benmitchell2812

Elliott Hulse on Meditation

50 posts in this topic

Elliott recently shed light on this about meditation (what are your guy's thoughts?) :

"It started when one of my successful friends winced at the mention of meditation.

He told me:

I can't do that stuff anymore, it makes your mind blank.

He told me he'd been meditating a lot. So much that his mind was completely blank. Like a desert. Tumbleweeds and all.

And obviously this has big implications for an entrepreneur, or any man on his hero's journey.

I didn't know at the time that my friend was referring to meditation sickness.

Yes, meditation can make you sick.

And no, it's not some woo-woo phenomenon. Most of the eastern religions have recognized meditation sickness as a normal occurrence.

Recently, I heard about one from a psychologist who “meditated so hard” she began tossing and turning in her sleep, became supremely anxious, had shortness of breath, and became overwhelmingly emotional.

In another more serious case, meditation apparently triggered a suicide."

Buddhists, Hindus, and other eastern religions have been aware of “meditation sickness” for hundreds of years.

The root cause of this strange ailment is a disconnection from the outside world and letting the mind go blank.

And that's the main reason why I no longer meditate - Letting the mind go blank alone is dangerous.

It’s like preparing the soil in the garden without planting anything.

Weeds will almost certainly infest your garden.

The same goes for the mind.

If you wipe it clean with meditation and leave it blank, you’re leaving your mind vulnerable to outside forces - demons, spirits, and negative beta thoughts.

You need to install new alpha software, add new files, and occupy that empty space with constructive thoughts to become a better man.

24 minutes ago, benmitchell2812 said:

Letting the mind go blank alone is dangerous.

Said the ego-mind ;)

Lol

How about filling the mind with macho human bullshit? Maybe that's more dangerous?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Said the ego-mind ;)

Lol

How about filling the mind with macho human bullshit? Maybe that's more dangerous?

Haha Ah yes the old switcheroo ???

Well, he does have his own point of view on this, which is ofc the complete opposite of Leos teachings.
That's why it'll cause conflict between this forum and Eliot, atleast for now.

Remember that Eliot is not a spiritual teacher, but more of a life coach for young men. That's why his point of view on spirituality are the way they are, there is no need to judge him for that IMO.

Elliot was an OK dude in his prime days. Now he just spreads his ideology as an ALPHA male wanting everyone to be like how he sees the world. Which has it's cons and pros. I actually no longer watch him as he has became this somewhat toxic over-masculine male

Mahadev

2 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

Remember that Eliot is not a spiritual teacher, but more of a life coach for young men.

Deluding people from Truth is very dangerous in the long run, he just pumps bad ideas about meditation to his followers and some of them WILL believe it and spread it to others. He probably has no idea what kind of influence he actually has on people.

Mahadev

We did it guys, we've found the wisest sage on the planet to give us fatwas on this topic of meditation. Who else but Elliot Hulse is the ultimate authority on this contentious issue? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

4 hours ago, benmitchell2812 said:

If you wipe it clean with meditation and leave it blank, you’re leaving your mind vulnerable to outside forces - demons, spirits, and negative beta thoughts.

You need to install new alpha software, add new files, and occupy that empty space with constructive thoughts to become a better man.

This alpha/beta shit physically hurts to read.

The existence of cringey + myopic beliefs like this are exactly why it's in one's interest to "let the mind go blank."

It's Love.

Breaking News: Fox who guards hen house issues strong warning against leaving hen house unguarded ;)

5 hours ago, benmitchell2812 said:

eg Replace the bullshit with a better class of bullshit and congratulate yourself for your work.

1 minute ago, Corpus said:

eg Replace the bullshit with a better class of bullshit and congratulate yourself for your work.

Funny, I guess there is some truth to it! :D 

This whole Beta/Alpha binary shit is a relative concept and doesn't apply in a real sense to today's world. The concept was coined with regard to the world of animals where physical domination determines their behavior in a pack.

It's not a "thing" in the human world. In the human beings world physical strength is not the most important survival factor anymore. In fact it is becoming less and less important by the progression of civilization. Unless a fight breaks out or somebody is getting assaulted physical toughness does not usually figure as important or significant.

Obviously, your environment and your unique skill set relative to that environment confers you your status in society. To illustrate: A 300-pound MMA fighter is considered "the Apha" in a gym........ but not necessarily so when he is in a beach somewhere swimming in the ocean (Where he is at the mercy of the lifeguards to watch and save his ass from drowning......) or not when the same fighter sojourns in a foreign country....where he depends on the locals for protection or even for speaking the language.

In the business world, corporate execs are widely known as alphas when dealing with all the employees and underlings. But not necessarily so when they fly with their pilot in a helicopter thousands of feet up in the air!!! It's not the executive who runs the show!!!  There and then, the pilot are so-called alphas. Or when the same executive's car beaks down while driving with their family at 3 am in the middle of nowhere.....Some car mechanic will come along and play than alpha savior role.... and Mr executive better listen and follow his orders!!!

Because the survival is a much more complex matter in humans, the alpha/beta characterization is a false concept. However, that doesn't stop salesmen/cult leaders/politicians to employ it as yet another manipulation tactic to control people......

Edited by Merkabah

There is value in the alpha/beta distinction in the sense that you can turn yourself into a much stronger man. Not physically stronger per se, but spiritually stronger.

You can become a lion among men. Which is a good thing. But it must be genuine strength rooted in consciousness and Love, not some frat-boy machismo which is compensating for insecurity, fear, and lack of consciousness.

Teaching men how to be strong is a great and important teaching. You just have to be careful not to turn it into toxic masculinity, which is all too easy.

That dude lost the plot somewhere down the line...

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

There is value in the alpha/beta distinction in the sense that you can turn yourself into a much stronger man. Not physically stronger per se, but spiritually stronger.

You can become a lion among men. Which is a good thing. But it must be genuine strength rooted in consciousness and Love, not some frat-boy machismo which is compensating for insecurity, fear, and lack of consciousness.

Teaching men how to be strong is a great and important teaching. You just have to be careful not to turn it into toxic masculinity, which is all too easy.

100% agree.

People with love-based strength don't tout this distinction as a brand though. When every other word out of Mr. Hulse's mouth is "alpha," you know that's some fear shit :D

It's Love.

What would you guys choose: a blank beta mind or an angry alpha mind?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.