ruined) so i would not recommend it in this egoistic reality.

Yes people only use you. They don't really care about you.

One day i will leave this place, finally.

Edited by Bulgarianspirit

16 hours ago, Mu_ said:

Also stop being a liar and manipulator and in doing so you'll find others who are doing the same, you'll also probably find out that theres a lot more good then your currently seeing.

Fair. I need to see that at the end of the day this is a story and I've bought into someone else's ideas. 

@Dlavjr Indeed, it is a very confusing thing. 

@Bulgarianspirit How did being good ruin your life? Both of us have created this generalisation of "people are like X" as a primitive reaction to hurt. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

If there was a reason for being good, then it wouldn't be good. Contemplate it.

For good to be good, it must be done for its own sake. Selflessly. Which is why Good = selflessness. If you are trying to do good for a reason, that is selfishness, and that is evil.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Hey don't steal my lines, I was about to tell the same, if there is reason then there is some problem. 

People want you be good bcause it serves them but you can do anything most people are hipocrites and not honest. Whatever you do in life its one of two thing authantic or not authantic. You can do good or bad and be authantic and you can do good and bad and be not authantic. good is perceived by you not same by others and hell is paved with good intentions 

Do good or dont it dont matter its all 0 in the end 

Note: What people call "good" is actually evil. And what people call "evil" is actually Good.

Oldest trick in the book ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This situation reminds me of one of the games I've played in the past called 'Final Fantasy Dissidia' and also 'Final Fantasy Dissidia 2'. Spoilers below for spoiler sensitive users:

The game is about two dualistic deities, a god of chaos and a goddess of order. They both wage war against each other, and the way they do this is to take the main hero and antagonist from each universes that had existed ( each game title) and have them fight at each location based off of some of the world setting of these games. Near the end of the second game, both deities had to work together to defend against some other primordial being from destroying their realms and the heroes/villains worked together as well, and the memories of each hero/villain are absorbed by both the deities to further learn about how creation works.

The main point is, that every new experience and internalization, you are learning regardless, and at the end of your life, you'd have accumulated enough valuable experience that another manifestation is improved. The inner workings or mechanics of how this happens is incredibly complex that I haven't grasped yet. However, it's happening.

@lmfao Truth is important to you? You love truth, or no?

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Why bother evaluating behaviours into categories like good or bad?

Aren't they just behaviours?

As soon as you judge, you're back into devilry.

6 hours ago, rav said:

Why bother evaluating behaviours into categories like good or bad?

Aren't they just behaviours?

As soon as you judge, you're back into devilry.

Why do this work, why judge, not judge yourself and just  let things continue as they did before? 

I will try to explain my point best I can at this moment, everyone interprets words as they please.

In a sense it is not about judgement, then again if I will use other words they will be misinterpreted too.

You do not judge, you acknowledge that there is problem, but you do not judge this problem.

Authentic behaviors do not need reasons, if you would have to name reason is just the behavior itself is reason.

So to make it simple, behavior itself might be the problem, or behavior might not be the problem, but something else is actually causing problem for behavior.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

For good to be good, it must be done for its own sake. Selflessly. Which is why Good = selflessness. If you are trying to do good for a reason, that is selfishness, and that is evil.

@Leo Gura Very good point. I'm surprised something so simple didn't occur to me.

@kai0 Yes, authenticity is of utmost value regardless.

Edited by lmfao

@mandyjw To answer the question without rambling, yeah truth is important to me. I love it? Could be. I don't know what I love. 

Small tangent. Unfortunately the phrase "don't know", or "not knowing", in English has negative connotations. Something Ralston noted in naming his book. 

@Danioover9000

16 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

The main point is, that every new experience and internalization, you are learning regardless, and at the end of your life, you'd have accumulated enough valuable experience that another manifestation is improved.

Let's hope so and see :pray_emoji: . One day I'll play that series.

Edited by lmfao

@rav @purerogue Lmao, this dialogue is indeed a common pattern for us in this work. Regardless of which of the two sides you take in framing things, what matters is what relation you bear with what you're saying. And what doesn't necessarily matter so much is the content of what you say.