Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

Need some inspiration for an Eastern Philosophy Career

3 posts in this topic

So I've got massive dissatisfaction with my career at the moment. I feel completely uninterested in the work that I'm doing on a daily basis. Its reaching a critical level. I don't see the value of it, I don't feel like I'm progressing in the right direction. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I don't feel inspired, fascinated, or excited with the work I'm doing. I'm always distracted by other things, stuff I'm more interested in. I don't have passion for my work, and a neglect of care for the outcome of my results. 

There is clearly something I'm more interested in, but I've kept away from it my entire life and tried to distract myself with other stuff because that thing is hard to make money off, and I've got autism and don't feel comfortable providing value through understanding people. 

I've also tried to apply Rupert Spira's wise words about his life purpose. He said he use to be a pottery maker. And he only transitioned to being a teacher because it helped more people, not because it made him happier. So a confusion I have is, I hate my job, does that mean I should really be trying to love the job I have, rather than changing? Is changing jobs an ego trick? On one hand I feel like Rupert is onto something, the path is about accepting what is. But on the other hand, I'm very very very drawn to other things. Its a powerful force that cannot be stopped. I'm deeply ineffective with my work because I don't like it. And I can't apply Rupert's words no matter how hard I try (been trying for past 3 yrs). 

I'm very very very clear on what I don't like, I've tried many things, through university courses and in the field. I don't like:

Science, Technology, Engineering or mathematics (massive hate passion).

Visual or musical art.

western medicine and law.

policing.

firefighting.

being a journalist.

being a pilot.

being a mechanic.

being an athlete.

being a tennis coach.

magician

What I haven't tried, but am quite sure I wouldn't like it:

alternative healing

personal development coach

seduction coach

using siddhis somehow to provide value (like siddhi vasi healing)

alternative medicine

nutritionist

What I'm drawn to and interests me:

1. Eastern Philosophy.

2. How to live a good life. 

3. Nonduality. Tantra. 

4. Very big picture thinking.

5. some of the very big picture aspects of sociology. Not studying and science. I don't like science. I don't like making hypotheses, testing them, repeat. Rather I like applying eastern teachings and being directly aware of knowledge. 

What I truly want to do:

1. provide really valuable content that helps change people's perspectives to help them get through life with less stress, better health, more open mindedness politically/socially/scientifically/culturally. 

2. Showing people, helping them experience the beauty in life. Helping them release tension, opening their minds up to timelessness, eternity, detachment, love, empowerment, etc. 

What are some videos or introductions to some people who are doing the above 2 points really passionately, and loving it?

38 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

So a confusion I have is, I hate my job, does that mean I should really be trying to love the job I have, rather than changing? Is changing jobs an ego trick?

It's a trick in the deeper sense that it is possible to be happy regardless of all conditions, except it's really fucking hard and most people can't do it. So don't feel bad if you aren't one of those people.

It's not a trick in the sense of the practicality of getting a regular/consistent shallower form of happiness by enjoying the thing you're doing day to day.

It may be true that you don't like your job right now, but it is a means to an end so you have the resources to move onto the next thing comfortably. And not start from absolute scratch or a really difficult place. So make a concerted effort to do your best while you're still at it, and trick your mind into pretending to like it the best you can.

Let's say you had to work at McDonalds the next 8 months, for X amount of $. Would you rather spend those 8 months miserable and complaining the whole time, or try to enjoy it and become the best McDonalds employee that particular branch has ever seen? Probably the later right? And it's likely this kind of attitude will reward you more, you might get more favorable shifts and time off. Possibly get a promotion in the short time you are there. A bonus. A raise.

Try to foster the same kind of perspective for your current job. Come up with a financial plan, and a general exit plan with a specific time frame. Once you have that time frame in front of you, consider reflecting on what I said.

Sorry I don't have much to offer in terms of the other stuff.

Good luck @electroBeam

hrhrhtewgfegege

1 hour ago, Roy said:

except it's really fucking hard and most people can't do it.

yep, Absolute hopelessness in trying. 

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Let's say you had to work at McDonalds the next 8 months, for X amount of $. Would you rather spend those 8 months miserable and complaining the whole time, or try to enjoy it and become the best McDonalds employee that particular branch has ever seen? Probably the later right? And it's likely this kind of attitude will reward you more, you might get more favorable shifts and time off. Possibly get a promotion in the short time you are there. A bonus. A raise.

Yeah that's the right way to go about this. Its not the job, but your attitude that makes you happy, thanks.