Soulbass

why is nobody interested in spiral dynamics?

40 posts in this topic

i tried to suggest the SD model to hundred of ppl the past 2 or 3 years, friends and colleagues, from 15 minutes to 3 hours one-on-one discussions (briefly mentioning leo, didn't wanted to scare them since leo isn't everyone's style).

i only try to introduce someone to spiral dynamics when i feel this person is open-minded, have an interest in understanding culture or psychology.

i failed every time!

i'm arrogant and have lack of awareness.

moving towards being, seeing the beauty, comfortable with not knowing...

Edited by Soulbass

SD is not for everyone. You'd have to have at least a few Green and Yellow components to be able to make sense of it, let alone make use of it. How you present it plays little to no part in comparison.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Orange that likes to shit on blue can get it if you show them blue video first. 

Yeah ive told quite a few people expecting their mind to blow up with the realisation that the way everyone thinks can be modelled but the response i get is usually, 'hmm, ok'. Could be that its difficult to get across SD in a short conversation, you probably need at least a few hours to grasp it, but it is weird to me peoples interest is not even tickled a little bit 

Depending on how you explain it people may get an astrology vibe from it and subconsciously just reject what you're saying.

Also people don't like to think that they're not as evolved as they think they are.

I just talk about it to my Green friends and even they aren't that interested. Trying to explain to Orange and below it's a pure waste of time.

I suggest you start talking about ass, titties and money. That will get more eyeballs.

People don't like it when you push something on them. It makes you feel needy and clingy. Only mention it if it arises naturally in a conversation. That way you can slowly introduce them to it over many conservations if they're interested. Don't expect some random person to be interested in SD.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

6 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

Spiral dynamics is a stage yellow model, hence why it covers different perspectives. Mostly people who are dominantly green and near the end of green are the ones who open up to this model. 

Imo the beginning of stage yellow (or part of it) is actually accepting this model, which is why most people won't accept it they aren't ready.

Would you say exposure to it can help you up the spiral?

1 hour ago, Consept said:

Yeah ive told quite a few people expecting their mind to blow up with the realisation that the way everyone thinks can be modelled but the response i get is usually, 'hmm, ok'. Could be that its difficult to get across SD in a short conversation, you probably need at least a few hours to grasp it, but it is weird to me peoples interest is not even tickled a little bit 

I had a similar experience as well. To really get a general understanding of spiral dynamics takes a while and most people don't have the patience to listen to that or do the research on their own if you mention it in passing. It's difficult to articulate in a short concise way because of how nuanced it is. I want to just send them a playlist of Leo's videos since those are pretty in depth but honestly I know that my friends will look at it and be like "this is WAAAAYYY too long"  and then not want to listen. 

I feel that often times you need to really get hooked on a topic like that in order to pay attention to that extent. That's difficult to do if you are just starting out on something and aren't even sure whether or not you like it much less willing to sit through hours of content.  

My question is, why hasn't universities and professors noticed SD? It can be applied to a variety of different fields (I swear I see hints of it in pretty much every class I have taken thus far) and can explain a lot of phenomenon that they are already researching. I get the aversion to stage turquoise but many types of academic research does lean towards yellow (especially the social sciences).  

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

It's too abstract, complex, and intellectual for most normies to care about.

It's a model for serious students of this work, not dabblers.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I sometimes get someone interested in it, but yeah 90% of people don't care at all, they will make some simplistic intellectual dodge and forget about it.

What's mindblowing is that I haven't found yet anyone willing to learn about it at an University and I study Management. Fricking Managament, that's what SD is made for, and no one cares.

@Soulbass Right? Nobody cares! and I find SD such an ingenious model.

I did once took a course with a spiritual teacher that explains similar human development using chakras, but is not as good as SD, in my opinion.

That's because most people don't have much yellow in them,  :' (  as sad as that is..          

(´;︵;`)

Though I can think of some ways to increase the chances of them being interested in learning. It all depends on what kind of person they are.......  and how much SD content there is on YouTube.. good content.

⮞ Are they the kind that's interested in e.g.: astrology, chakras, magick, art, feelings, reincarnation, intuition etc.? 

Wait for an opportunity, and say something like:  

"..speaking of reincarnation, I recently found this model called SD, it's unlike anything else.  Rather than being something faith based, or requiring study of stars or whatever, once you hear it explained, it just makes sense, and you immediately start noticing how people fall into a category.  Not only that, but you also get a good idea of what they were like in the past; what they'll be like in the future, and why! And it doesn't even only apply to people, but whole countries and regions too!"

⮞ Are they blue, a child, or just a bit mentally behind?

