rnd

[entrepreneurship] experience then confidence, or vise versa?

5 posts in this topic

In the context of entrepreneurship.

I've watched youtube channels of 2 entrepreneurs for a while. Both are successful in business. But they aren't stars on youtube at all, and this is one reason why they're trustworthy in my opinion.

When speaking about "skills, experience, confidence and what comes first", one of them claimns: first you have no skills and hence no confidence, and it's normal.  There's no way to cheat here. As you do whatever it is you do in business, by trial and error and pain you become more skilful and thus, after a while, you gain confidence and success.

The other claims the opposite: first you should make  yourself believe that you're condident and/or that you'll succeed; only after that should go and do your craft. Your believe that you're confident and/or that you'll succeed will allow to actually gain both skills and success.

Both opinions seem equally valid to me.

What do you think? Which is correct, or more correct? Or both?

Edited by rnd

Hmm interesting.

Let’s say confidence = success in business.

One claims:

experience —> confidence —> success

the other claims:

confidence —> success

Maybe both are true, but one has the belief that there needs to be experience in order to be confident, which creates a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Nice talk, but in my direct experience I also see that the more I have done in a field, the more confident I get and the more successful. 

Realizeyourgrowth.com

You need a certain level of confidence in order to make experiences.

Example: A baby learning to walk. If it has 0 confidence that it will be able to walk it will never try to do it. But if it has enough confidence in tackling this issue of acquiring the refined skill to walk, it will try, fall down and stand up many times until it can walk.

So now it depends on how much you trust yourself with learning something. The baby from the example never needs to fake confidence because it already has enough confidence to try. If you are blocked and never try, faking confidence can help you get started.

Don't get lost in details and questioning what is the right method. Just start with whatever feels right for you and figure it out from there. What is helpful to you might not be helpful for others and vice versa.

Okay, so.

You want to hold the belief that it's possible for you to succeed, which gives you a certain flair of confidence.

So make the distinction between 2 types of confidence.

The one that you 'can succeed in whatever you're doing'

Tackling limiting beliefs, visualizations and breath work can help.

Then the other type of confidence is like an side-effect of having a lot of direct experience in your field, that comes with time.

https://aapo.blog/

my personal website-actualized since 2015-just waiting for the day-we have the first guys on the forum

born on 2015 :P