sgn

Where to find book summaries?

4 posts in this topic

Preferably amateur notes over professional notes. I learned they're often best because:

• Pro notes may be rushed (they have to produce a lot of notes fast for profit)
  • May not be taken by someone with a solid knowledge of the field
  • Usually have contract with publishers allowing them to produce derivative works
  • Quid pro quo -- makes them want to leave out information so you buy the book

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

A book is an abstraction of thoughts of the author. 

A summary is a second-level abstraction of the thoughts of the author by the person that wrote the summary. 

To gain wisdom, you must be close to the original Source. By that I mean, you should read the original work, not translations or summaries. 

I am also very interested in that. I think you have a point when you say amateur notes have the potential to be a lot better than professional ones.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any amateur notes aggregator website or anything like that. Would love to hear if someone knows where to find such a thing.

When it comes to professional notes, other than the well know professional paid apps/websites such as Blinkist, I can also recommend this book:

50 Self-Help Classics
https://www.amazon.com/Self-Help-Classics-Inspirational-Transform-Contemporary-ebook/dp/B01HPVHE6O/

It aggregates professional summaries of 50 self-help books and you can buy the kindle version for a few bucks. You can also find this series of books on other topics other than self-help. The summaries are not super well detailed but are decent enough and the book is pretty cheap.