Forestluv

Cornel West and Nina Turner are advocating for a new Progressive Party

8 posts in this topic

This looks like an interesting development to me. 

There are efforts to start a new Progressive party called the “People’s Party”. They will be holding a Peoples Convention on Aug. 30th. Their stated intention is:

The People’s Convention will discuss plans to build the largest party in America in the next four years, including building local hubs and state parties, sending representatives to Congress and local office in 2022, and winning the presidency in 2024.

At the conclusion of the Convention we will hold a historic vote on forming a major new corporate-free political party in America.

Cornel West and Nina Turner will be the keynote speakers at the People’s Convention and they have high name recognition and influence with progressives. There is a lot of populist progressive energy that they could tap into. I’m curious if this will be a cathartic sideshow for disgruntled progressives or if it could gain steam. I noticed Jimmy Dore is also prominently listed, which shifts the vibe toward angry venting progressives. I think people like Krystal Ball, Ana Kasparian or Sam Seder would have given more mature progressive grounding. 

https://peoplesparty.org/

FF0C6F23-B3DF-4506-8FB5-B479455D81B1.jpeg

How about Leo joins this party?! LEO FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Great, more votes to be syphoned away from the Dems in swing states and thus lose the election to some wannabe authoritarian conservative clown! ~_~

11 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

Great, more votes to be syphoned away from the Dems in swing states and thus lose the election to some wannabe authoritarian conservative clown! ~_~

They aren’t running a candidate in 2020. They are organizing for the 2022 and 2024 elections. However, much of their vibe seems against both Trump and Biden so I can this swaying a small percentage of lefties to voting Green or writing in a candidate. Young people don’t vote in a high percentage, yet young people really don’t like Biden and there could be a very low turnout for young people this election. Biden’s camp doesn’t seem concerned about the youth vote. They seem much more interested in the Lincoln Project type republican voter. 

I think Biden is may be over-marginalizing progressive voices and policies. The DNC is allowing republican John Kasich to speak, yet denying progressive hero AOC. They also denied TYT press passes to the convention. And I think Biden is on the wrong side of M4A, given the economic and health care crisis with the covid. 

3 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

Young people don’t vote in a high percentage, yet young people really don’t like Biden and there could be a very low turnout for young people this election.

This might just be my pessimism talking but I don't think young people will ever really vote in a high percentage. Politics are too dis-interesting for the majority of them, they would rather be partying and socializing.

We won't see deep Green starting to win until those young people are adults, and start to vote more.

hrhrhtewgfegege

17 minutes ago, Roy said:

This might just be my pessimism talking but I don't think young people will ever really vote in a high percentage. Politics are too dis-interesting for the majority of them, they would rather be partying and socializing.

We won't see deep Green starting to win until those young people are adults, and start to vote more.

Another factor is that Dem candidates generally don’t offer anything of interest to young people. Obama got a good youth turnout in 2008, yet lost them because he didn’t deliver his first term. Bernie had a lot of youth support because he supported all their important issues. Biden doesn’t. And my impression is that young people don’t want incremental change, they want what they want now. Green New Deal. M4A. Free college tuition. Etc.  

This is the perspective of the majority of young people. They don’t see anything of value to vote for. 

9B0F09D1-FF50-45E3-A838-F7A79F92EE47.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Roy said:

There was a huge youth voter turnout in 2018. It increased a lot across most states. In states like Texas and Georgia, I remember reading that it tripled. Because of that the races were pretty close. I think that a lot of young people are getting more involved with politics mainly because politics has infiltrated popular media so much ranging from music to movies, and even memes. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/