How to be wise

How Long Does It Take To Get Enlightened

76 posts in this topic

If I do strong determination sitting everyday for one hour when will I become enlightened?

i don't want any vague answers like 'don't know' or 'years'. I'm a hard nosed kind a guy I want numerical answers only, well if you know at least.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Now or never.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Nobody can give you an accurate answer to that question. It is different for everyone.

The thing you can control is practicing self inquiry daily so do that and stop worrying when you are going to be enlighthened. It will only slow you down... 

21 minutes ago, Christian said:

Nobody can give you an accurate answer to that question. It is different for everyone.

The thing you can control is practicing self inquiry daily so do that and stop worrying when you are going to be enlighthened. It will only slow you down... 

Life is short I can't spend more than a decade on this I've got more important things to do but it would be nice if I could be enlightened early in my life 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise "I've got more important things to do"

This idea will be removed when enlightenment happens. 

Your scarcity mentality is the product of an ego that imagines it will be complete in the future. You feel incomplete and unenlightened precisely because of this mentality.

Enlightenment is not just some trinket you pick up at the candy store while you pursue success. It's an entire change in perspective and lifestyle. 

Just a heads up.

Edited by jjer94

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

Recently I have come to the conclusion that there is a final cessation of ego consciousness. What that means is simply that I believe that Enlightenment is a Constant once "achieved". It's like Ego mind is a candle burning and Nirvana is blowing out that candle. What we all have been doing is blowing and blowing on that candle, some surrender and try to breathe deeper or what have you, but the candle isn't going to blow itself out! Or is it? Idk. But my point is that if you do the work then it will be done!

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Depends on how much you want it. I doubt that 1 hour per day is enough. Just practice and slowly increase your sittings or add more sittings to your day and see where that takes you! :)

Edited by Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Hallå

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

If I do strong determination sitting everyday for one hour when will I become enlightened?

i don't want any vague answers like 'don't know' or 'years'. I'm a hard nosed kind a guy I want numerical answers only, well if you know at least.

I heard there is an app. now for the exact date, time and location that enlightenment will happen. Just plug in your age, sex, country of origin, and degree of self illusion and the app. does the rest for you.

29 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

I heard there is an app. now for the exact date, time and location that enlightenment will happen. Just plug in your age, sex, country of origin, and degree of self illusion and the app. does the rest for you.

how do we calculate this degree of self illusion? xD

@saiko Self illusion = the square root of the strength of how much you believe that you are a thing +2 divided by all your believes of "you".:P

Just now, saiko said:

how do we calculate this degree of self illusion? xD

@saiko Unfortunately, that app. is still under development haha....... All joking aside, you know, that's not a bad idea. Almost like an I.Q. test, only used to gauge how awake someone is (or not). Where's Leo? That's his next big video! The S.I. Test......:)

@How to be wise 1 hour everyday... i'd say 1 year and 6 months to 3 years till stream-entry, if you're so inclined and bring your A game to the quest.
but don't forget stream-entry is only just the start, there's A LOT to be learned after that

Edited by InsidesOut

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

I'm not going to laugh but there are many things you're not able to do with your current conciseness. If you start learning and practicing you will be amazed. But no one but you can do it. This stuff you don't find. You achieve. 

Edited by cirkussmile

On 14 August 2016 at 8:56 PM, cirkussmile said:

I'm not going to laugh but there are many things you're not able to do with your current conciseness. If you start learning and practicing you will be amazed. But no one but you can do it. This stuff you don't find. You achieve. 

Life is short and I must make the most of it. If you spend your whole life on enlightenment life will be like those monks in China or wherever, which is nice, but I only have one life and I want to do everything possible which means doing everything as quickly as possible. Awareness and stuff is great but there's more to life than just that which means you can't take your time. A rant against lifestyle minimalism. 

hey..why can we just focus on practical benefits of meditation instead of desperation to Enlightenment  through SDS. Like when  you meditate consistently the first benefits you should experience very quickly is calmness. Within a few minutes of beginning you can feel calm wash over you, it promotes the manufacture of serotonin, a chemical that effects our moods and behavior. Low levels are associated with depression and similar mental health issues. Also, as a result of this, cortisol, a stress hormone, drops to a healthier level .I dont know but the benefits of mindfulness meditation to my life is great, it makes me calm, content and happy, thats it. hehe gudluck

Edited by 30secs
second thought