DefinitelyNotARobot

What the hell is a thought?

28 posts in this topic

What is a thought? I mean it's an object, but it's a weird one. It doesn't have a clear physical form. They are just... there. And once a thought arises it feels like that thought is everywhere. Like a program taking up 90% of the CPU we call awareness. I might be doing something like taking a walk and suddenly a thought is there. It just feels like there isn't any getting away from it. Like a SWAT team kicking in the front door of awareness. [thoughts be like...]

And don't get me started on all of this fucking attachment to thought. They are just like sounds that randomly arise, but somehow the "I" thinks that they are the sound of that "I".

Also where do they come from? What makes them arise? Let's say I sit in meditation and a thought like "I'm bored" arises. Why? Why does it arise in the first place? Why didn't a thought like "This is hella fun!" arise? What gives birth to these thoughts?

beep boop

Its truly beautiful isnt it... :) 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

9 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

What the hell is a thought?

A thought is an interpretation a thing in the mind that does this
It interprets sensations,  feelings and memories  in order to keep the body alive and safe

Edited by Nak Khid

A thought is but a frequency, like anything else. A vibration. It is a specific density of Light. 

What the hell is anything? ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What the hell is anything? ;)

you

A thought is nothing more than a distinction which doesn't exist.

What's the difference between a thought and a non-thought?

Is a thought the same as a memory?

Don't you need memory to remember and recognise stuff?

By extension isn't the whole world a thought?

All stories and explanations are false.

If you know you are the sky, would the clouds bother you? :D

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

Everything is what It is.  

That doesn't say what anything is but just so you don't go looking for what a thing is somewhere else from it. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

So we all agree then A thought is an interpretation a thing in the mind that does this. 
It interprets sensations,  feelings and memories  

A thought, as a spoken mental "object" is a re-creation of a sensory experience ie the hearing of speech, most commonly ones' own.

I don't know

But it's a good question to contemplate none the less.

Perhaps we could say a thought is "something" that takes God out of peace and clarity into tension, into illusion.

But this is also thought 

Thoughts are the vehicle for duality.

Thoughts create the isolated self, the external world.

Thoughts are not-real, yet everything is a thought.

What is real? Is anything not thought?

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

when you are a child you hardly think, when you grow your thoughts take up more space. the more insecure you are, the more protagonism, until you become a thinker. I think they are a manifestation of insecurity, a futile attempt to hold on to ...what? 

14 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Also where do they come from? What makes them arise? Let's say I sit in meditation and a thought like "I'm bored" arises. Why? Why does it arise in the first place? Why didn't a thought like "This is hella fun!" arise? What gives birth to these thoughts?

Thoughts are consciousness, which is you. If you take thoughts as personally, which mean is your memories and thoughts creates your personality and so called world, however when you are awake, duality, being human or universe  become a thought within non duality, which is non duality again. Every thoughts, visuals, sensations and feelings are identical, because it is all you. Naming and labeling them creates distinctions, which is a thought again. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

The objects in a higher dimension?

The senses (hearing, seeing, feeling etc) turned "inward" or towards this higher dimension?

9 minutes ago, wwhy said:

The objects in a higher dimension?

The senses (hearing, seeing, feeling etc) turned "inward" or towards this higher dimension?

All is identical. All happens within you as you. There is no in and out. You are the sun and body. If there is no sun, there is no you, if there is no you, there is no sun. Because sun and your body is a thought. If you are not aware, nothing is, which is all there is. Because I am aware is a thought. 

Edited by James123

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."