narkuser

Is DMSA a supplement or a drug?

95 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Enlightenment said:

Also, recently I read Tumeric from India that I was eating in pretty large quantities was contaminated with lead cause the paint they were adding to it was made with lead, eh :|

How did you know it contained lead?

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

How did you know it contained lead?

I don't know for sure that my exact Tumeric is contaminated with lead but it's from India + I've had strong abdominal pain from using it which I didn't have at all from Tumeric bought in my local store

https://www.sciencealert.com/turmeric-laced-with-lead-is-causing-a-public-health-crisis-in-bangladesh

https://news.stanford.edu/2019/09/24/lead-found-turmeric/

I'm not buying anything that I will be putting in my mouth from India anymore

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

3 hours ago, Joel3102 said:

I tend to have bad focus and often zone out very easily. Staying still can also be hard.

Could easily be due to heavy metal toxicity.

3 hours ago, Joel3102 said:

Should I go to a naturopath to begin with? I don’t expect a GP to take it seriously as they only seem to care if something is dangerously high.

GPs definitely are clueless and won't help. Not sure about NPs. I would not trust them either.

What are some good websites or supplements that people use for Mercury? I’ve never looked into detox stuff before 

Andrew Cutler's book and protocol must be followed rigorously.

3 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

@Leo Gura You mean only tuna or all fish? I eat a lot of canned mackerel like this

Mackerel_tomato_sauce.jpg

Mackerel can contain lots of mercury.

The US gov has a list of fish and their mercury levels. Google it.

But at this point my cognitive function is so important to me that I refuse to ever eat any fish again. It's not worth it when chicken has 100 times less heavy metals than even the best, cleanest fish.

Basically, all fish is toxic if eaten regularly. If you eat it once a month, okay.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

You mean only tuna or all fish? I eat a lot of canned mackerel like this

Mackerel_tomato_sauce.jpg

There is another concern with this. Very often these things are boiled in the can along with the sauce. Tomato sauce gets so acidic that it starts breaking down the tin from the inside and effectively your main concern is no longer only mercury but aluminium as well. For example Heinz beans in Europe are made this way so essentially what you eat is a lovely aluminium soup with bunch of sugar and few beans. 

That being said mackerel is generally fairly safe to consume comparing to likes of tuna. The bigger the fish the bigger the problem. Sardines are generally safe as they have short lifespan and don't eat other fish. Wild-caught Alaskan Salmon with dark-red meat is also fine but you will pay for it 3 times as much. 

If Omega 3s is your reason for eating fish, you can also go for combination of Algae Oil and Flax oil and you'l be fine. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Mercury level of tuna: 0.35 PPM

Mercury level of mackerel: 0.05 PPM

Mercury level of salmon: 0.02 PPM

Mercury level of beef: 0.003 PPM

Mercury level of pork: 0.002 PPM

Mercury level of chicken: 0.001 PPM

FDA official toxic dose of mercury: 0.1 µg mercury/kg body weight/day

0.1ug x 81kg (175lbs) = 8.1 ug/day

16oz salmon = 453g x 0.02ug/g = 9.06 ug

1 pound of salmon > FDA's toxic daily dose of mercury. And their daily doses are utterly high.

Each pound of salmon you eat contains a daily dose of mercury poisoning. And salmon is one of the least toxic fish.

54 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

If Omega 3s is your reason for eating fish, you can also go for combination of Algae Oil and Flax oil and you'l be fine. 

If algae comes from the ocean, then it definitely has as much mercury as fish.

And even if they say its removed during processing, can you trust them?

3 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

Algae ain't fish.

Flax seeds is #1 food for Omega-3, it has more Omega 3 than fish oil. I now eat them pretty much everyday with my oat meal

Flax oil works just as fine

59 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

And even if they say its removed during processing, can you trust them?

You need animal tissue especially fat tissue to store heavy metals. Algae are primitive unicellular plants, they are just not complex enough to store pools of heavy metals.

