Raze

Leaked Footage of George Floyd arrest

67 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Rilles said:

You can't just send social workers into Iraq or the hood

Most social workers work in the “hood” just FYI 

For me Leo’s points are too brassy. And buys into the idea that people are responsible for their own murders. And that civilians should me more trained in how to act with the police that the actual police in how to interact with civilians. 
It reminds me of the sociological study of Deviance, the fact the the police is a form of social control and the  “The 6 Factors the Police conclude to arrest someone”:

1) the more serious the situation the more likely to make an arrest.

2) The officer takes into consideration the victim's wishes whether or not to make an arrest 

3) The arrest chances go up the more uncooperative a suspect is 

4) more likely to arrest someone they have arrested before (assumptions of guilt)

5)The presence of more observers increases the chance of arrest - (the more people watching, the stronger the  control of the situation the officer wants)

6)Even though it’s equal, police officers arrest more people of color than whites. Assumptions that African or Latino descent as either more dangerous or more likely to be guilty.

Even though these are sociological facts, that doesn’t mean we can’t deviate from them. It doesn’t mean they’re correct. If we just say “they had it coming” or “wrong place at the wrong time”. We are still blaming the victims and giving zero space for growth 

Edited by Jennjenn

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Police are trained to deal with hostile situations and they are given tools and weapons for such purposes.

What if a social worker walked up to George Floyd and he had a gun? You see the problem? You can't know ahead of time which situations will go hostile. It's all too easy to Monday-morning quarterback about it once you see the video. But it's very different when its happening to you in real-time and your life is on the line.

You must take into account the fog of war. Life is easy when you assume no fog of war.

This is true. However you know damn well this police was just plain racist.

A lot of officers in the US are people who post pro trump propaganda and boomer comics on facebook. Aka really dumb, racist and bigoted people. And you know this is true. I get that you respect police but you are simply being too much of a devils advocate in this argument. Its not for nothing riots broke out for weeks across the us. Dont act like you dont know that there was ill intent in the floyd situation.

THIS IS HOW I THINK THE ARREST SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

He had been arrested 9 times before and was already in car but then complaining about claustrophobia and he had just come out of a own car. 
 He was saying he could't breathe the whole time before he was even on the ground.   So all of that can be ignored because everybody is saying I can't breath now while getting arrested.   (it's a different matter when you have the person pinned on the ground or doing something that could affect the breathing- but that situation came later on the ground)  

Then after they were having trouble getting him into the car he said he wanted to lie on the ground,  they put him on the ground.
I think that then they should have not touched him for a while while he was on the ground like 5 minutes, not said anything and see what he would do.  Then after 5 minutes tell him he's going in the car hes' being arrested.  if he still refused to get in the car you have 4 officers grab his legs and force him in that car (but no punching)
   If they still felt they couldn't get him in and shut the door call a police van and walk him into a police van.   It's easy at that point  
Put your knee on his neck ?   No,  never 

So you're saying why add the expense of bringing in a van?   Because if you don't bad things happen people get killed, the department gets sued for millions and protesters burn 20 buildings to the ground.   So tell the person, you are being arrested no matter what. You can go in a van or  if you are worried about your breathing we'll bring an ambulance you can get extra oxygen but if you take the ambulance you will be strapped in. . Take your pick 
So then you bring in a van or ambulance and the situation is done and there doesn't have to be nation wide protests.  

Edited by Nak Khid

14 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

The cop approached George and he doesn't know him, they aren't buddies, for all the cop know, George could easily be carrying a gun and, as you should know, we aren't in a video game here, if you lose your life, it is DONE and all it takes to lose your life is the 2 seconds it takes to pull out a gun and pull the trigger.

The cop repeatedly asked him to raise his hands and put them on the steering wheel precisely because of that and George repeatedly disobeyed a simple order. He was panicking, probably on drugs and people on drugs panicking can easily kill someone on the heat of the moment.

If a cop asks you to raise your hands, it is NOT because he gets off his authority, it is a standard security procedure.  

I have had cops pointing guns to me a few times. It was a relaxing experience? Not at all, but i kept cool, slow movements, showing hands and all went fine.

Am I supposed to disagree? :)

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Jennjenn We rly need both. 

4 hours ago, Nak Khid said:

THIS IS HOW I THINK THE ARREST SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

Then after they were having trouble getting him into the car he said he wanted to lie on the ground,  they put him on the ground.

I think that then they should have not touched him for a while while he was on the ground like 5 minutes, not said anything and see what he would do.  Then after 5 minutes tell him he's going in the car hes' being arrested.  if he still refused to get in the car you have 4 officers grab his legs and force him in that car (but no punching)
   If they still felt they couldn't get him in and shut the door call a police van and walk him into a police van.   It's easy at that point  
Put your knee on his neck ?   No,  never 

So you're saying why add the expense of bringing in a van?   Because if you don't bad things happen people get killed, the department gets sued for millions and protesters burn 20 buildings to the ground.   So tell the person, you are being arrested no matter what. You can go in a van or  if you are worried about your breathing we'll bring an ambulance you can get extra oxygen but if you take the ambulance you will be strapped in. . Take your pick 
So then you bring in a van or ambulance and the situation is done and there doesn't have to be nation wide protests.  

Picking him up and holding him by his legs is unsafe. 

Beau here explains how to put him in a car easily and safely. 

If that doesn't work then call the van and ambulance. 

We need all cops to know basic stuff lile this. Maybe have them all go twice a week for an hour train this until they get a certain level of competence then they get a certificate and dont need to come any more. If you are slow learner you keep coming for how ever long it takes to learn the basics. 

Sometimes trying to save their emotions will make it harder for them and if you just put them in the car they will relax because its done and it wasn't that bad as they thought it would be and trying to get them to understand that is sometimes impossible.