How to be wise

Living a solitary life

22 posts in this topic

My ideal lifestyle would be to lock myself in my apartment and live alone, pursuing enlightenment and enjoying isolation. But of course, I wouldn’t be able to pay the rent and survive. Does anyone have any ideas about how to earn a living whilst living in isolation?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Do some random crime. You will be taken to a prison and there you will live alone, rent and food will be all paid for. Nothing to worry about except your enlightenment. 

Kidding. This is just a phase in your life. I bet after 1 year of isolation you will be yearning to touch the hands of others and be glad that reality can be shared, not isolated. 

@How to be wise

Question the validity of thoughts which imply this is not already the case. What’s wanted is Being, and Being is not in a room or any space. I think you’ll realize much freedom, and a renewed appreciation for sharing & togetherness. It’s not the people that are the “problem”, it’s just believing the thoughts which don’t feel good. Godspeed. Maybe go have a mystical experience & shake out some fears...? Ya might be overdue. It can also be helpful to get assistance in spotting beliefs we are so accustomed to we aren’t aware we’re holding them. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

15 minutes ago, JosephKnecht said:

Do some random crime. You will be taken to a prison and there you will live alone, rent and food will be all paid for. Nothing to worry about except your enlightenment.  

I've contemplated this idea more than is probably healthy lmao

I've lived alone for the past 10 years.

In fact, in the past 10 years I've spent 8 Christmas days alone, 8 New Years Eve's alone and 10 birthday's alone. :)

From my own experience, I've manifested money via the stock market. If your position is: "I will protect the universe", then the universe's position is "I will protect you."

To be clear though....  life experience is defined by limitation. To actually break the code and manifest things such as money, you really need to specifically ask for it. You need to be at a state where you're ready to go home (die) but not quite ready.

At that point the universe basically offers you a deal. To slow down the ride..... instead of actually going full home.

Take that deal.

But always, always, protect the universe.

Humans are made to provide value, not to suck out of its environment, but to evolve to a point that you even elevate those around you. If you live completely alone, even if money wasn't an issue, you would probably feel empty and life as a meaningless thing.

I am realizing this more and more.

I could easily spent my life in a house alone doing my own thing but that becomes meaningless pretty fast.

Even if you become fully awake, blissing out 24/7, zero pain or suffering, it would feel empty after a while, like just another state, not different than shooting heroin 24/7 (assuming you could do it, without any issues, would you do it?). 

much more beautiful to do it in nature, and also much cheaper. move to an island with good weather, learn to fish and garden, and to pass the years. La Gomera in the Canary Islands is ideal

Sounds a bit extreme. The question is how are you going to provide value to others if you don't interact with them? Yes developing yourself is valuable to everyone even if you don't interact, but how will you survive? You are part of the tribe of humanity. :) Why not work for a certain period of time in a year and then spend the rest in isolation? There are many people who live in campervans (vanlife) who work seasonally. It's also a way of minimizing living expenses, still be able to travel and have a lot of free time. Check out CheapRVliving on youtube.

I've found that integrating consciousness work with nursing work, life purpose and family etc to be very rewarding. I'm an introvert and have taught myself to be social, and find my balance too. I lived in a campervan I built myself for a year. It was an amazing experience, but then I got over the feeling of being separate from everything as I started working with psychedelics. I got over the belief that I have to do everything myself and only rely on myself, which had caused me a lot of suffering. I realized I'm everyone so this illusionary boundary melted. I became a lot more open and interested in people. Low and behold, I've never enjoyed my work more than I do now. :D

Everything IS LOVE, everything is music... :x

I clearly remember a few times when you straight-up proclaimed that you were enlightened in various threads. Why would you pursue enlightenment then? Why would you want to live a solitary life?

What's happened? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious.

3 hours ago, nistake said:

I clearly remember a few times when you straight-up proclaimed that you were enlightened in various threads. Why would you pursue enlightenment then? Why would you want to live a solitary life?

What's happened? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious.

There’s always a more deeper enlightenment. The road of awakening never ends.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

What is the fear that pushes you to want to leave society?

Maybe that is what you have to research.

