Leo Gura

Great Channel: Some More News

43 posts in this topic

Hope the post office is saved before the election 

On a somewhat related note I'm using UPS now to ship packages cause I don't want them to get caught up or something. Expensive though to ship via ups...

@Lyubov Anecdotally, my USPS has been delivering packages speedily with no problems.

Shopping with UPS doesn't really help this problem. USPS needs your biz.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yeah you're right and I'll continue to do so. Had an eBay package worth a lot of money I wanted to make sure would get there. In other related news a judge has called on the Trump administration to explain in the next 10 days the problems with the USPS.

10 minutes ago, datamonster said:

Well, there are even stage orange resources that are more nuanced than this. Just because Some More News is stage green doesn't automatically mean it is better.

Gimme some orange nuance. 

Maybe we could use a megathread of healthy vs unhealthy real world examples for all stages of the spiral.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@datamonster @SunCat

6 hours ago, datamonster said:

I'm not a fan of Some More News to be honest.

Even if he's right on many issues, I don't think watching this is a quality way to research a topic critically. This show polarizes people and contributes to a kind of us-versus-them mentality, group think and basically tribalism because it's so one-sided.

All that he's really doing is making a mockery of people he doesn't agree with by ridiculing and publicly shaming them, similar to Last Week Tonight. That doesn't seem like a high-consciousness thing to me.

Now to be fair, Fox News is doing the same. But I don't think fighting fire with fire is a good idea.

I just finished watching some of the videos, and frankly I don't like his tone, it hits too personally, and too biased for me. I had Some More News style of humour on this forum a while back, and got a few warnings and thread locks for it. I don't see value other than being a stage red way of revenge at the alt right, republicans, liberals, conservatives, and business owners, like passive aggressive behavior that's childish.

4 hours ago, SunCat said:

@datamonster Leo has a lot of unchecked biases when it comes to politics.

Yes, and so do you and I have biases. Most people are biased to politics, because it's way easier to believe and follow than critically thinking and researching each political position and candidate, and being a bit more independent.

@datamonster

2 hours ago, datamonster said:

For politics I consume mostly German sources. I don't know if the same kinda quality material exists in English, but I'd be surprised if not given that the English speaking audience is much broader.

Just look for someone who analyzes situations objectively and shares insights rather than someone who's clearly biased and just nit-picks bad examples to make of joke of the other side.

Could you list your sources? I'd like to see them, and practice more German as well.

Yes, he's certainly biased and aggressive, but he also makes some sharp points.

His video on systemic racism is excellent, beyond just merely trolling conservatives.

He’s well researched and pretty factually accurate. Posts the sources for everything etc. already makes him better than a lot of places. 

@datamonster I don't see the systemtic racism issue having a legit second side. I see that people who argue against systemic racism are just in denial about it because they subscribe to American exceptionalism. Similar to climate change denial.

I don't see this guy as more biased than any other major progressive YT channel like Kyle, TYT, Majority Report, etc.

Of course they are all biased. But you can factor that in as you watch.

A few thoughts of systemic racism in the context of SD:

Blue: Systemic racism denial (e.g. Tucker Carlson). A desire to deny that any incident is racism. Gets defensive, plays victim of “being silenced” or others calling them racist. Speaks reverse-racism. Hyper-sensitive that others are shaming and guilt-tripping them.

Orange: Self-centered mindset of “I’m colorblind” or “I’m not racist”. Thinks some racism exists that isn’t right, yet isn’t that interested in it. Is more upset that they don’t get to watch sports than the underlying racial issues of why their sports teams are protesting. They will jump on the BLM bandwagon if they can personally profit. May pretend to care about systemic racism so they can be perceived as being a good, caring person by their peers, yet will undercut actual efforts toward equality if it isn’t beneficial to them.

Immature Green: Is aware of systemic racism and feels empathy and compassion for those subjected to racism. Demonizes those that deny systemic racism or engages in racism. However, immature Green goes too far in over-labeling events as racist. Anything that involves race is seen as racially-motivated. For example, an underperforming black worker who is fired is seen a racially-motivated. Can identify racist dynamics, yet also perceive racist dynamics when there really isn’t much there. White people at this stage are working through their own conditioned racially biased tendencies, subconscious biases, guilt and shame. Some virtue signaling.

Mature Green to Yellow: Are more comfortable acknowledging and introspecting their own racial biases. They better understand that systemic racism deniers are doing so due to social conditioning and survival desires. Mature Green to Yellow judges less and is able to have discussions about the extent of systemic racism in various contexts. The intention is to identify degrees of systemic racism in different contexts to better remedy the systemic racism, rather than undercut efforts to address the systemic racism. For example, given a 2 million dollar city budget, how can we best allocate the funds to address systemic racism in the community?

@datamonster Dude, I've watched FoxNews and listened to conservative talk-radio for YEARS with an open mind.

What I learned was, they're full of shit grifters stuck in stage Blue/Orange. There's no intellectual integrity to people who deny systemic racism.

3 minutes ago, datamonster said:

"American exeptionalists" and "climate change deniers".

It doesn't take a genius to know where they're coming from.

13 minutes ago, datamonster said:

Fox news is like the lowest quality of what "the other side" has to offer. If that's what you watched for years to seriously contemplate their ideas amd understand their points, you really haven't looked deeply.

I have listened to a wide variety popular conservative leaders. Ain't nothing intelligent there.

If you got a good argument against systemic racism, then bring it.