Viking

how to be grounded for highly mental people

10 posts in this topic

I ask how to do it in this post.

i've meditated on and off for about 3 years now and it seems that after one meditates, one should feel 'grounded', meaning not in the mind, feeling more. 

thing is, im so heavily mind dominated that even if i have not much thoughts during the meditation, the second i finish it my mind starts racing and doesnt let go. this also happens almost every morning. 

i am usually stuck in my mind in my daily life, especially when i start to be aware of it. 

this makes me emotionless sometimes, somewhat autistic even, trying so hard to interpret social situations that i get confused. i dont have autism, i can pick up very well social cues, but only when my mind is calm.

if even grounding meditation doesnt help really, what will?

P.S. i have a feeling it has something to do with me rejecting life and not really choosing/wanting to live, so i sabotage myself by thinking. kind of 'why are you hitting yourself' thing. on one hand i want to have a good life, on the other i want to ruin everything and cease existing, but since it cant happen what it does is just make my life less good.

Edited by Viking

As soon as you distinguish between Actuality and Concept your gone be liberated in many ways. Just start to see that any concept about reality, whatever it is, is not what is actual there. You might wanna check out Leo's Episode on this "What is Actuality? - Distinguish Dirrect Experience vs Concept. That's gonna make a huuuuuuuge difference 

I think that when there is a need for the mind to be in control all the time it is because there is an underlying insecurity. This happens to a greater or lesser extent to all of us. there is a feeling that you must be in control to be safe. This is an illusion because it is impossible to be in control. It could give you a heart attack in the next 15 seconds and die and there is no control that can prevent it, but the ego, seeing itself alone, produces enormous insecurity and needs that constant exhausting analysis. As you become aware that existence goes far beyond what the ego can encompass, that you are floating in existence and that your control is minimal, the compulsive thinking quickly relaxes. This understanding cannot be theoretical, it has to be direct, and for that, as far as I know, only meditation and psychhodelics work. it really works, and in a not too long period of time you can notice a very important change. I don't know if eliminating the ego talk completely will be possible, but that it becomes a background noise yes

Being highly neurotic can be really tough sometimes. I am also a pretty neurotic person, but I'll state some things that have helped me in situations.

When you're neurotic/self conscious when talking to people try to focus on them more than yourself. Make a decision in the morning to really listen to what people are saying today. When you're actually listening too what they are saying the response comes naturally and effortlessly. It is when we are too focused on ourselves that the conversation gets out of tune and somewhat unfulfilling. Just listen as if this person has something to say that you need to know. 

When you're very neurotic and have depressive thoughts get a pen and start writing whatever comes up down. Just write it down, not with the intention of figuring anything out or solving your neuroticism, just write whatever comes up down. This helps release the thoughts, it is a way of expressing what you feel so that you don't just keep it too yourself. People might not be able to listen to your problems, so writing it down is a great way of getting that release.

Look at people, their clothes, their shoes, the way they walk, try to figure out what is going on for them right now. What are they feeling? Maybe find something you like about them, a trait physical or personality wise. Basically shift your focus outwards instead of inwards constantly. I haven't done this much, but I remember a time where I consciously did it and my mind relaxed. 

That is all I can come up with now that I think truly helps, I could say a lot of stuff but these 3 things seems have had the most profound effects for me. Hope it helps, I'm in a similar position and I know how draining it can be to feel so detached.

@Viking it depends on what you're thinking about. Is that thinking necessary? 

Use your physicality to the fullest. To stay grounded. 

1 hour ago, Viking said:

i've meditated on and off

There.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Devaraj's whole channel is dedicated to grounding and feeling more in the body. I have the same issue with meditation I could do it for hours and have been quite dedicated a times but i choose to do these kinds of things as my main way of being grounded.

Im someone who has a lot of tension in my legs and have been doing bioenergetics to try and release some of the tension and it will probably take a few years of daily practice before i can really consider myself especially grounded. If your into Actualized.org there is a good chance is because your the same people who are really grounded dont usually give a shit about meditation unless something dramatic happens to them. 

There is nothing wrong with your mind's activities, thinking is not bad, etc. What causes the problem is that you think that you should be in control of your mind, you are forcibly trying to manipulate your thoughts, for example. But it can not be done. Precisely because what is trying to force things, is not in control! It won't be this one sentence of course but if you let go of control, you'll immidiately realize that evreything is just happening to (the ego centered) "you", and you won't get into the loop of anxiety that creates more anxiety. You'll see it rising, notice "okay this is just happening it's beyond my control", so you just let it go. Let it happen man, don't try to interfere! This changed the world for me. All better explained by Allan Watts himself: 

I have a feeling that certain grounding techniques would work for you that doesn't work for others, and vice versa, but one good advice I got one time was to go for a run before meditating. I assume a very brisk walk or bike ride would suffice as well. 

Also you can try taking gaba supplement before meditation 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

6 hours ago, Patrick Lynam said:

Devaraj's whole channel is dedicated to grounding and feeling more in the body. I have the same issue with meditation I could do it for hours and have been quite dedicated a times but i choose to do these kinds of things as my main way of being grounded.

Im someone who has a lot of tension in my legs and have been doing bioenergetics to try and release some of the tension and it will probably take a few years of daily practice before i can really consider myself especially grounded. If your into Actualized.org there is a good chance is because your the same people who are really grounded dont usually give a shit about meditation unless something dramatic happens to them. 

Where do you hold your tension? For me it's the inner thighs connecting to my groin. Soooo tight all the time. Hamstrings too. 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay