Happy Jay

22 years old. Traumatized and trying to solve these blocking emotions via psychoanaly

12 posts in this topic

‌Hey. İ am 22 and had very unbearable social interaction problems because of my traumatic experiences with my parents as i was a child.İ am getting the psychoanalytic therapy since 3 months once a week which probably caused conversion attack for the first time in my life. İt is happened 3 times during these 5-6days. My psychiatrist told me that i have to take anti depressants for 6months with benzodiazepines in order to relax during the attacks. But i feel intuitively that antidepressants will interfere with my analysis and slow down its improvement. But i am not sure if it is a paranoia or reality. Does anyone take this medicines along psychoanalysis? Psychiatrists are prejudiced against analysts and that's why i can't trust to any of them.unfortunately my analyst didn't tell me a clear answer and told me what do i think about this question and that i have to make this choice for myself .i am not sure what should i do. İ don't want to ruin my psychoanalysis because i feel that it will cause some profound changes.but at the same time when i don't take anti-depressants i will not be able to do my daily self-development work.Please share your thoughts and experiences about this issue.thank you

Dear Happy Jay, I'm a Chinese and I don't know much about the psychotherapy in the US. But I have the impression that psycho therapists are so quick to prescribe medicine. 

Trauma needs to be released from the body. It's healthy to cry, kick, shriver, vomit, scream in a safe environment and then sooth yourself afterwards. 

If you use medicine to suppress the tension, they'll come back.

I think the purpose of medicine is to ensure that one can perform basic social function. It can never cure the deeper cause. 

Personally I feel psycho analysis does very little for trauma releasing. Or to put it in another way, it costs way lot more and much longer than somatic approach for the same impact. I felt a bit relieved and listened to when I was talking to my therapist. But then I was just going around in circles telling my story over and over, and found myself slipping back to the old pattern in life.

Here's a video that solidifies my doubt about psycho analysis. I encourage you to be open your mind and try a wide range approaches to find the one that truly resonates with you. Best wishes!

Antidepressants are a mixed bag, but just say no ? to the benzodiazepines. They make a person physically dependent (even addicted) very quickly, and getting of them is usually difficult. Try hydroxyzine for attacks as needed, as well as an antidepressant that can also help with anxiety, such as paroxetine.

Many non-professionals say not to take medication at all, but it sounds like you have some issues that could benefit from these medicines, so your analyst may have a good idea.

On 13.9.2020 at 8:42 AM, susanyzm said:

Dear Happy Jay, I'm a Chinese and I don't know much about the psychotherapy in the US. But I have the impression that psycho therapists are so quick to prescribe medicine. 

Trauma needs to be released from the body. It's healthy to cry, kick, shriver, vomit, scream in a safe environment and then sooth yourself afterwards. 

I think the purpose of medicine is to ensure that one can perform basic social function. It can never cure the deeper cause. 

Personally I feel psycho analysis does very little for trauma releasing. Or to put it in another way, it costs way lot more and much longer than somatic approach for the same impact. I felt a bit relieved and listened to when I was talking to my therapist. But then I was just going around in circles telling my story over and over, and found myself slipping back to the old pattern in life.

Here's a video that solidifies my doubt about psycho analysis. I encourage you to be open your mind and try a wide range approaches to find the one that truly resonates with you. Best wishes!

Thank you for your answer. How long have you been in psychoanalysis?

On 11.9.2020 at 2:57 PM, Happy Jay said:

8 hours ago, Nobody_Here said:

Antidepressants are a mixed bag, but just say no ? to the benzodiazepines. They make a person physically dependent (even addicted) very quickly, and getting of them is usually difficult. Try hydroxyzine for attacks as needed, as well as an antidepressant that can also help with anxiety, such as paroxetine.

Many non-professionals say not to take medication at all, but it sounds like you have some issues that could benefit from these medicines, so your analyst may have a good idea.