In terms of filtration and purity claims, I don't know how trustworthy they are which is why I've always been sceptical of fish oils, it is basically an extract of fish adipose tissue, the greatest storage of mercury. This is a large grey area at the moment. 

At the same time in men, excessive supplementation of PUFAs can increase your chance of prostate growth later in life so there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. It is probably better to get most of your Omegas from plants like flax and chia and add occasional cycle of 1g flax oil + 300-400mg of algal oil. I do 2-3 cycles per year like this. 

The concern is that you need to convert a top of the chain Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA) all the way to EPA & DHA which requires several levels of elongation and desaturation (see picture). In men this conversion is poor. Somewhere about 4-8% of ALA makes it all the way to DHA If you are stressed, nutritionally deprived, alcoholic, eat a lot of sugar it is even worse. Genetic snips also apply. Flax Seeds only give you ALA. You can probably jack up ALA by eating more flax and thus convert more down the line but I believe there's a bottleneck as you only have a limited amount of dealt 5 and delta 6 desaturase enzymes capacities per unit of time (see picture) the argument for fish & fish oil is they are great source of EPA & DHA but you have to balance the risk of heavy metal contamination which is where ALgal oil (DHA rich) comes as a new alternative. It is also more ethical & ecological (but could be that algal overharvesting will also have a lot of unforeseen consequences). 

Btw when you up your Omega 3s sometimes it is possible to go overboard and cause a mild immunosuppression because you overflow your cells with Omega 3s and Your Omega 6s will drop. This can be an issue in Vegans supplementing large amounts of Omegas and avoiding other fats like nut butters and seeds. 

This is an incredibly complex topic and I feel we don't know most of it just yet 

omegas.JPG

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Leo Gura

16 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You are crazy if you are putting tuna in your mouth at all. Straight up poison.

If i you do this for some years, it will destroy your mind's ability to think, focus, and meditate.

What about this Leo :|

If you're gonna eat animal protein, fish is best, then pasture-raised eggs, and lastly pasture-raised meat.

The upside is that your clarity of mind will skyrocket! A lot energy is wasted on digesting the wrong foods.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.56.52 AM.png

Edited by Yali

2 hours ago, Yali said:

@Leo Gura

He didnt do much research 3 years ago. Tmrw he might change what he said today. Be water my friend flow.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Mercury level of tuna: 0.35 PPM

Mercury level of mackerel: 0.05 PPM

Mercury level of salmon: 0.02 PPM

Mercury level of beef: 0.003 PPM

Mercury level of pork: 0.002 PPM

Mercury level of chicken: 0.001 PPM

FDA official toxic dose of mercury: 0.1 µg mercury/kg body weight/day

0.1ug x 81kg (175lbs) = 8.1 ug/day

16oz salmon = 453g x 0.02ug/g = 9.06 ug

1 pound of salmon > FDA's toxic daily dose of mercury. And their daily doses are utterly high.

Each pound of salmon you eat contains a daily dose of mercury poisoning. And salmon is one of the least toxic fish.

This is insane. It is so easy to get poisoned. Especially after years of accumulation.

6 hours ago, electroBeam said:

Big fish eat smaller fish and accurate mercury in their body.

There's information out there suggesting that as long as the fish you are eating contains more selenium than mercury (which is the case for salmon), it's safe to consume. 

5 hours ago, Yali said:

@Leo Gura

I have since learned better.

Fish would be a great protein source if it were not so poisoned with heavy metals.

@Leo Gura Did you stop eating fish oil or just fish? 

I've been taking a lot of it and now I'm worried. 

Edited by Opo

@Opo Read about krill oil, it's not as fragile as fish oil and because it's made from smaller animals you don't have to worry about heavy metals as much.

1 hour ago, Opo said:

@Leo Gura Did you stop eating fish oil or just fish? 

I've been taking a lot of it and now I'm worried. 

I eat antarctic krill oil.

I wouldn't worry about fish oil too much. I think it's made from small fish like sardines, which have low mercury content.