Leo Gura

Mega-Thread Of Outrageous, Ridiculous, and Absurd Quotes

113 posts in this topic

“Democracy does not contain any force which will check the constant tendency to put more and more on the public payroll. The state is like a hive of bees in which the drones display, multiply and starve the workers so the idlers will consume the food and the workers will perish.”

-- Plato, supposed quote from Republic and Life

Edited by Milos Uzelac

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

I'll leave is up to the reader to take sides on this kind of dispute :D

I think telepathy exists, and I think quantum physics will help us understand its basic properties.

- Brian Josephson, nobel prize in physisics 1973 

Winning the Nobel Prize in 1973 gave him the freedom to work in less orthodox areas, and he became increasingly involved – including during science conferences, to the irritation of fellow scientists – in talking about meditation, telepathy and higher states of consciousness.[36] In 1974 he angered scientists during a colloquium of molecular and cellular biologists in Versailles by inviting them to read the Bhagavad Gita (5th – 2nd century BCE) and the work of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the founder of the TM movement, and by arguing about special states of consciousness achieved through meditation. "Nothing forces us," one scientist shouted at him, "to listen to your wild speculations." Biophysicist Henri Atlan wrote that the session ended in uproar.[37]
-wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Josephson

Snímek obrazovky 2020-08-11 v 14.25.41.png

1 hour ago, Shunyata said:

'I think, therefore, I am' Rene Descartes

haha, ive thought of this one before too, should be "I am therefore I am" imo :P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Alan Minter: “Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing – but none of them serious.”

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

"Much as we might wish to believe otherwise, universal love and welfare of the species as a whole are concepts which simply do not make evolutionary sense" - Richard Dawkins

"Theres simply no polite way to tell people theyve dedicated their lives to an illusion" - Daniel Dennett

This one is more ironic than stupid. 

''It's plant food ... So if we decrease the use of carbon dioxide, are we not taking away plant food from the atmosphere? ... So all our good intentions could be for naught. In fact, we could be doing just the opposite of what the people who want to save the world are saying.''

''The earth will end only when God declares it's time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by the flood.''

--John Shimkus, US Republican Representative for Illinois's 15th congressional district, regarding the role of carbon dioxide in global warming.

"Barring satellite problems, we won't be signing off until the world ends,'' 

Turner declared. And in anticipation, he prepared a final video segment for the apocalypse:

''We'll be on, and we will cover the end of the world, live, and that will be our last event. We'll play the National Anthem only one time, on the first of June [the day CNN launched], and when the end of the world comes, we'll play 'Nearer My God To Thee' before we sign off.''

-- Ted Turner, American media proprietor and founder of CNN.

Edited by Milos Uzelac

1 minute ago, datamonster said:

"Humane slaughter" - The food industry

"Military Intelligence" - The Army

The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 6, 2012

"Abortion is profoundly anti-women. Three-quarters of its victims are women: Half the babies and all the mothers."

-- Mother Teresa

"Any country that accepts abortion, is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what it wants."

-- Mother Teresa 

"But I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion because it is a war against the child - a direct killing of the innocent child - murder by the mother herself. And if we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another? How do we persuade a woman not to have an abortion? As always, we must persuade her with love, and we remind ourselves that love means to be willing to give until it hurts.''

-- Mother Teresa, canonized saint of the Catholic Church and Nobel Peace Prize winner, on abortion.

Edited by Milos Uzelac

It is what it is. (on Americans dying from Covid-19) 

- Donald Trump (a few days ago) 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

“Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as they have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months." 

- Dr. Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics at Yale University, October 17, 1929

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

"You're nothing but a pack of neurons" 

-- Francis Crick

Edited by Enlightenment

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

My Compilation on Dangerously Deluded Quotes Regarding the Understanding of Religion, Theology and Spirituality in Contemporary Times

“Jerusalem has been the object of the affection of both Jews and Christians down through history and the touchstone of prophecy, most importantly, God gave Jerusalem — and the rest of the Holy Land — to the Jewish people. That prophecy is the biblical prophecy of the return of Jesus Christ and the beginning of the Rapture — the end times. What kick-starts the end times into motion is Israel’s political boundaries being reestablished to what God promised the Israelites according to the Bible.''

--Robert Jeffress, Southern Baptist Church pastor and close personal evangelical advisor to Trump, interpreted meaning of a speech given by him at the opening of the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem on May 14th, 2018.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-will-bring-about-end-worldevangelicals-end-times-779643

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/14/half-of-evangelicals-support-israel-because-they-believe-it-is-important-for-fulfilling-end-times-prophecy/

"I knew my God was bigger than his. I knew my God was real and that his God was just an idol."

---General William G. Boykin, announced after leading American troops into battle against a Somali warlord during the Battle of Mogadishu, also known as Black Hawk Down incident on 3-4th of October in 1993.

Edited by Milos Uzelac

“The beauty of me is that I’m very rich.”

-Donald Trump

Edited by FlowerNote

“I love you all so much, I hate the fact that I exist” -zen atman xD 

" IGNORANCE IS BLISS "

- Unknown

degree of absurdity to this quote is inexplicable