Thanks, yeah benzodiazepines are dangerous drugs .i am not sure what i am gonna do ,because i think antidepressant will interfere with my psychoanalysis that's why o am trying to avoid it for now

On 13.9.2020 at 8:42 AM, susanyzm said:

On 11.9.2020 at 2:57 PM, Happy Jay said:

5 hours ago, Happy Jay said:

Thanks, yeah benzodiazepines are dangerous drugs .i am not sure what i am gonna do, because i think antidepressant will interfere with my psychoanalysis that's why o am trying to avoid it for now

Antidepressants will mask some of the problems you have. But consider this:

• Once a week therapy is good and helps, but it's by no means an intense program. 
  • It can take years (and a good chunk of being lucky) to fully resolve psychological issues through therapy and PD work. 
  • In addition to missed opportunities, "not being functional" adds to trauma and low self-esteem. Most people don't handle it well if they aren't a useful member of society. Think of all the well-documented psychological problems that come with long-term unemployment - it takes just a few month of unsuccessful job search for people to just start falling apart. Plus it's extremely difficult to be mentally well if you're socially isolated due to illness. 
  • How much more capable will you feel having finished university despite difficulty (I assume you study, if not, insert another goal) vs. dropping out for mental health issues? How much more self-confident for other endeavours in life? Trust me, it makes a world of difference. 
  • Perhaps worst of all - if you're not functional, who are you going to depend on? Your parents, who caused your trouble?
  • Antidepressants won't alter your memories or erase your emotions, they just give you some more peace and joy in the moment, so that certain emotional issues become less pressing. You can still do most of the analytical work you need to do. 

There is value in pressing through difficult emotions without the crutch - if you've got the mindfulness and equanimity, and a safe enough environment, to stay with them and not let them retraumatize you. Yet I'd like you to consider the full value of being socially functional. 

See also this report of a forum member for a positive view on medication.

Edited by Elisabeth

@Happy Jay   My mom did take benzo's for a period of time and it was needed for her to sleep for her short term, since he had heart pounding panic attacks in the middle of the night that would wake her out of her sleep and keep her awake.  There may of been an alternative that could of worked but she got these over the counter while living in mexico and didn't know the risks.  It was scary and rough for her coming of them and seemed to tweak her personality while she was on them.  i'd strongly suggest going with another medication and seeing if that works since it can have major addictive risks, and she's now been taking a small-moderate dose of SRI's and its making a difference.  Look into the pro's and con's of what is being prescribed to you before you make your decision, in general Benzo's should be a major no.

My only other suggestion is to do these with the mindset that its only in conjunction with therapy and self helping yourself and that they are not something that you will want or need to take past a year or less (give or take some for certain people).

On 9/11/2020 at 6:57 AM, Happy Jay said:

‌Hey. İ am 22 and had very unbearable social interaction problems because of my traumatic experiences with my parents as i was a child.İ am getting the psychoanalytic therapy since 3 months once a week which probably caused conversion attack for the first time in my life. İt is happened 3 times during these 5-6days. My psychiatrist told me that i have to take anti depressants for 6months with benzodiazepines in order to relax during the attacks. But i feel intuitively that antidepressants will interfere with my analysis and slow down its improvement. But i am not sure if it is a paranoia or reality. Does anyone take this medicines along psychoanalysis? Psychiatrists are prejudiced against analysts and that's why i can't trust to any of them.unfortunately my analyst didn't tell me a clear answer and told me what do i think about this question and that i have to make this choice for myself .i am not sure what should i do. İ don't want to ruin my psychoanalysis because i feel that it will cause some profound changes.but at the same time when i don't take anti-depressants i will not be able to do my daily self-development work.Please share your thoughts and experiences about this issue.thank you

I experienced therapy and prescriptions as an attempt to resolve being in a similar situation in terms of emotion, understanding & clarity. Of course hindsight is always clearer, and no one can really tell you which way to go...but just one person’s findings...the therapy & scripts didn’t ‘work’ for me. They added side effects, and I intuitively knew they were impeding progress rather than being a productive or efficient contribution to resolving it.

