Raze

USC Professor put on leave after using Chinese word that sounds like racial slur

20 posts in this topic

This is ridiculous. At this point I believe the far left has been infiltrated by stage red people who happen to have leftist ideals. They behave the exact same as stage red, just with liberal beliefs.

@Raze That isn’t stage red, that’s just unhealthy green. Stage red would be beating this guy up for saying that; unhealthy green would be getting him fired. 

It’s still unhealthy behaviour, but not nearly on the level of red.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

@Apparition of Jack With that logic you could also say that Donald Trump isn't stage red because he hasn't beaten up someone yet.

I'm curious to have a more in depth discussion though about the difference between unhealthy green and red, because sometimes I find them hard to distinguish.

In the context of this being university students I would feel confident that this is just unhealthy green, but I don't think that there's anything in the action ( seen seperately) that could exclude red.

Edited by w4read

“It was confirmed that the pronunciation of this word is much different than what Professor Patton described in class,” the students wrote. “The word is most commonly used with a pause in between both syllables. In addition, we have lived abroad in China and have taken Chinese language courses at several colleges and this phrase, clearly and precisely before instruction is always identified as a phonetic homonym and a racial derogatory term, and should be carefully used, especially in the context of speaking Chinese within the social context of the United States.”

typical over exaggeration of the "far left" GOING TOO FAR!! Also he has not been placed on some sort of administrative/punitive leave. He has been replaced by another instructor until the situation is better understood and cools down. he has not lost his job. 

https://news.yahoo.com/usc-professor-placed-leave-black-214134519.html

Is this a misunderstanding? Yes. Can you understand why black students in the class are currently really touchy on the subject and may overreact or lash out? 

The right loves to over exaggerate stuff like this as a form of projection.  

Edited by Lyubov

When the intention was not to be racist, it's not racism. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Lyubov said:

typical over exaggeration of the "far left" GOING TOO FAR!! Also he has not been placed on some sort of administrative/punitive leave. He has been replaced by another instructor until the situation is better understood and cools down. he has not lost his job. 

Is this a misunderstanding? Yes. Can you understand why black students in the class are currently really touchy on the subject and may overreact or lash out? 

You say this to a right-winger, they're gonna be like 'Alright. You want to play dirty? Fine. I'm gonna vote for Trump.'

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

25 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

You say this to a right-winger, they're gonna be like 'Alright. You want to play dirty? Fine. I'm gonna vote for Trump.'

uh ok? what's your point?

From a right-winger's perspective, when a university pulls an 'SJW-move' like that, it comes across as a threat to collective safety. It comes across as 'Now I'm gonna lose my job cuz I said a word? No, I'm gonna lose my job cuz you mis-heard a word from me? You can make anything up to take me out in that case!' When collective safety is threatened, people lean more to the right. Their inner Stage Blue gets activated and they start taking more responsibility for collective safety.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

3 hours ago, Lyubov said:

This context is not remotely a defense of what happened. His pronunciation was not that off, you can see many videos of Chinese people using it and it sounds very similar. He wasn't using the word, they know it, so why are they offended? It's pretty sad you're trying to justify someones job going into jeopardy over this. No, I can't understand why this is a touchy subject for black students because he had nothing to do with it, and he wasn't using the word, and they know he wasn't using the word. If children want to lash out it is the job of adults to not react to it. The article you linked says he was put on leave.

The students accused the professor of displaying “negligence and disregard” in using the word and said he “conveniently stop[ped] the zoom recording right before saying the word,” calling his actions calculated. 

“Our mental health has been affected,” the group continued. “It is an uneasy feeling allowing him to have the power over our grades. We would rather not take his course than to endure the emotional exhaustion of carrying on with an instructor that disregards cultural diversity and sensitivities and by extension creates an unwelcome environment for us Black students

“No matter what way you look at this, the word was said multiple times today in three different instances and has deeply affected us. In light of the murders of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and the recent and continued collective protests and social awakening across the nation, we cannot let this stand,” the group concluded, before calling for an immediate remedy to the situation. 

Lol, this is ridiculous. These students were not harmed at all by what happened and are just doing this because they can. In a sane world you would understand he was not using the word and do nothing. Don't you find it funny their response, rather than being a reasonable thing like send him an email telling him the way he pronounced the word sounded like a slur, they instantly jump to "He's harming out mental health!!!" and reported him to his superiors, accused him of taking a calculated action and being racist. Yes he clearly calculated that if he brought up a chinese word as an example he could get away with saying the n word infront of his students, because reasons. 

Edited by Raze

Just more silly culture war stuff.

Watch how you feed the culture wars.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

40 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Just more silly culture war stuff.

Watch how you feed the culture wars.

People's livelihoods are on the line.

@Raze Would you be ok if he got fired if he stared at the black kid every time he used that Chinese word. 

Be careful not to equate all forms of transgression with stage red. Tier 1 in general can get very nasty at times.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

According to his CV, Patton describes himself as “an expert in communication, interpersonal and leadership effectiveness”.

How ironic.

27 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

According to his CV, Patton describes himself as “an expert in communication, interpersonal and leadership effectiveness”.

How ironic.

LOL

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 hours ago, Parththakkar12 said:

People's livelihoods are on the line.

No one's job is on the line... good lord

actually read how the university responded 

28 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

No one's job is on the line... good lord

actually read how the university responded 

I completely understand what you're saying. You and I can sit all day and discuss the nuances of the situation. My point is that when you dismissed this situation as 'no big deal, over-exaggerated by right-wingers', you lost the vote of a centrist-type, someone who isn't fully sure of which way they lean.

It's important that we collectively take responsibility for the fact that Trump is in office and we pay attention to why it's happened.

@Parththakkar12 When you wrestle with a pig, both of you get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.

Beware of buying into right-wing framed debates.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

17 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

I completely understand what you're saying. You and I can sit all day and discuss the nuances of the situation. My point is that when you dismissed this situation as 'no big deal, over-exaggerated by right-wingers', you lost the vote of a centrist-type, someone who isn't fully sure of which way they lean.

It's important that we collectively take responsibility for the fact that Trump is in office and we pay attention to why it's happened.

I'm not for courting centrists. If someone is considering voting Trump after five years of what has unfolded they to me are already lost to the right wing. I'm not convinced courting centrists is what wins elections for the left either. Instead, motivating and energizing our current base for a large turnout, courting new and first time voters, and of course lessening barriers that make it difficult for certain groups of people to cast their vote. 

17 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Parththakkar12 When you wrestle with a pig, both of you get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.

Beware of buying into right-wing framed debates.

I understand your desire to point at them and say 'That's a deluded person!' I'm not calling you partisan - you probably are right from a systemic perspective. I also understand your desire to beat Trump.

What I'm trying to call out is our way of dealing with right-wingers. What I'm suggesting is that we be more kind to them, given their current situations. Cancel culture is a whole situation right now. If you have a family you're providing for with your well-paying job and you post just a little tweet that doesn't align with the Left, you could get cancelled! That's the sustenance of your whole family at risk.