Adodd

"If i knew then what i know now."

21 posts in this topic

What are some things that you wish you knew or paid more attention to early on in your spiritual journey? What are some things you would've done differently.

Edited by Adodd

The fact that I didn't know back then what I knew now was deliberate. 

That self-inquiry was too dangerous to mess around with, and to develop my visualization and open mindedness even more than now. Vivid imagination is key to success and growth.

That I've been continuously manufacturing my own suffering on the spot, the very suffering I tried to escape.

Edited by Johnny5

I hear you brother, 5 years to finishing understanding that.

Edited by Dantas

@Danioover9000

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

That self-inquiry was too dangerous to mess around with

Elaborate? Are you saying you wouldnt recommend self-inquiry?

5 hours ago, Adodd said:

What are some things that you wish you knew or paid more attention to early on in your spiritual journey? What are some things you would've done differently.

I read something along these lines : ‘the mind will not receive a truth it is not yet ready to receive’. I forget the name of the author or maybe the actual words but that is the message.

Looking back, sure ... if we were taught that mind-body is an instrument and love is the only real God vibration and all we need to do is to align our in-form consciousness with our higher eternal Self, our thoughts, words and deeds would be different. However, experiencing cyclic joy & pain owing to ego cravings, the voluntary self realisation of what we know now, is possibly etched deeper in our consciousness. The learning is assimilated.

i would have nothing nothing different

in fact I could have done nothing different

what I call "I" doesn't even exist

it was all planned out. infintely intelligent. infinitely lovingly.

Perfection.

Perfect because it happened.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

"If i knew then what i know now."

If I knew that my trash would smell like this now I would of threw it out yesterday.

Mahadev

58 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@WaveInTheOcean along with the contemplation of what could have been different ?

True?

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

I wish I knew about "not knowing" or "unknowing" or "knowing nothing" or "before thought" or "prior to thinking". haha

Edited by Brittany

5 hours ago, wesyasz said:

I think she has a few very good points on this:

This seems more like anti-enlightenment.

She appears to be saying: forget infinite consciousness and identify with the ego instead, otherwise you'll go crazy.

That's some really bad advice.

One can only identify with a constant, and there is no greater constant that eternal consciousness by way of the truth that first-person unconsciousness is logically impossible.

Therefore, all other "constants" collapse into a finitude of variable states, including the variable state of ego.

Identifying with state is a very silly idea. It would be like identifying with your t-shirt.

@Adodd

13 hours ago, Adodd said:

@Danioover9000

Elaborate? Are you saying you wouldnt recommend self-inquiry?

If I knew I would be deeply depressed, I would have prepared more and done more meditation/mindfulness work to handle the negatives of self inquiry. I've done the practice naively, so I payed dearly for that mistake. Had to reverse the several months of depression.

On 19-8-2020 at 6:35 PM, Danioover9000 said:

@Adodd

If I knew I would be deeply depressed, I would have prepared more and done more meditation/mindfulness work to handle the negatives of self inquiry. I've done the practice naively, so I payed dearly for that mistake. Had to reverse the several months of depression.

What are the negatives of Self-Inquiry? What do you mean you did the practice naively?

@peachboy

On 8/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, peachboy said:

This seems more like anti-enlightenment.

She appears to be saying: forget infinite consciousness and identify with the ego instead, otherwise you'll go crazy.

That's some really bad advice.

One can only identify with a constant, and there is no greater constant that eternal consciousness by way of the truth that first-person unconsciousness is logically impossible.

Therefore, all other "constants" collapse into a finitude of variable states, including the variable state of ego.

Identifying with state is a very silly idea. It would be like identifying with your t-shirt.

Think about it. Some spiritual practices are too dangerous to try while expecting something amazingly good at the end. You literally must damage yourself, layer by layer, before feeling heavenly feelings. You have to prepare, or face some serious psychoses.

9 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Danioover9000 what specifically would you recommend to someone planning on starting self inquiry soon?

@Danioover9000 What specific recommendations would you have for someone planning to start on self-inquiry?