Leo Gura

Spiral Dynamics Stage Purple Examples Mega-Thread

235 posts in this topic

What If Reality Is Nothing But Perspective?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmNzIN0c2c

Leo says: "If I had to teach you one thing with my work I think it would be this. The ability to step back from all perspectives and to "realize" that no perspective is true, all perspectives are partial and that your own mind is always biased towards whatever perspective it has on the "world." It's like you have these blinders on where your mind [as memory?] deliberately is unwilling to question your own perspective precisley because "the mind" [what if our well-educated perspective is, 'I am my mind?' How is that true?] is situated in that perspective and it stands to lose its own self [the mind is a Self?] by giving up that perspective? [perspective or perception?]

And because it has this deep [nervous system created] fear of losing its perspective [conceptual perception of reality?] the way that it copes with that is to create all sorts of dysfunctional coping mechanisms [faith in conceptual reality] that "project" its own ignorance [how the mind is energized by the body?] and defensiveness and insecurities [don't let me be diminished by the innate power of motor-movement instincts & e-motions?] outward such that it doesn't have to focus in on questioning itself for example?" [in brackets mine]

Is the daily self-deception of our mind based on the "paradox" of our instinctive resistance to "internal" self-awareness, that is compounded by the world's education systems that only teach the "external" sense of reality that begins during our infancy? That "welcome to the world my child and learn how to know it by those shadows of reality we call words," The Goddess & Gods we call Parents teach us? As they "implicitly" convey a feeling of "believe with all your heart that you actually know yourself because you can name & number your anatomy?"

And is this why the Human Potential Movement of 1970s (a so last century Man, perspective?) came up with counter-intuitive comments like R. D. Laing's "“The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.” While importantly IMO, in the context of Leo's "What If Reality Is Nothing But Perspective?" Laing's most intuitive comment on our common existential confusion about the nature of reality, especially our own, is "we are all in a post-hypnotic trance induced in early infancy."

A perspective on the "habituated" nature of human development that IMO was well understood by Socrates, Plato and Jesus. And IMO we can, by synthesizing all the recent revelations about the structure and functioning of our "unseen" nervous system, wherein our perception of reality is created, bring the insights of Axial Age Perceptual Wisdom full circle, as Spiral Dynamics is kinda sorta trying to do? If we can take Socrates & Plato’s advice seriously with a realization that we are not our mind’s & that language creates a paradox of perception?

True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us. ― Socrates

All this time we have been repeating the words 'know,' 'understand.' Yet we do not know what knowledge is. ― Plato

Was Plato talking about self-knowledge and is Leo right about people like Socrates and Plato expressing their own perspective, or is he exhibiting the need of “self-differentiation” that we all have? The “you said this so I say that to prove to you and myself that I am a true individual?” Plato’s Allegory of the Cave is arguably the unsurpassed narrative about our instinctive resistance to facing reality as it is? Because, as modern psychology alludes to in its articulation of “flow-states,” life feels best when we are not too self-conscious and therefore don’t interrupt our autonomic nervous system’s capacity to orchestrate our behavior.

Photographer of stage purple cultures

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

17 minutes ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

Thumbs up aren't really a thing that the forums are set up for, but I'll give this a thumbs up.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Skip to 4:39

David Blaine performs magic for group of young men in Haiti. It's not understood as entertainment and instead is taken for harmful voodoo.

Edited by RickyBalboa

Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing! 9apps cartoonhd

Edited by bansalrehana

On 10/3/2020 at 7:47 AM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I'm posting a portrait of Karl Marx because he once described the phenomenon of 'primitive Communism'. 

main-qimg-632d2671be4bf8b102473fbb4f4101f5.jpg

karl-marx-300x313.jpg

Didn't slavery exist under capitalism tho?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 09/08/2020 at 5:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

Carlos Castaneda's Don Juan:

Wow this was absolutely beautiful. Time to face my first enemy tomorrow, when I tell my mother the truth about my religious beliefs. 

Edit: The deed has been done. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.