In hope it is useful or helpful for you, the therapists and psychiatrists I worked with did not seem to understand the bigger picture, the ‘emptying’ of emotional misunderstanding from the body, and the alignment of thought (specifically perspectives) & feeling being the resolve for emotional well being. This is difficult to do while experiencing emotional misunderstanding, and requires a certain ‘faith’ in letting go to realize the value, power, liberation, actuality & alignment of letting go.

I found when I zoom into the distinction & choice you are faced with acutely, there is a line flirted with between bypassing, or numbing & perpetuating suppression and suffering with therapy & scripts...and bringing fourth the releases of emotion from the body, ultimately revealing the divinity of the body. In either case, in a sense, this ultimately culminates unknowing of & parting with, or at least the realization, that there is not a past. Yet when the past is none the less coloring, filtering or infringing on present experience & therefore future outlook & creation, addressing it is paramount to understanding it, ourselves and others. To ‘make a point’, therapy & more so prescriptions can be helpful to aid, but sometimes slow the releasing down, making the experience more fitting to the responsibilities and obligations of our day to day. 

You commented that your self help practices are impeded, so that is an indication the scripts might be beneficial to the bigger scheme of your life, if I am to assume those practices contribute beneficially to work, school, or generally feeling good for being productive.  Yet, I hope you are realizing that everything you’re doing and have mentioned here is not other-than self help practices. You are helping & healing and transcending, this is it, so to speak. Where you’re at and what you’re doing could rightfully be said imo, to be the ‘real’ work. Thought I’d share that because it might shed light on a different perspective in consideration of the choice you’re thinking over. For some they flat out don’t work, for others they work brilliantly. Scripts didn’t work for me, but they worked well for some people I know closely. However, everyone I personally know who did go the route of scripts, and did benefit from them...found themselves in a place approximately one year later of having experienced much healing, and then were aware of a certain...”micro-disconnect”, or a pinch of numbing & slowing if you will, and they were inclined to slowly taper off. 

Having said all that, the ‘biggest picture’ I learned, the over arching theme, is turning pain into beauty & inspiration. Another way that could be framed, is a shift from past self to present and future self, in terms of aligned mindset, passion, and enthusiasm for living / creating. I would look for and utilize as many means of expression as you can. Really anything of emotional expression. Songwriting & singing, poetry, & trying new things I hadn’t experienced before worked for me, just to give some specific reference there. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

19 hours ago, Happy Jay said:

You're welcome. I have been doing it on and off with different therapists. I can't find one that I truly feel safe to relate to. It's maybe a reflection of my own relationships. So I've decided it's not for me. But your said that you feel the therapy can lead to good results. So apparently it suits you. Wish you all the best!

Highly recommend somatic experiencing with a psychotherapis . I’m 22 and struggle with self esteem. If anything just make sure your getting body and cognitive work. 

I have found great spiritual teachers with backgrounds in psychotherapy, maybe search that platform. I find they have more love to give in the healing process compared some of the clinical psychs out there.

@Happy Jay I read in a book that psychoanalysis is the worst form of therapy!! There also said that the best therapy is cognitive behavioral theraphy!

the book is called the psychology of fear by Christope Andre

Afterall talking all day about your problems is not going to help you in any way!!! Leo encourages psychadelic usage for desolving trauma... I feel bad that you have been traumatised as a child but remember anyone out here has been traumatised in one way or another,one more other less but everyone has trauma! I encourage you to stop taking antidepressants,to me those only numb you! Other than that once again i reasure you that everyone experiences huge amounts of pain one way of another,i mean everyone even Leo,Echart Tolle,anyone those who say that they are happy all the time are hypocrites,and pain is normal,it is normal that most of the time we feel negative emotions! Don't worry!

Also i reccomend those 2 videos! 

and this one