andyjohnsonman

Investigating awareness

16 posts in this topic

Jiddu Krishnamurti talks about investigating everything for yourself and not believing anything you read or hear and i'm at the point now where I can remain in the silence for a while. I don't know if this silence is the awareness or if I am aware of the silence? but  how can you know that this awareness is omnipresent and all there is? To me it feels like I have this space of awareness in just the same way that others could also have their own space of awareness. I know the theory that awareness includes me so all there is is awareness but as Krishnautri says don't believe the theory go investigate for yourself - that's true spirituality, and at the point im at now it feels like I have my own awareness just as others do.

1 hour ago, andyjohnsonman said:

Jiddu Krishnamurti talks about investigating everything for yourself and not believing anything you read or hear and i'm at the point now where I can remain in the silence for a while. I don't know if this silence is the awareness or if I am aware of the silence? but  how can you know that this awareness is omnipresent and all there is? To me it feels like I have this space of awareness in just the same way that others could also have their own space of awareness. I know the theory that awareness includes me so all there is is awareness but as Krishnautri says don't believe the theory go investigate for yourself - that's true spirituality, and at the point im at now it feels like I have my own awareness just as others do.

Imagine a shiny jewel with many polished faces. That is awareness. Your awareness occupies one of those faces, and has its own unique perspective and reflections, as do all other points of view, but they are all faces of the same connected thing. 

That is how one can view the sense of being a separate and distinct awareness. 

Yea but that's just a theory, I need to see this in my direct experience. I was thinking how it would ever be possible to see this from direct experience because all you will ever have is the awareness and then when it comes back to the mind, the mind will see it as however it wants. Maybe there are certain questions that need to be asked to investigate into what exactly this awareness is. 

6 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@andyjohnsonman

There’s no mind. 

Im sure there isn't but that's just another belief from my perspective. I just want some pointers to help investigate what this awareness is. 

@andyjohnsonman

The question is obvious: "Who am I?"
Your best bet is to use spiritual practices like psychedelics, yoga, meditation if you really want to know the answer ;) 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

On 8/29/2020 at 9:09 AM, Spaceofawareness said:

Imagine a shiny jewel with many polished faces. That is awareness. Your awareness occupies one of those faces, and has its own unique perspective and reflections, as do all other points of view, but they are all faces of the same connected thing. 

That is how one can view the sense of being a separate and distinct awareness. 

Awareness doesn't have many faces or points of views. Is what is behind the experience and the points of view. In my personal experience, there are not different awareness since what I refer to awareness has no end, beginning, opinions, or points of views, or even a Self. Is something that is before concepts, before learning, before conception.

So if you feel like you are aware of the silence then you are not in awareness itself. 

Might be wrong though, but that is how I experienced.

Edited by Neuroknot

@andyjohnsonman If I insert myself into your situation, I would say that what is you're calling silence isn't true silence. There are many things unnoticed and not investigated still.

For the life of me I still haven't figured out what the fuck a physical body or bodily awareness means. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Awareness is merely inferred. It has no qualities. If it had discernible qualities it would be IN Awareness. Anything you experience, even if it seems like “awareness,” is not this supposed Awareness.

On 29/08/2020 at 11:46 AM, andyjohnsonman said:

This is great stuff. However here you are mixing up the empty awareness with an object awareness (your mind/ego self) We all have different ego self identity but we all have the same objectless consciousness. Why and how can I be certain that your formless awareness/consciousness and my formless awareness/consciousness are the same? Well this comes not from direct experience, but from asking the simple question. Can there be two different no-things? There can exist differences only when we speak about things. EG: Your mind is different to my mind , your thoughts different to my thoughts. The empty space? "My" empty space has no location and size, "your" empty space has no location and size... Well dawg, that means they are the same space....

A thought and a sound are different appearances in awareness. But no-thought and no-sound are the very same no-thing awareness. It's the root of everything, what everything in existence is connected to. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

I'm pretty much at this point in my practise as well. This is what I like to remind myself of when I try to solve this intellectually: If awareness is everything and is 'under' every experience, then "I" don't need to do anything or figure out anything. Just be with the silence.

4 hours ago, The0Self said:

Awareness is merely inferred. It has no qualities. If it had discernible qualities it would be IN Awareness. Anything you experience, even if it seems like “awareness,” is not this supposed Awareness.

Yeah but one must not forget that this is just one step... All those experiences in awareness have no other reality to them other than that formless awareness that knows them. So after merging with all experience - all objects -  with every sound, sight, thought, feeling and sensation in the present moment, one realises that they are all made out of the same knowing and they can never exist independent of that knowing. Its like the awareness is the root and all objects of experience are the different branches, leaves and fruit of the tree. But all are one tree ultimately

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

7 hours ago, Dodo said:

Yeah but one must not forget that this is just one step... All those experiences in awareness have no other reality to them other than that formless awareness that knows them. So after merging with all experience - all objects -  with every sound, sight, thought, feeling and sensation in the present moment, one realises that they are all made out of the same knowing and they can never exist independent of that knowing. Its like the awareness is the root and all objects of experience are the different branches, leaves and fruit of the tree. But all are one tree ultimately

Yes. Can awareness stand alone without all those objects though? If it can, and if it doesn’t truly exist, then it is existence itself. And if it doesn’t exist it can’t be finite, so it’s infinite. Since the infinite can’t know the finite, awareness and its objects are not different from each other.

Edited by The0Self

You are using questions (language).

That is not the kind of investigation Krishnamurti is referring to.

Investigation = Observing reality without using the thought categories you have learn through your life.

Edited by RedLine

53 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Yes. Can awareness stand alone without all those objects though? If it can, and if it doesn’t truly exist, then it is existence itself. And if it doesn’t exist it can’t be finite, so it’s infinite. Since the infinite can’t know the finite, awareness and its objects are not different from each other.

Perhaps using the tree analogy, awareness alone is a seed, full of potentiality, infinite potential but empty of content (no branches and fruits).