7 hours ago, RedLine said:

What is the fear that pushes you to want to leave society?

Maybe that is what you have to research.

It’s not fear. It’s just that when I am communicating with other people, I am less meditative and more distracted from my internal world, therefore it slows down my pursuing of enlightenment. My greatest progress happens when I’m most isolated.

7 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

It’s not fear. It’s just that when I am communicating with other people, I am less meditative and more distracted from my internal world, therefore it slows down my pursuing of enlightenment. My greatest progress happens when I’m most isolated.

The same thing happens to me. It is because there are still evil in me.

If you go back to your ego (desire) when you are communicating with other people, it is because you are judging (desiring) in that conversation. There is still shadow work to do. If you are complete love and no judge there is no way interaction with people could hurt you.

Well maybe at first it's gonna be a great spiritual atmosphere. There is a certain joy to being alone tbh. But after a while you will start getting bored and wishing to Interact with humans.. "ahh man I wish I have a girlfriend or some cool buddies to hang out with".  Social animals we are and all that. Unless you are going for a total liberation.. In which case you wouldn't be worried too much about the rent and survival.. Because you will realize it's all a dream lol :D

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

1 hour ago, RedLine said:

The same thing happens to me. It is because there are still evil in me.

If you go back to your ego (desire) when you are communicating with other people, it is because you are judging (desiring) in that conversation. There is still shadow work to do. If you are complete love and no judge there is no way interaction with people could hurt you.

I’m in the middle of the shadow work, which is why I require the isolation. 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Well maybe at first it's gonna be a great spiritual atmosphere. There is a certain joy to being alone tbh. But after a while you will start getting bored and wishing to Interact with humans.. "ahh man I wish I have a girlfriend or some cool buddies to hang out with".  Social animals we are and all that. Unless you are going for a total liberation.. In which case you wouldn't be worried too much about the rent and survival.. Because you will realize it's all a dream lol :D

The boredom is a sign that you need some enlightenment.

Also, getting kicked out of the house and dying in the streets is also a dream. I would rather wake up from the dream before that happened...

5 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

The boredom is a sign that you need some enlightenment

True. I need 3 grams of enlightenment every morning with my vitamins and 2 grams before bed to be immune to human emotions.  I must not be a human who feels natural human emotions to be an enlightened cold senseless zen rock. 

8 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Also, getting kicked out of the house and dying in the streets is also a dream. I would rather wake up from the dream before that happened...

Oh so you have some preferences and judgments??   Not so enlightened.  You must be OK with being tortured to death to be considered enlightened. :P

-Osho

@Nahm was being sarcastic lol. 

-Osho

It's quite cheap and sustainable financially even without a high paying job to buy or rent a small run down cabin outside a quite rural town, and renovate it a tiny bit so it's not awful. Only head back for basic supplies and groceries every month or so. Grow your own food, fix/build things yourself, use solar and wind for power, well water, etc.

It's a good option if you didn't want to work for many years at a time or permanently retire. You'd just have to save enough money or have enough passive income investments to give you a few hundred or about a thousand dollars a month, or just break even depending on your savings. Depending on how stringent you are with your budget you actually don't need THAT much money. You can probably get by on less than $5000-8000 a year. It's very possible to do that you just have to be radical with how many material things you're willing to give up.

This is basically the isolated lifestyle you're seeking. You aren't ever going out to buy dinner or pay for concerts and stuff like that. This is what true solitude means. You are sitting around all day meditating, contemplating, doing chores, swimming, hiking etc. Completely free activities.

If my relationship ever falls through or if I become extremely unhappy with normal life that's probably what I will do. I don't really care much or feel obligated to participate in this absolutely rotten society, or let alone bothered dealing with other people or family generally really. Most people are so broken and low consciousness anyways that it's exhausting to play into the illusion in the first place.

In a way I highly regret getting into this work and learning the things I have learned. To be honest if given the chance I'd be quite tempted to trade my place and be someone else that's completely blind, oblivious, and ego driven. Ignorance is bliss as they say, they aren't lying either.

If I got bored enough of that lifestyle and didn't feel enough motivation to go back to normal life I'd very likely commit suicide and leave all my things to my sister.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege