Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Perfection

Response to Adeptus Psychonautica's balanced, open-minded criticism of Actualized.org

4 posts in this topic

Adeptus Psychonautica is the Youtube Channel of a long time psychonaut, who has recently (about 4 months ago) made a video in which has was voicing some concerns regarding the path that Leo and Actualized.org are headed down.

I was really pleaseantly surprised watching this video. Unlike most criticisms of Actualized.org that I have come across throughout the years, this guy seems to be coming from a place of genuine concern, tries to remain open minded, and makes sure to provide constructive criticism rather than just starting an argument.

While a few of the points he criticized might have been due to simple misunderstandings, I found that there was still a lot to take away from this video.

I think Adeptus did a great job with this video, and definitely deserves a response. It's also worth saying that he had a generally positive impression of Actualized.org before stumbling upon some of the videos from 4-6 months ago, so he's in no way closed off towards this stuff.

@Leo Gura , posting a response to this video on your YouTube channel would not only be a good lithmus test of how well you can keep your own ego in check when publicly facing criticism, but also a good way to show that the image of you being overly dogmatic or egotistical (which even genuinely spiritually interested and open minded people have been increasingly having of you) isn't true. There might even be some practical takeaways on how to make your presentation style more conductive of people staying open minded when it comes to these topics.

A response video would not only be very interesting to see, but could also make a significant difference for the public image and future development of actualized.org, by showing that you're still willing to interact with people outside of the 5-Meo/Nonduality bubble. Definitely give Adeptus' video a watch!

Lots of luck with your future endeavors!

Sincerely, a long time viewer!

Edited by Perfection

If I remember correctly, Leo did respond right after the original jab was made at the beginning of one of his videos. If anyone remembers the specific video it was and wants to reply here,  please do.  @Perfection  You have a good point but I also  see not being reactive as indicative that one's ego is under control. 

Adeptus may have been well intentioned but to me it also smelled a little bit of a publicity stunt to cultivate viewership with his startup. That would be the more egoic in nature. I don't have an opinion about whether Leo should respond again or some more. I find Adeptus to be a likable guy but in going about it in the way he did,,,, He lost a bit of credibility with me. Dogma is an anathema around the territory of Actualized in my view. Everything is grist for the mill. The atmosphere is generally Socratic and open. Where's the dogma?  

Respectfully,,,?‍♂️

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

I dont think he will, like he said many times, "dont believe me, experience it yourself."

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Adeptus' views are (portrayed in his vids about Leo), imo, just reflections of social indoctrination. He highly praises people such as Stephen Hawkins and Neil Degrass Tyson, then demonises Leo for making radical claims. He explicitly states that Leo "cannot" perform mystical healing, and that him stating this in out of line, when he has no idea the extent of Leo's abilities or the legitimacy of his experiences.

I had a short interaction with him in the comments, where he said to me that I have opened myself up to radical possibility "perhaps too much". 

As for his follow-up video, his replies to the comments were dismissive and childish. He says that Spiral Dynamics are "simple ideas" and not "mic-drops", and that he himself could understand them by looking them up on Wikipedia. Anyone who has studied Spiral Dynamics will understand no, you cannot understand it by looking it up on Wikipedia, and the notion that perspectives of those from higher stages are incomprehensible to those of lower stages, are directly applicable to his critique of Leo. 

I don't like to debate or whine about other people's views, but his whole video was just him being closed-minded, and making fun of teenagers who leave silly comments. 

I know he is on this forum so I will say: I think his channel is really great for retreat reviews, psychedelic harm reduction, and education on psychedelics.