Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DocWatts

Examples of High Consciousness Movies, Books & TV Shows

4 posts in this topic

So I'm not sure if this is the best Discussion Board for this topic, or if it would be more at home somewhere else, but I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion. With Leo (correctly in my view) pointing out that our culture's stage development sees a large chunk of the entertainment and media we consume being low consciousness junk that's highly commodified,  it might be worthwhile to point out positive examples of  higher consciousness entertainment that goes against this trend.

For my part, I would kick this list off with Michael Schur's 'The Good Place.' which is an incredibly heartfelt, humorous, and thought provoking show about the afterlife which deals with important philosophical questions like 'what does it mean to be a good person?', which is still somewhat rare in a lot of popular entertainment. The show can be seen as a refutation of the play 'No Exit' by existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre, who opined that "Hell is other people."  Over the course of the show we see how our show's four protagonists lift each other up, and help each other to become healthier, more caring people. And despite the weight of some of the questions it asks, the show still managed to be playful and humourous, and lacks the sort of pretentiousness one might expect from a show that deals with weighty ethical questions.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@DocWatts Are you talking about stage Turquoise level stuff, or just higher than mainstream/average?

Looking through the Yellow/Turquoise levels threads on the Self-Actualization page is a good place to find stuff. 

Nothing profound but I just finished this Netflix show about Bill Gates and found it very compelling. 

@tuckerwphotography Primarily I was thinking more higher than the average/mainstream, as I would think entertainment embodying yellow or turquoise values would be quite rare.

Thanks for the suggestion by the way.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/