TravisB

Cortisol Shock on Psychedelics

10 posts in this topic

Any disruptive noise in my environment sends an shock that feels like an injection of cortisol, adrenaline and anger through my body. 

Worst time was during a recent 25 mg DPT trip, an ambulance drove by and instantly my body was flooded with intense anxiety, stress, anger.  I had to take a cold shower to calm myself down and even then it lingered for an hour.  My heart felt like it had a bruise the rest of the day.

My sensitivity to noises persists days after tripping and especially during deep contemplation.  I now fear these "shocks" and it is causing me to resist. 

Ear plugs don't seem to be enough since I still can hear sharp noises.  I have not tried trip music yet. I live with roommate in a city.  Is this something I need to work through or will I need to take drastic noise reduction measures (like moving out of the city/not having roommates)?  Please share any advise for how you've overcome issues like this.

Edited by TravisB

Are you sure you don't feel anything similar when you don't trip, less disruptive, but still there? 

@purerogue I still get it. Just like you said, less disruptive but still there.

@Member Yes but never this bad.  Pyschedelics seem to pushing me much deeper with as a consequence is making this issue much worse.

I will try using trip music and see if that works. If not I may need to move out...

4 hours ago, TravisB said:

@purerogue I still get it. Just like you said, less disruptive but still there.

Find place in which you feel comfortable, safe when you use substances, it will most likely take forever to overcome thous reactions.

Thing to note: Is it something that started recently and lasting for lets say  month, or it has been  like this for years.

If it is recent occurrence you should probably move , or take time of your regular stuff to get yourself together, as it most likely is from  stress, some disturbance in your day to day life.

If it is something you are living with for years best I can do is give you possible reasons  to look into.

Harsh noises, you say? Where are my metal buddies? xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@TravisB I find DPT to be particularly stimulating to (what feels like) the cortisol system. When I take DPT I feel a bit like a cat prowling in the night, senses super alert, on hyper alert for dangers.

It sounds like this aspect of the trip might be even more pronounced for you. Maybe DPT isn't a good fit for you if it's too extreme and getting uncomfortable. 

You can try reducing this response by ensuring that you're in a really safe space, and by playing some nice music that you love and that makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. Music is magical in the way it can colour a trip.

Also, make sure you are hydrated, rested and fed leading into the trip. You don't want to be full, but if you're going into your trip emaciated, that can have an edgy effect on the trip - for me at least, I know a lot of people advocate fasting prior to the trip, and that can be very powerful as well.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@TravisB

18 hours ago, TravisB said:

Any disruptive noise in my environment sends an shock that feels like an injection of cortisol, adrenaline and anger through my body. 

Worst time was during a recent 25 mg DPT trip, an ambulance drove by and instantly my body was flooded with intense anxiety, stress, anger.  I had to take a cold shower to calm myself down and even then it lingered for an hour.  My heart felt like it had a bruise the rest of the day.

My sensitivity to noises persists days after tripping and especially during deep contemplation.  I now fear these "shocks" and it is causing me to resist. 

Ear plugs don't seem to be enough since I still can hear sharp noises.  I have not tried trip music yet. I live with roommate in a city.  Is this something I need to work through or will I need to take drastic noise reduction measures (like moving out of the city/not having roommates)?  Please share any advise for how you've overcome issues like this.

This is what you get for not preparing yourself first! Now you realistically have limited options in resolving this problem, but I'll give some suggestions as I've faced a similar problem but on a more dangerous psychedelic:

Find a quiet place of solitude. I used an isolation tank at a natural setting.

Use a detoxing program. I've instead switched my lifestyle to celibate.

Also, this might be a good time to switch spiritual practices, or contemplate deeper. However, if this is truly fearsome, then solidly abstain from whatever spiritual practice or psychedelic you're consuming, until you return to normal. More important, don't forget this incident.