BipolarGrowth

Meditating for awakening is like farming as an Amish person

12 posts in this topic

For religious/spiritual purposes you denounce the use of technology (psychedelics are the technology for awakening). Sure, you can learn some cool things doing things the old fashioned way of course (although psychedelic use may pre-date meditation). 

Why take the hard road? 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Meditation is, in certain situations, at least on par with psychedelic ego death. Have you ever experienced the jhana’s? The first time I entered 2nd jhana it blew any psychedelic out of the water, in terms of its lasting effect on my ability to see life as beautiful and amazing.

This coming from someone who has used high dose LSD, ketamine, and nitrous at the same time. I know what ego death is.

In fact I get a little suspicious of psychedelics when I rarely ever see anyone here talk of the jhanas. But, self inquiry can lead to quite a bit more, and that is certainly discussed here, so I can’t complain.

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self , which practice did you follow to experience the 2nd  jhana, i.e., an altered state of consciousness?

Edited by Demeter

17 minutes ago, Demeter said:

@The0Self , which practice did you follow to experience the 2nd  jhana, i.e., an altered state of consciousness?

The Mind Illuminated

Awakening using psychedelics only is like farming using Monsanto soil practices. 

There are some key skills *and* effects meditation develops which helps with integrating and embodying these peak experiences. One without the other loses out on their massive synergetic benefits. 

@The0Self yep +1 to The Mind Illuminated. Was enormous for getting momentum with meditation. Ive found Jhana states to be very psychedelic but with a distinctive clarity and stability Ive yet to feel while tripping. There’s a groundedness I havent felt with psychedelics that only ‘Being’ in my ‘natural’ state has provided. It’s like psychedelics are too energetically active to really feel grounded and at peace. 

However, the insights, states, and experiences accessed have also played a pivotal role with meditation. It’s as though the meditation allows for an energetic integration of these absurdly powerful experiences. I can actually embody and live what the psychedelic shows rather than it being a fading memory. Interestingly, I feel that my psychedelic trips go deeper because of my meditation practice. Somehow being able to stay mindful and present during the journey helps with going deeper. 

I'd recommend following along with Rob Burbeas Jhana retreat to learn the jhanas. I have links to most of it if you search jhana guide. 

“Until you gain access concentration, you ain't got squat.”   Daniel Ingram

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk