Consept

Robert Greene on Irrational thinking

10 posts in this topic

Interesting vid from Greene, i would say hes around stage yellow. Touches on current situation with corona virus, conspiracy theories, US situation and why we believe what we believe. Would recommend putting playback speed to 1.25 as he speaks so slowly but good content anyway - 

Watch it (in 1.0) the day it came out or so. I find it inspiring to hear him talk, it seems like he isn't used to it. I imagine he lives as a hermit and reads all day.

To the Content.. I remember his point on Social Media, that it amplifies the Irrationality. That it's dangerous. He has a Point that Rationality will keep us alive in hard times, but what is Rationality without Emotions? Nothing. So to me it's more about Individual Thinking opposed to Group Think, which is way harder as most People think. I for example cam to the Conclusion that I fall into the Traps of Group thinks all the time. Sometimes it's normal for convenience  because you just can't know everything. But I estimate that everybody can profit from think for himself, which is ironically almost a meme to me meaning quite the opposite (like Leo talked about in his 9 Stages of Ego Development Video)

10 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

He has a Point that Rationality will keep us alive in hard times, but what is Rationality without Emotions? Nothing

Why can you not think rationally and have emotions? One doesnt exclude the other. For example i could not believe in something like flat earth due to rational thinking but still be emotional. Its not a binary thing although i can see how if you only learnt rational thinking you may get stuck in a materialist paradigm, but of course you could also learn things beyond rational thinking, but i believe rational or critical thinking should be taught in schools and we should all have an understanding of it to help us get to relative truths. Otherwise everyone will end up being taken in by cults and ideologies, which is whats happening 

I didn't watch the video but reading the thread here I assume it's mainly about criticism of irrationality and magnifying rationality in comparison, which to me, is a complete joke. I can't even start to think of an answer to this because it itself is based on irrational fear of death. For some reasons, the human mind seems to be conditioned to desire control in order to live as long as possible. But is control really important? The main difference between rationality and irrationality is the difference between chaos and order. Or in other words, how controlling and manipulative a mind is.

What makes any argument for rationality silly, is the unexpectedness of the future. Someone who is afraid of covid could be taking all the precautions and then somehow catch the virus and die. And someone else who may be indifferent to the whole thing may not even catch the virus, or heal quickly. Really there's no way to guarantee a longer life. It's impossible by all means. My golden rule: you could always die by getting hit by a bus.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

37 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

I didn't watch the video but reading the thread here I assume it's mainly about criticism of irrationality and magnifying rationality in comparison, which to me, is a complete joke

You'd need to watch it before casting a judgement, he's not really talking about what you're talking about 

3 minutes ago, Consept said:

You'd need to watch it before casting a judgement, he's not really talking about what you're talking about 

Oops! ??

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

9 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

I didn't watch the video but reading the thread here I assume(...)

lol.

9 hours ago, Consept said:

Why can you not think rationally and have emotions? One doesnt exclude the other. For example i could not believe in something like flat earth due to rational thinking but still be emotional. Its not a binary thing although i can see how if you only learnt rational thinking you may get stuck in a materialist paradigm, but of course you could also learn things beyond rational thinking, but i believe rational or critical thinking should be taught in schools and we should all have an understanding of it to help us get to relative truths. Otherwise everyone will end up being taken in by cults and ideologies, which is whats happening 

You use Rationality to make sense of a Situation, which is good. Then you observe your Emotions in the Process and THEN come to a Conclusion, which is far wiser, if done rightly, then just rational Thinking alone. This is what I claim.

Flat Earth Theory is too extreme. What about things YOU (and I) do every day which are very Rational but won't work or are nuts? There are a lot of Instances where a little Compassion and Humility makes a Rational Estimation to an even better Decision.

Of course many people have the Problem that they don't do the Research or can't think that Rational because they never learnt. Assuming you mastered it like the average adult in first World Countries, Emotions boost your development. Don't be so fucking clever and rational... especially what other do. Btw I don't preach here done, it's more like I'm speaking to myself.

Robert Greene meant that they is TOO MUCH Emotions, not Rationality. That's true to me. The Majority need WAY MORE Rational Thinking and less Emotion Driven Action Planing

Edited by supremeyingyang

or is irrational just a matter of a conflict of some peoples reasoning is more 1st person and literal. leaving life just a matter of like or dislike, agree and disagree think as to a more 3rd party or person thinking of the whole picture. being rational and reasonal using situation, circumstance, logic. inferance to ratiocination aspect which for me are the ones more spiritual conscience and aware over the other thinkings. but with and understand of 1st person 2nd person can be an education and emotional conflict. and 3rd person a more reasonable consideration rationality to the whole picture and not your self pertain world thinking objectional and subjectional viewing not just 1 or the other. Make the gears work metaphorically  unsubjective and unobjectional viewing or isolate to one view or multi tasking them together to function as a whole!!!!! collective reasoning !

18 hours ago, LuciusV63 said:

or is irrational just a matter of a conflict of some peoples reasoning is more 1st person and literal. leaving life just a matter of like or dislike, agree and disagree think as to a more 3rd party or person thinking of the whole picture. being rational and reasonal using situation, circumstance, logic. inferance to ratiocination aspect which for me are the ones more spiritual conscience and aware over the other thinkings. but with and understand of 1st person 2nd person can be an education and emotional conflict. and 3rd person a more reasonable consideration rationality to the whole picture and not your self pertain world thinking objectional and subjectional viewing not just 1 or the other. Make the gears work metaphorically  unsubjective and unobjectional viewing or isolate to one view or multi tasking them together to function as a whole!!!!! collective reasoning !

what