Lyubov

What do we think of Apple products?

42 posts in this topic

Overpriced? Genius? Prefer Windows?

I really like them but I sometimes miss being able to play video games and also they are quite expensive. 

Depends, sometimes meta sometimes tool. Expensive is relative. An axe and Apple has some function basis for me. We use them. Rest is fear. Everyone has his own tools including thinking. It's essential to make distinctions.

They take user privacy very seriously. Even the older phones get regular updates, which is a very good thing for security.

Their business model is a little shady tho, as they are attempting to make their phones impossible to repair in small shops. They also dont do great optimization on new iOS versions for older phones, which along the intentional CPU power reduction seems to be simply to make a new phone more appealing.

cool hardware to use, fucked up to repair plus the software is proprietary. high price for hardware on which i would install linux which i can't repair... so nah.

as i earn now more i will buy better phones and laptops, which are produced fair...

1 hour ago, Hansu said:

They take user privacy very seriously. Even the older phones get regular updates, which is a very good thing for security.

Aw c'mon, security? gtfo. Regular Updates? These render your older phone useless (old~4 years) so that you have buy a new one on a regular basis IF you wanna use the new software which is hot.

Apple is the perfect example of how much you can get away with by having superior branding and marketing.

They have some great products like the iPod series and iPhones, but Windows blows them out of the water on laptops and PCs.

hrhrhtewgfegege

37 minutes ago, supremeyingyang said:

Aw c'mon, security? gtfo.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-mobile-android-vs-ios-which-is-more-secure.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/14/apple-refuses-barr-request-to-unlock-pensacola-shooters-iphones.html

"The company still refuses to build what it calls a “backdoor” for law enforcement to its encryption, believing such a tool could be exploited by anyone if created and compromise the security of all its users."

When it comes to phones and tablets, Apple is definitely the more secure platform out there.

It think its potential customers are from developed countries. I am from a developing country and the price of apple products are simply too much to afford for most of the people here. 

Edited by Annoynymous

6 hours ago, Roy said:

Apple is the perfect example of how much you can get away with by having superior branding and marketing.

They have some great products like the iPod series and iPhones, but Windows blows them out of the water on laptops and PCs.

Is the second part really true though? I have owned an iMac, MacBook pro, a sager gaming laptop, a couple mid market windows laptops and two custom built gaming PCs. I think they are super expensive buttheir products do stand out and the ease of use and engineering behind them makes for a relativity different user experience. You can do everything on a Windows but I think think Apple is more than just marketing. Their software and hardware has quirks that add up and make for a unique ecosystem to be a part of. 

9 hours ago, Hansu said:

Their business model is a little shady tho, as they are attempting to make their phones impossible to repair in small shops. They also dont do great optimization on new iOS versions for older phones, which along the intentional CPU power reduction seems to be simply to make a new phone more appealing.

Very interesting video on why Windows is so backwards compatible. You can literally upgrade all the way to Windows 10 from 3.11 on virtual PC.

My MacBook Pro is from 2016 and this year it is starting to show its age a bit. I think it mostly has to do with the hardware though rather than the software. I haven't run into any backwards compatible issues yet. 

I don’t like the sneaky things they do to create demand in the supply and demand chain. There was a recent article that fortnite caught them in a trap and exposed how sneaky and petty they are. They pulled the fortnite app from iTunes after fortnite gave gamers an alternative method of buying virtual currency. Apple collects 30% cut of all purchases. Totally gross way to control the supposedly free market.

Edited by Lindsay

Apple collects 30% cut of all purchases. Totally gross way to control the supposedly free market.

5 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I don’t like the sneaky things they do to create demand in the supply and demand chain. There was a recent article that fortnite caught them in a trap and exposed how sneaky and petty they are. They pulled the fortnite app from iTunes after fortnite gave gamers an alternative method of buying virtual currency. Apple collects 30% cut of all purchases. Totally gross way to control the supposedly free market.

Why is Apple supposed to give a free platform for developers?

8 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Very interesting video on why Windows is so backwards compatible. You can literally upgrade all the way to Windows 10 from 3.11 on virtual PC.

My MacBook Pro is from 2016 and this year it is starting to show its age a bit. I think it mostly has to do with the hardware though rather than the software. I haven't run into any backwards compatible issues yet. 

It also makes any old game and program playable on the latest Windows without having to go through hoops ;)

I once bought a Mac Mini from 2006 just to see how it looks like. The UI is surprisingly sleek even in todays standards.

Apple products are overpriced, and are only bought by idiots who need a status symbol and make up for their complexities.  I wrote this text from my iPad.

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

I just really like the simple, intuitive UI. Android doesn't feel as intuitive.

15 hours ago, datamonster said:

As for their phones, I don't have an iphone because they are way too expensive. I don't feel comfortable carrying a 1.2k phone because I drop it too often.

Just get a phone case and a screen protector and it'll survive 99% of all drops.

As far the products themselves go, I don't like how restrictive they are customisation-wise and honestly don't see how they're any more "intuitive" than Microsoft of Android products. In fact I often find them less intuitive.
With that being said, the privacy concerns are a real issue for me and I basically see Microsoft and Google as being an open-door to whatever security agency wants to snoop around my personal info, so I use an iPhone for that reason alone since Apple seems to take privacy a little more seriously (I doubt they're that much better honestly.)

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

I like Windows and Android. I find it more user-friendly. I've basically grown up with it.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee