Rashad

Books For History

16 posts in this topic

Hi.Can anybody recommend me good books in history?Cause I always hear about history and then try to get some books but all I get are books that are very heavy and are difficult for me to understand and indulge, they contain very advanced words.So eventually I stop reading them.

Hence first/second hand recommendations would really be appreciated and disclosing the source of these books will be as well.

thanks 

Rashad

Why not just watch documentaries? 

In my opinion the era of books is coming to an end 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

"Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari

I read the German version and it was very easy to understand and interesting. It is not about a certain event in history but rather about all of humanity. I highly recommend it.

@How to be wise I do watch documentaries but I always like to have other sources of books that I store as PDFs in my iBooks library.

Edited by Rashad

Guns, Germs and Steel. 

And if you're from the US, Lies My Teacher Told Me. 

But thanks for both!Why is it better if I'm from the US.

6 hours ago, Rashad said:

But thanks for both!Why is it better if I'm from the US.

I recommend Guns Germs and Steel no matter where you're from. The subtitle to Lies My Teacher Told Me is "everything your American history teacher got wrong", so it's obviously geared toward people who were taught American history growing up. The version of history we're taught in an average public school here is extremely biased, as I think it probably is in public schools in a lot of countries. But if you grew up in Oman you'd get more from a book designed to deprogram some of the nonsensical things you were likely taught in your countries specific preferred version of history. 

But if you grew up in Oman you'd get more from a book designed to deprogram some of the nonsensical things you were likely taught in your countries specific preferred version of history. Have a look at Oman Visa Online if you wish to travel to Oman.