Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zanoni

Is there a continuation model of Cook-Greuter's ego embrace beyond the unitive stage?

7 posts in this topic

As the unitive stage consist of 0,5% of the US population. Can there something be even rarer? In 2013 i came across Bill Harris (founder of Holosync) blogpost of his explanation of Susanne Cook-Greuter's model. Instead of the ego stopping at the unitive stage, it continues through the 5 stages of tozan after as a continuation of this model.

Basically:

First stage of Tozan: Satori, realization that you way beyond this ego.

Second stage: A strive toward the Absolute that one has realized. The ego starts to identify itself more as the absolute for every other realization of it.

Third stage: The ego is totally identified with the Absolute (atleast a idea of it). As the Absolute does not have a end or beginning, the ego is then experiencing a minimum of suffering. As in in pre-first stage it was identified with its family, material things etc. which are relative and have a end and beginning. Usually somone behaves to freedomly and ignoring karmic effect in this stage.

Fourth stage: The ego is shattered into million pieces as it is disidentifiedcompletely in one blow after ignoring karmic effect and thinking " It is being in the form of God but being equal with God". Basically this is where the functions of repression and denial are shattered as the ego cannot ignore cause and effect anymore. Everything from the uncouscious rises up to be integrated as the ego is shattered at this stage. Resulting into the ultimate  "Dark night of the soul".

Fifth stage: Basically the integration of the relative and the trascendental.

Was long since i contemplated this model so take it with a grain of salt. I have some experience that i can backup this model with but will be possibly written in another post.

There is another similair model by a western mystic named Evelyn Underhill that i think is pointing toward this. She named the steps as follows:

(1)  Awakening or conversion,

(2)   Purification of the Self,

(3)   Illumination

(4)   The Dark Night of the Soul,

(5) Union or Unitive life.

I have a link of short explanation of these stages and ideas from other traditions. Example website

There are some models that can explain the ego embrace beyond the unitive stage of the Susanne Cook-Greuter's model, do we have more possible explanation models for this? Anyway, you are welcome to decostruct this idea.

(If there is someone that is interested in the explanation of the 5 stages of tozan by Bill Harris / Genpo Roshi then there is this file. As unfortunately i cannot access his blog so i have a word file that i snatched from a blog. 5stagesoftozanbillharris.doc)

“ In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”
― Shunryu Suzuki

B|

“ In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”
― Shunryu Suzuki

If you want the truly ultimate stage, it is an Infinite Singularity of Consciousness/Love that increases endlessly without end, forever.

It is a ONENESS so complete that the entire universe is extinguished forever into a infinite field of pure indifference.

The final stage is simply:

INFINITY/LOVE

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura If that is the ultimate stage where did our limited stages / the universe come from? I dont understand how a certain state if consciousness could be forever because according to murphys law it would already be happening. 

On 9/13/2020 at 1:21 AM, FlowerNote said:

@Leo Gura If that is the ultimate stage where did our limited stages / the universe come from? I dont understand how a certain state if consciousness could be forever because according to murphys law it would already be happening. 

Infinity.

Its any which way and no way.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:21 PM, FlowerNote said:

If that is the ultimate stage where did our limited stages / the universe come from?

The limited stages come from when you're not conscious enough to be in the ultimate stage.

Polarization of light is the best analogy. The purest form of light is pure white, which contains all the others. The other colors are what happens when white light gets de-unified. If you re-unify all the light in the world, you will just be left with pure white (which contains all the rest within its whiteness).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.