Anton Rogachevski

100% Authentic?

27 posts in this topic

If you live "under the surface", when your true thoughts and feelings are left unexpressed, you are inauthentic.
I believe this problem is unique to humans, or at least, a by-product of excessive use of language and symbols.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

3 minutes ago, tsuki said:

If you live "under the surface", when your true thoughts and feelings are left unexpressed, you are inauthentic.
I believe this problem is unique to humans, or at least, a by-product of excessive use of language and symbols.

Can't a person be authentically introverted and not very expressive?

Just imagine, if everyone starts to be very authentic in expressing to us, with every interaction with us how they feel about us, we'd commit suicide, believe me.

Absolute authenticity in dealing with everything will make the World a living hell. 

It is a good thing that humans know how to deal with the world with proper discretion. Thus, the default nice mode when dealing with strangers.

You don't go to an ugly person and say you are ugly. 

But, authenticity is an absolute necessity with one's own self for the sake of one's own improvement. If you keep justifying all the wrong things that you do without admitting to yourself that you do have behavioral patterns and habits which are not healthy, then there's no possibility for improvement.

Edited by PopoyeSailor

2 hours ago, Anton Rogachevski said:

Can't a person be authentically introverted and not very expressive?

Contrary to popular belief, introversion and extroversion are not about being expressive or not.  It's about the direction of energy in the psyche:

• Introverts recharge when engaging with their interior, while they discharge when interacting with exterior
  • Extroverts recharge when engaging with their exterior, while they discharge when interacting with interior

Lack of expressiveness in introverts is only present when they are overwhelmed, when something constantly drains them of their energy. When I was referring to "living under the surface", I meant that you know what your truth is, but choose not to express it. That is equally possible for introverts and extroverts. When you express something, it may, or may not be with alignment with you. It's about living the way that feels right.

There is also a very harmful stereotype concerning introverts that they are shy, anxious and asocial. It's not true.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

That's not being authentic IMO. Authenticity doesn't mean you say any thought that pops into your head. 

@Anton Rogachevski How I understand authenticity is what you truly are beneath your ego and all the thought stories about who/how you are. There's many layers to our personality and the more you become aware that this persona is just a set of beliefs about yourself, the more authentic you become. 

So I would say that we can definitely act inauthentically and it's basically any time you're not in tune with your true nature and you're acting from your ego. 

Since all of us (or most of us) play this game, it can be useful to not be 100% authentic in order to survive in this world. Just be mindful of when you're acting this way so it doesn't cause you too much suffering. 

There are quite a lot of "disorders" that can keep you away from expressing yourself, they hijack you, if that is what you mean by authentic. 

Edited by purerogue

Being authentic is not about saying every thought that passes through your mind.
It's about listening to your body, feeling what is the right thing to do, and actually doing it.
It's not about giving into the impulses (but it's also not about suppressing them).
It's not about thinking what you should do (but it's also not about being rash).
It's about doing things in a deliberate, meaningful and conscious way.

Edited by tsuki

Maybe try things which will seem fake at first.

Only by playing around, falling over and getting hurt do children learn the boundaries of the world and their bodies. Likewise, not untill you push yourself into danger and play will you even get an inkling of what this self that's to be authentic even is. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

42 minutes ago, lmfao said:

Maybe try things which will seem fake at first.

Only by playing around, falling over and getting hurt do children learn the boundaries of the world and their bodies. Likewise, not untill you push yourself into danger and play will you even get an inkling of what this self that's to be authentic even is. 

True dat

@Anton Rogachevski completely letting go. No thoughts arises what others think , no limitations with thoughts. Body moves with effortless power. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

2 hours ago, tsuki said:

Being authentic is not about saying every thought that passes through your mind.
It's about listening to your body, feeling what is the right thing to do, and actually doing it.
It's not about giving into the impulses (but it's also not about suppressing them).
It's not about thinking what you should do (but it's also not about being rash).

Side-note...happy for you man. ?? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

4 hours ago, tsuki said:

shy, anxious and asocial

As an introvert for me all those are true, but i guess it's not a rule of thumb.

4 hours ago, tsuki said:

Great and precise definition! 

Edited by Anton Rogachevski

28 minutes ago, Anton Rogachevski said:

No idea, what's yours and how is it transcended?

There‘s no me or not me to be mine.

I like to think I'm not in any pardigm since it's not of any use.

That is a thought of you, not you, and yes, it is not useful to a thought of you, only to the liberation of you. 

Consider the logic being employed, that all paradigms have been transcended yet you’re asking if it’s possible to be absolutely authentic. 

The paradigm you’re in is materialism, being a solid separate “you”. But that you is a thought, which ‘itself’ isn’t solid, separate, or material.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm

Yes, you may use the non-dual paradigm to solve all questions, but some questions are still worth asking.
The question of being authentic is of the psychological domain, and I guess you may say that awakening is the ultimate authenticity.

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

That is a thought of you

Or so it appears from a subjective point of view. There are just appearances, so how can we even tell?  Are we back again to imagining that our subjective experience is the objective truth?

Edited by Anton Rogachevski

It helps to ask the question, why do I really want to be authentic, or, why do I want to see myself as authentic? Why do I want others to be authentic, how do i feel around them? At its core it's about wanting to feel accepted, loved and ok. Then we go straight for examining that feeling rather than trying to judge ourselves and others based on our standard of authenticity, which is based on ideas of good and bad.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

9 hours ago, Anton Rogachevski said:

Is it possible to be absolutley authentic? How can anything in nature be inauthentic? 

Authentic vs. In-authentic is a construct we create. It has practical value in life, yet is still a construct nonetheless. For example, how can a dog be “in-authentic”? Obviously it can’t. A dog has no concept of authenticity. However it expresses itself is authentic: barking, peeing in the house, attacking another dog, licking someone’s face - all authentic.

Similarly, we could say that whatever a person is doing is authentic. A person being dishonest and manipulating others is authentically dishonestly manipulating others. Yet at the personal and community levels, an idea of authenticity has wellness value.

Rather than intellectual constructs, I like to focus more on feelings. What does being inauthentic feel like? If I go on a date and lie to her about my life experience, interests and intentions - how does that feel the rest of the day? It feels crappy, because I am being inauthentic. Then I have to pretend to be somebody that doens’t feel right. Then I have to create all sorts of stories to rationalize why my inauthentic behavior is ok and I start feeling worse.