Ya know

Solo Retreat Camping

18 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have an opportunity to go camping for 4 days. I'm looking to get the most out of it. 

Is pitching a tent and doing literally nothing (just me, a tent, water and something to sleep on) the best option for me?

Does anyone have any recommendations? My goal is to elevate consciousness.

I could potentially acquire mushrooms as well. 

It depends on you. if you like camping and are familar with it then im sure there will be less anxiety about going out there because you will know what you are doing. 

Do shrooms wherever you feel comfortable. I personally dont want to be in the middle of nowhere far away from the world on shrooms. 

@Ya know

Sounds cool. Just take a low dose of shrooms and enjoy yourself everywhere :D 

The point is to be present/relax/deep breath/enjoy/have fun/be loving.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Camping is much harder since you will need to plan logistics well and worry about the elements.

Make sure you pack everything you need for survival.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Ya know if You are into fasting or not eating much 4 days are notting, just like everyone says be careful and pack for survivor. 

Being in nature for a long time can help with raising consciousness.  Have a plan for bugs if you will be sitting still for long periods.  I did a retreat in the Utah mountains which is supposed to be bug free.  Within 10 minutes of meditating, every bug from 10 miles around had found me.

3 hours ago, TravisB said:

Have a plan for bugs if you will be sitting still for long periods. 

Was just sitting outside under the stars contemplating when I heard a fluttering sound around my head.  It was dark so I couldn't see what it was. So I grabbed the camera and pointed it back at myself. A Giant Luna Moth had come to rest on my shoulder.

P1100202 (2).JPG

15 minutes ago, cetus said:

Was just sitting outside under the stars contemplating when I heard a fluttering sound around my head.  It was dark so I couldn't see what it was. So grabbed the camera, pointed it back at myself. A Giant Luna Moth had come to rest on my shoulder.

P1100202 (2).JPG

@cetusWhat a beauty!  guess it wants to contemplate existence too :)

Edited by GabeN

I've camped quite a bit and have done a few solos camping.  

One thing I'm noticing is that I find it pretty hard to do consciousness work and concentrate on internal growth etc. since it's just me, alone, out in the wilderness and my survival instincts and fears kick in.  It's it's hard to do meditation when you're worried of being attacked by a bear, cougar, or other animal.  That's just my experience though.  I tend to lean towards anxiety anyways.

I'd say it might take some experience to get acclimatized to the wilderness and not be scared of it enough so you can do personal development work.  

Also, yeah, even if you feel like you're safe and are close to civilization, the elements and nature can fuck shit up pretty quickly.  Not to scare people from it, I personally think spending time in the wilderness alone is great.  But, it's good to be prepared adequately and note that if one thing fucks up and you don't have access to proper resources, it can lead to a negative chain reaction.  

I don't know where you are, but cougar and bear attacks are super rare and they are more scared of people than you are of them; mostly.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Just now, GabeN said:

What a beauty!  guess it wants to contemplate existence too :)

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

1 hour ago, zeroISinfinity said:

I would actually like to get attacked by cougar.

Take a hammock. Cougars love tacos.

1 hour ago, cetus said:

Take a hammock. Cougars love tacos.

I disagree with that good sir. Hammock will make marks on my skin. Don't know does cougars find that attractive. 

Where should I hang? 

Happy camper. 

Don't know about tacos they are bit more classy ya know. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

Done my research With marks or without cougar will eat ya alive. I like it. Instead of tacos I would bring something else. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

Don't listen to the nay sayers in this thread. I do solo camping all the time. IMO it's the best solo retreat you can do. I prefer to find a secluded spot where I'm shielded from others behind trees and bushes and such. Create a meditation schedule and stick to it. Also include mindfulness walks in that schedule. Learn to meditate while walking and sitting. I find that four hours of silence a day is plenty. Bring HEALTHY food and cook your meals. Flush your body of toxins. Also, make some time for enjoyment. Have some books or podcasts on hand, make some art, or do some journaling. Retreats don't have to be ascetic in nature so make some time for enjoyment. Silence deepens when you are enjoying life, the same goes for a retreat. Don't be afraid to socialize a little with the neighbors. Oh, and four days is perfect. Retreats typically take about three days to settle in. By the fourth day you meditation should be very deep and very pleasant.

In summary, stick to a schedule and plan to fill your day with meditation, walks in nature, enjoyment, and healthy activities. Your practice will deepen and you will have insights galore.

Enjoy

@cetus Ha just met very very fine older lady while high as... Didn’t camped just took dog for a walk. Also no tacos. 

This dream just.... Well activated unlimited sin what to expect really?! 

I did a vision quest program with Animas Valley Institute, which involved a three day solo in a remote area. We fasted for four days (one day before leaving, three days during the solo). It was a powerful way to alter consciousness without drugs. I would move so, so slowly and was totally present. All the nature around me was magical and transcendent. I'd also recommend brining a rattle or drum, which you can use to get into a trance state.

Also, tents can make you feel quite closed off from the elements. Depending on where you're camping, considering just bringing a tarp so that you're exposed to the elements and animals, and it becomes a much more embodied experience. Lastly, I recommend some night walks without a flashlight, moving slowing and allowing your eyes to adapt to the darkness. Minimize the use of any artificial lights throughout your experience, if you can! A great book about this is Waking Up to the Dark. Definitely allows you to grow closer to spirits, ancestors, etc (if you dig that sort of thing). 

Have fun!

Just some advice - Don't think meditating should be strictly reduced to sitting still on a rock or inside your tent for many hours at a time.  The bugs, boredom, heat, and general weather will be a nuisance and probably keep you from enjoying the experience fully.

You can also meditate while walking, hiking and climbing as well and achieve the same kind of stillness of mind and get insights as well that way.

hrhrhtewgfegege