How to be wise

How Long Does It Take To Get Enlightened

76 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Matthew Lamot said:

You didnt read the article.  That's ok.  :) You know best

No, that's not it. I don't get into teachings much anymore. "I know nothing" is a better practice for me theses days. For better or worse that's just the way I see the path that's best for me at this point. Don't get me wrong, I did at one time. Not so much anymore. I let it go of all  "knowing" for the most part in my own practice these days. I did go over it though. I will read it in it's entirety.

2 hours ago, Matthew Lamot said:

And by the way, I've been there hundreds of times.  Now every day I go there.  The deep bliss of nothingness, ignoring all objects of mind, netti netti of the knower itself, and that knower, deeper and deeper experiences of nothing.

There is another stage beyond what you describe, where it is the extinction of even awareness.  This is called the Absolute.  I'm sure I have been there, I know I am.  But each time I come out of it, the ignorance is still there, and the suffering.  So I know experiences dont mean anything, because the one "experiencing" is still some form of subtle ego, still some form of subtle duality.  Because the experiencer has no way of recording the extinction of nirvana.  We can never "experience" the Self.  

It sounds like you and I have experienced the same. And yes, the absolute as you call it. To become non-existent. No souvenirs within experience to bring back from that one, as you know. Not a shred. For me it happens after the first stage is reached-(nothingness), than the absolute non-existence happens when I allow what little is there to dissolve completely into that nothingness.  I did read that article in it's entirety. I thought it was a great.

4 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Matthew Lamot Have you ever considered just having an awakening expectance for starts? Ego-death as it is sometimes called. That can be done at any time providing your willing to let go of self. A full surrender takes only a moment. Listen to Leo's video Creating the experience of no-self and have the actual experience of what he is saying.

According to Leary, Metzer & Alpert (1964), ego death, or ego loss as they call it, is part of the (symbolic) experience of death in which the old ego must die before one can be spiritually reborn.[13] Ego loss is

... complete transcendence − beyond words, beyond space−time, beyond self. There are no visions, no sense of self, no thoughts. There are only pure awareness and ecstatic freedom from all game (and biological) involvements.

@Matthew Lamot Shit, I just realized, the above was supposed to be sent to @How to be wise , not you. I clicked on the wrong member.  Sorry, my bad! I really enjoyed our conversation though. Yea, the absolute- the non-experience!:)

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@Matthew Lamot Shit, I just realized, the above was supposed to be sent to @How to be wise , not you. I clicked on the wrong member.  Sorry, my bad! I really enjoyed our conversation though. Yea, the absolute- the non-experience!:)

i watched the Neti Neti episode because it's more new. Enlightenment is quite cool but if you spend your entire life fighting the ego, then...er... you won't be satisfied when your in your deathbed and looking over what you did with your entire life.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

i watched the Neti Neti episode because it's more new. Enlightenment is quite cool but if you spend your entire life fighting the ego, then...er... you won't be satisfied when your in your deathbed and looking over what you did with your entire life.

@How to be wise Neti-Neti is a good one too. Did you experience it directly? It can really open up the space that is what you are beyond all the silly ego stuff. Don't spend your life fighting it. See it for what is. The gross level of awareness. The surface of what is really there.

2 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@How to be wise Neti-Neti is a good one too. Did you experience it directly? It can really open up the space that is what you are beyond all the silly ego stuff. Don't spend your life fighting it. See it for what is. The gross level of awareness. The surface of what is really there.

I tried it for like a week but i didn't get any enlightenment experience so I quit 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Just now, How to be wise said:

I tried it for like a week but i didn't get any enlightenment experience so I quit 

@How to be wise Nothing wrong with that. No rush to be anywhere...... where else could you be?.xD

Just now, cetus56 said:

@How to be wise Nothing wrong with that. No rush to be anywhere...... where else could you be?.xD

Playing soccer with my friends ?

i wonder if I could meditate whilst playing soccer at the same time

3 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Playing soccer with my friends ?

i wonder if I could meditate whilst playing soccer at the same time

I got something better than meditation while playing soccer. Experience no self whilst playing soccer. Like Neo in The Matrix.  When he sees through the matrix and makes the bullets slow down. Experience the soccer field the same as Neo would have. Removed from it. There is only the ball and the awareness of it. Complete detachment. Slow everything down. Try it sometime. See what happens.

Just now, cetus56 said:

I got something better than meditation while playing soccer. Experience no self whilst playing soccer. Like Neo in The Matrix.  When he sees through the matrix and makes the bullets slow down. Experience the soccer field the same as Neo would have. Removed from it. There is only the ball and the awareness of it. Complete detachment. Slow everything down. Try it sometime. See what happens.

And then I realise that I'm the ball and the goalpost at the same time, I guess that would help me score more goals in the next match and become enlightened ? killing two birds with one stone

10 hours ago, cetus56 said:

No, that's not it. I don't get into teachings much anymore. "I know nothing" is a better practice for me theses days. For better or worse that's just the way I see the path that's best for me at this point. Don't get me wrong, I did at one time. Not so much anymore. I let it go of all  "knowing" for the most part in my own practice these days. I did go over it though. I will read it in it's entirety.

What do you get from letting go of all knowing?  If I may ask?:)

40 minutes ago, Matthew Lamot said:

Openmindedness 

3 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Openmindedness 

And whats that got to do with liberation?

10 hours ago, Matthew Lamot said:

@Matthew Lamot Emptiness, spaciousness. Freedom from the known. No structures to maintain. No concepts to uphold. All that remains is what is.      * I've noticed through practicing meditation that one of the constant hallmarks of deeper levels of awareness is the absence of all knowing.                "Silence is the language of god. All else is a poor translation" - Rumi

5 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Matthew Lamot Emptiness, spaciousness. Freedom from the known. No structures to maintain. No concepts to uphold. All that remains is what is.      * I've noticed through practicing meditation that one of the constant hallmarks of deeper levels of awareness is the absence of all knowing.                "Silence is the language of god. All else is a poor translation" - Rumi

Thanks.

In this state, can you "see" thinking?  As if you were at the end of a corridor and you are looking down the corridor and some way down it is "thinking"?

1 minute ago, Matthew Lamot said:

Thanks.

In this state, can you "see" thinking?  As if you were at the end of a corridor and you are looking down the corridor and some way down it is "thinking"?

@Matthew Lamot Yea, sometimes you can feel that a thought is rising to the surface even before it comes into full awareness. Did you ever sit there with a totally still mind and open the forum? Wow! what a contrast. It's like looking at the sun.xD

46 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Matthew Lamot Yea, sometimes you can feel that a thought is rising to the surface even before it comes into full awareness. Did you ever sit there with a totally still mind and open the forum? Wow! what a contrast. It's like looking at the sun.xD

are you enlightened?

57 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

are you enlightened?

@How to be wise Enlightenment is being empty of content. If I was enlightened, that would be content.

2 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@How to be wise Enlightenment is being empty of content. If I was enlightened, that would be content.

??? 

4 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

??? 

Enlightened people do not have spiritual practices.  Spiritual practice is another vasana.