AlwaysJoggin

Depression after meditation?

17 posts in this topic

I noticed that when ever i go on meditation streaks like doin it daily it leads to i like to call it mental brakedown i start getting depressed and i can get panic attack more easily and often. Other than that personally  I usually get like couple panic attacks a year last time was a month ago where i went to the emergency room I thought I was going to die. Now I don’t meditate daily cuz I don’t want to get depressed at the same time i do want to do it cuz i know its wonderful  benefits.  

Maybe try meditating in nature or after a vigorous walk. Or maybe do it in shorter spurts. It's okay to find your way. Good luck.

@AlwaysJoggin , most certainly stay away from meditation if it's worsening your mental condition. Which meditation do you do? Perhaps try a healing visualisation instead, which may bring benefits without the detrimental effects.

Here's an example of a healing visualisation:

Begin with centering yourself - relax, breathe deeply and slowly. Ask for protection and help from whomever you believe in.  See white light descending from the source high above you entering your body through the top of your head and cleansing your chakras, making its way down each chakra and through your feet to the centre of the earth, washing you clean as it leaves your body through your feet. See it entering the earth beneath your feet right down to the core. End the session by affirming that you are protected by ".......'s" energy and love. Also, visualise a protective bubble of violet or golden light around you.

Edited by Demeter

14 hours ago, AlwaysJoggin said:

I noticed that when ever i go on meditation streaks like doin it daily it leads to i like to call it mental brakedown i start getting depressed and i can get panic attack more easily and often. Other than that personally  I usually get like couple panic attacks a year last time was a month ago where i went to the emergency room I thought I was going to die. Now I don’t meditate daily cuz I don’t want to get depressed at the same time i do want to do it cuz i know its wonderful  benefits.  

This is likely due to purging. In other words, negative suppressed feelings, thoughts and/or emotions coming to the surface that are yet to be dealt with. This is actually a positive in the long run.

Attempt shorter mediations, 2-5 minutes and focus on a particular stimulus. Such as focusing on you breath of sensations in your feet.

Also consider experimenting with therapists. They can help as you move through challenging experiences.

Edited by Jacobsrw

dont be so tough on yourself

meditation "should" be a relaxing into the present moment

you are allowed - of course xD - to use whatever "hacks" needed to help you getting absorbed into the present moment.

meditating in nature often helps or just outside where you can hear some ambient sounds, like the wind.

listening to some quiet ambient music can help

smoking a cigarette beforehand can help (;D)

taking psychedelics can help ( a lot xD)

find out whatever works for you my man <3

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

Its mean your actually dealing with your repressed emotions. That's what meditation really is dealing with your shit, not trying to attain some peaceful state. Take is easy but it can be overwhelming so be careful 

@AlwaysJoggin It’s just against human phycological wellbeing to isolate and do nothing. It would obviously lower mood and negatively affect mental health. You can find articles about people who have mental breaks from meditation. Meditation isn’t for everyone. If something else works well for you keep doing it. I find I don’t like meditating but hugging my pet I could do for an hour, because it’s actually therapeutic by nature. It doesn’t cause any signs of distress.

These are classic trauma symptoms. It happens because meditation is "too much" (or too long) for you at this moment leading to parasympathetic symptoms like depression and sympathetic symptoms like panic. The "window of tolerance" of a given moment is a good concept here. Going out of it is not useful.

png_window_of_tolerance_image.png?itok=4

A good book is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393709787/ because it talks about side effects of mindfulness with trauma.

@AlwaysJoggin how do you meditate? 

Just sit in silence with closed eyes and straight back and put attention on the breath, breath from the stomach. Whenever you catch yourself going into thinking return the attention to deep breathing, relax the body. That's all, as simple as that.

How meditation can make you depressed? Only the thoughts about meditation can make you depressed. ;) 

If you feel that this is not the right time for you to meditate – do not. Meditation is supposed to help you to let go when you think you are going to die, so you don't have a panic attack, not the other way around. Find whatever relaxes you and do this as meditation. Personally, cooking cappuccino in the morning literally a meditation practice to me. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

The panic attacks could be from some kind of unresolved trauma.  This trauma can be as something some people may consider minor like being alone as a child or getting betrayed to something more intense like abuse or witnessing something horrific.

The meditation can be taking you into these places, the places you may be too scared to go into at this stage in your life.  If you are not ready to confront these parts of you then just put it off aside until you are ready.  My personal opinion on this is, you are never really ready so you mind as well confront it even if it frightens you.  The repercussions if you don't is, time may amplify your shadows and if you get into a relationship if you are not in one already or develop a successful career, the things you put in your closet will exploit those parts of you and you will be forced to confront them.  

In extreme situations when life smacks people in the face this way is, they either rise up from it or commit suicide.