Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
--George--

Combat sports are turqoise?

8 posts in this topic

Tao , martial arts , energy and spiritual enlightenment

Bruce Frantzis has lots more about energy, spirituality and martial arts at www.energyarts.com   . And Mantak Chia ofcourse.

Edited by --George--

@dflores321 Mantak Chia for example is very good in the martial art tai chi. The energy cultivation that is used for spirituality is also very good for opening up the body, making you a more efficicient martial artist.

There has always been a strong connection between martial arts, spirituality and/or personal development. Although I'd be careful about conflating martial arts with combat sports, even when there is some obvious overlap there.

That doesn't mean it's all turquoise of course. Mostly far from it. But I do think people on a "spiritual path" often encounter martial arts along the way, and vice versa.

Peter Ralston comes to mind.

7 hours ago, Johnny5 said:

There has always been a strong connection between martial arts, spirituality and/or personal development. Although I'd be careful about conflating martial arts with combat sports, even when there is some obvious overlap there.

That doesn't mean it's all turquoise of course. Mostly far from it. But I do think people on a "spiritual path" often encounter martial arts along the way, and vice versa.

Peter Ralston comes to mind.

You could even say that combat sports ARE spiritual, since it requires you fully, and tests you as a person. Perspective my friend.

4 hours ago, orbitshooter said:

You could even say that combat sports ARE spiritual, since it requires you fully, and tests you as a person. Perspective my friend.

Many sports are like that. Chess is spiritual in exactly the same way. How's that for perspective :) 

I can see where the perception of martial arts being Stage Red comes from. Getting into a fight is a Red activity, as it involves disputes over status, or in extreme circumstances a life-and-death fight for survival.
(This shows how Stage Red is still valuable for those at higher stages. There is no way to help the world if someone murders you. But at the same token, very unlikely to happen in developed societies.)

What is really important is how you approach martial arts. There are many who tie it in with philosophy like you've mentioned, including Shaolin monks and samurais. Despite training for Stage Red (or possibly Orange in the case of competition), they gain higher insights that can be applied to other areas of life.
Likewise, there are many martial artists who don't view it as a spiritual or philosophical practice, but as a means to exert dominance and gain power.

Edited by smurf88

@Johnny5

On 8/19/2020 at 0:29 PM, Johnny5 said:

Many sports are like that. Chess is spiritual in exactly the same way. How's that for perspective :) 

Even better than chess, is Chinese Go. That game is simple, yet gets complex the more patterns are made.