Rasheed

Is 1 book per week enough?

36 posts in this topic

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

I barely read a book a month at the moment. I don't think you have to worry about not reading enough. One book a week is plenty anyway. 

But what you can accomplish in short term isn't as important as being consistent. If you can read a book a week for the rest of your life that would be a lot of books more than just reading just once in a while, 

Edited by BjarkeT

Choose high quality books and savour them in your own pace.

And take your time to implement the lessons learned.

High quality books can be so densely packed with information that you can't possibly get through them in a week. (A stage yellow frustration)

Edited by blankisomeone

Just now, BjarkeT said:

I barely read a book a month at the moment. I don't think you have to worry about not reading enough. One book a week is plenty anyway. 

I was thinking, maybe two is better...

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

theres no amount of time you should finish a book, ive finished books in 3 days and some take 3 months, as long as the book gives you something of value

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Read only when you ecounter a problem in your life and in a book you find the exact blueprint on how to resolve that particular problem.Reading 1 book a week? WTF?! After 1 month passes and i ask you what you read you barely remember 1 or 2 main ideas.Read only when action fails and you need a blueprint to guide you! Please watch this video! 

Is it better or is it not? (2-3 books vs 1) I mean, I just finished reading book for this week, should I start new one, or wait for Monday, while re reading other book?

5 minutes ago, Dany Balan said:

Read only when you ecounter a problem in your life and in a book you find the exact blueprint on how to resolve that particular problem.Reading 1 book a week? WTF?! After 1 month passes and i ask you what you read you barely remember 1 or 2 main ideas.Read only when action fails and you need a blueprint to guide you! Please watch this video! 

I don’t agree, reading one book per week and reading Leo’s book list for example is must because individual needs to built mental model of how to live, that’s same as not developing skills just because is non urgent. If you read books,only if it is urgent, that’s a mistake in my opinion. But also I see your point. If that works for you, do that, I am not saying you are wrong I am right...

Guy in a video, I don’t know him, I barely watched the vid, but he is like stuck at orange. Of course, if he is pragmatic and only cares about urgent stuff, materialistic stuff, he will not read books. 

Edited by Rasheed

Reading one book per week can be an act to build discipline and perseverance by giving you a structure and object to abide by because of a set quantity and time frame. That's great but I would also be mindful of the amount of value you get from those book and the quality learning/ experience you implement over time. 

Some people can read a book per day and get immense value, other people who read a book per day barely remember what they read a few days ago. Some people take a month to read a book and derive a lot of key insights and implications and others read a book per month because they were distracted and procrastinating. 

It's going to differ person to person because of personality and approaches but whatever helps you grow and gives you the best balance for quality and quantity is your best bet. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

41 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Don't set an unwanted bar while you are along a progressive path unnecessarily.

23 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

It's going to differ person to person because of personality and approaches but whatever helps you grow and gives you the best balance for quality and quantity is your best bet. 

Intend good quality and immense value over quantity and time duration, be mindful while choosing your resources which are totally subjective depending upon your own interests and goals.

Rest, other petty human stuff, will fall along the line, no need to worry much about that.

Yes it is enough, if it doesn't interfere with other activities then do not listen to people who say you should read less. If you can manage it long term, while having a healthy social life your life will get better and better every month.

44 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Is it better or is it not? (2-3 books vs 1) I mean, I just finished reading book for this week, should I start new one, or wait for Monday, while re reading other book?

I guess it’s better. I don’t see what the benefit would be to wait just for the sake of waiting. When you finish a book just start the next one as soon as possible that can help to make reading a daily habit and being as consistent as possible.

@Rasheed I agree with your point to some extent.But if me and you, both,decide to learn how to play piano in just 6 months,who is going to play better piano after 6 months?you that have only read the whole 6 months books on how to play piano or me that has read 0 books and just sat in front of the piano multiple hours everyday trying to figure out how the piano works! BE HONEST 

To be honest I think it's too much (unless they are very short books).

But especially with the books Leo recommends and similar books I read it and take notes and think about what I've learned after each chapter.

With most self-help books I take time to do all the exercises and journal about stuff like: How will my behavior change?  and on top of that, if I stick with a single book a little longer then I have time to let it sink in deeper into my mind.

Do what works for you, but to me 1 book a week seems like plenty already. And make sure you do more than just read even if it's boring or difficult sometimes to take notes and such. Really.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

3 hours ago, Dany Balan said:

This guy in the video is an idiot 

Edited by andyjohnsonman

4 hours ago, Rasheed said:

What are you trying to gain from the books?

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

4 hours ago, Dany Balan said:

I got around to watching the video and I will say that he has a point on the importance of practical experience over theory. But his point of view is HIGHLY off balance for most people. I get that some people, like him, are good at learning from hands on experience and are kinesthetic learners but not everyone is like that lol. People need to find their own balance between experience and theory. 

Plus he sounds really triggered and butt hurt. Not sure if that's just him or if something is bothering him. During the entire video, i just wanted to be like... are you ok?, you good? do you need anything??? 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/