"Have you ever noticed how, the further back in history you go, the more violence, injustice, stupidity, selfishness, etc.  there is?  I mean, women have been allowed to vote in even the most advanced countries for only about 100 years, what were people's attitudes like 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 100 000 years ago? Do you think there's any kind of trend?  One besides what you'd expect from technological evolution alone?  Why would that be?  When people die, they're gone, right?  It's not like anything gets passed-on/re-cycled, or that there's some point in life with progress being made each generation, right?  Well, someone's figured it out, it's a pretty simple model called SD.  It's unlike anything you've ever heard of, and requires no belief in anything, you decide if it makes sense."

⮞ Are they an intellectual person? Perhaps, even a..  Yellow™?

Ask if they're familiar with Myerr Briggs's Personality Types (or however you spell it..  not intuitive = deserving to be misspelled). 

If they are: Then express how you feel it's a much more useful model, "MBTI just looks like a disjointed, over-complicated mess by comparison, with no overarching ideas or deeper meaning.. If you study it, you may be able to figure out if someone is more sensing or intuitive, then work out the other letters, and then see which personality that results in, but even then, it leaves out a lot of information.. SD covers things you never even realized were missing from MBTI. I think you'll definitely like it."

If they're not familiar with MBTI: Ask if they're interested in psychology, if they are, talk about models in general, before getting to SD. 

If they're intellectual, but not interested in psychology/understanding-systems, they're probably orange, so you'd have to tell them you've found a way to manipulate people with a psychological trick or something, lol.

(When I discovered I'm an INTP, it seemed pretty accurate at describing the way my mind works, but SD supersedes it for the most part now.  Though SD isn't perfect.  If noone else does, I might come up with another model within the next 20 years.)

That said, my sister did a psychology degree and is into MBTI, yet I still haven't even mentioned SD to her..  I feel like it would be egoistic, as it puts you both in a hierarchy.

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Strangely enough, I've been selective about who I share it with as well, but both people who I gave the entire intro and Leo's videos on SD were highly interested. I even started talking about it in a music chat room one time, and it seemed to get everyone's attention. So I think you may be introducing it to people who aren't ready yet. Creatives and people interested in personal development are always curious about it in my experience.

15 minutes ago, EternalForest said:

Strangely enough, I've been selective about who I share it with as well, but both people who I gave the entire intro and Leo's videos on SD were highly interested. I even started talking about it in a music chat room one time, and it seemed to get everyone's attention. So I think you may be introducing it to people who aren't ready yet. Creatives and people interested in personal development are always curious about it in my experience.

My friends gasped in terror when I rated Jordan Peterson a 7/10 after I was asked to do so (expecting a solid 10/10). That is about the level of openness you can expect from most people. I haven't introduced them to SD explicitly, but they get confused when I try to talk about ideas that go into green or post-green relativism.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I don't think that's a spiral dynamics issue, that's just being hypocritical. Why ask for your opinion if they only want their own opinions echoed back at them?

7 hours ago, louhad said:

I think you need to be at least solidly green to get it

@louhad I dunno about this.  I'm probably nowhere near Green (probably somewhere around Red/Blue center of gravity) and I find it fairly easy to understand.  Though, I haven't read any books on it yet, but from videos and other sources online it seems pretty straightforward.  I haven't memorized all the ins-n-outs perhaps, but I feel pretty confident in being able to distinguish between different stages when I see them in real life.  

6 hours ago, Espaim said:

I just talk about it to my Green friends and even they aren't that interested. Trying to explain to Orange and below it's a pure waste of time.

@Espaim  I think I've tried similarly.  What I'm reminded of is Green's desire for relativism.  I could see how Green may not like hierarchical ideas and perhaps, to differing degrees, be averse to discussing hierarchical ideas.  I'm not saying this is always true, but I could see how it may trigger Green more than other stages and thus make them less inclined to inquire and discuss it further.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Why does it matter if other people are? Society will evolve regardless if people know of the model. At the same time, the word desperately needs second tier leadership.

While true, if progress can be optimized it should be.  And we have to talk about something, it's either anime or

╔═════════ ೋღ :Consciousness: ღೋ ═════════╗
        ꧁༺??? ?????, ??? ????????? ?? ℭ????????????༻꧂  
╚═════════ ೋღ :Consciousness: ღೋ ═════════╝

Edited by nitramadas

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

I don't think that's only about spiral dynamics.

Generally, people are not very interested in being open and understanding the world around them from multiple perspectives. They are mostly interested in fulfilling their immediate needs or at best medium-term needs.

It's the same thing at school, at the beginning kids are very interested to learn about everything, then when they grow up they start to lose this interest. When we are kids, we are empty, and life is mysterious and magical so we want to understand how it works, but after growing up we assume we know reality, therefore, there's not so much mystery and we lose our curiosity. After 18 - 20, people are usually much less interested in challenging their paradigms.

When I was following courses in amphitheaters at university almost nobody was listening to the teacher, most people were playing video games on their computers or phones.

I've come to find that if the person you're trying to convince respects you, they will try to understand it. It also depends on your skill of explaining the model and teaching it without being pushy.