BjarkeT

Getting to bed way to late because getting distracted

8 posts in this topic

For some time now I have been distracted by going on the internet when I really should go to sleep(it’s 04.07 in the morning as of the moment I post this lol the longer I wait to go to sleep the less tired I feel) the problem is that it’s too tempting going on the internet with all the entertainment nowadays. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to re establish a decent sleep schedule without going back to distractions. Thanks in advance.

Edited by BjarkeT

I think it's not that the internet is too tempting. While yes, sure it is very tempting. If we have something to work on the next day that we are passionate about and already worked hard that day we just don't have time to waste with anything else.

What do you want to achieve or do in your life that is worth it to sacrifice internet time for you? If you can't answer this question it's obvious that your life will be filled with browsing the internet and watching videos all night long.

@universe What I want to achieve in life is to become a great composer. When I compose or listen to music it's like being in heaven. I haven't found anything as great as music. It's my passion. Yet it's still tempting to be entertained. 

@BjarkeT

Very well then. I don't see a problem. You are doing everything you can for your passion and to achieve your milestones. Tell me why shouldn't you be on the internet at night? Do you not get enough sleep?

I was feeling like I can't reset my sleep schedule to an earlier hour because I just wouldn't fall asleep. All it took was starting to get ready for sleep an hour before my chosen time and just getting to bed at chosen time for 3 consecutive days. The first night, I didn't fall asleep right away, got up after an hour to spend another hour or two online. But then, my sleep schedule shifted. I relapsed after a month, but now I've got the experience that it's not so hard to shift. 

@universe Yeah I probably only got 5 hours of sleep and got to bed at 5 in the morning. Luckily I don't feel tired. But I think it may be an issue of will power. That I have the option for entertainment available 24/7 and sooner or later I won't have the will power to make the right choice especially late at night when my will power is at its lowest.  

Download Cold turkey blocker and schedule a total block from 2am to 6am or any other good schedule for you. This will allow you to browse and have some fun but when the time hits you gotta sleep.

You can try meditating for 30-60 minutes in the evening or drinking some calming tea. Also shut down all lights at least an hour before bed, the light of your screen is stimulating to your mind and that's why you can't sleep. Also don't work out before bed, working out is best in the afternoon, some say between 3 PM and 5 PM. Try going to sleep 30 minutes earlier than the other day until you reach going to sleep by 11 PM. Also set your alarm to wake up earlier and don't lay around in bed during daytime. Have some nighttime routine every day that will prepare your mind that you are going to sleep, and after a while you'll get used to it and that will signal your brain that it's time for sleep (for example prepare your bed to be comfortable for sleep, wash your teeth/take a hot shower, change into pajamas, keep the lights off for an hour before bed, maybe do some calming breathing exercise, drink tea).

Also know that it all depends on you, no amount of motivation from others can help if you aren't willing to follow the advice that you are given by people. Take the decision that you will go to sleep early and work on it. 

Edited by Aquarius
added last paragraph