Value

Defining Beauty, what do you guys think?

33 posts in this topic

My best definition is: "Impressions, phenomena and things that connect you to deeper perception, deeper emotions, fascination or wonder.

Lets discuss beauty, and leave your own definition if you want.

Beauty is a perception, like pain or warmth. Phenomena are not beautiful, rather beauty is it's own phenomena which the mind creates.

Glory to Israel

@Scholar I think you're right that beauty resides in the beholder. I think Beauty is always composed of the qualities of connecting you to deeper perception and deeper emotions, fascination or wonder. Hbu?

@Megan Alecia I think that's true for a lot of beauty. However some things are beautiful without making you happy (sad movies etc). Beauty "grabbing you" is maybe another way of saying what I call "connecting you to deeper perception". How would you define "potent"?

For me beauty has much in common with Love. Like a warm feeling. It attracts me and I want to connect with whatever I find beautiful.

It inspires you to see the beauty in yourself.

And it makes you conscious in the way that you want to be present while perceiving it and enjoy the experience.

That can turn into a distraction when you get obsessed with it and can't let it go.

❤️

@Value

Beauty is an illusion of the ego-mind. Contemplate deeply why you think anything is beautiful. It all boils down to your identity. Without identity, beautiful vs. ugly doesn't exist.

It is a misperception. Delusion.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

32 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Value

Beauty is an illusion of the ego-mind. Contemplate deeply why you think anything is beautiful. It all boils down to your identity. Without identity, beautiful vs. ugly doesn't exist.

It is a misperception. Delusion.

How does beauty depend on identity? I don't get it.

Beauty is a representation of something in your field of perception. It is metaphysical and positive. A quality something has.

That doesnt uniquely define it. Qualities of mystery are also metaphysical, positive perceptions.

Is absurdist art considered beautiful? If not, what is it?

Edited by Artsu

1 minute ago, Artsu said:

How does beauty depend on identity? I don't get it.

It requires contemplation.

1 minute ago, Artsu said:

Beauty is a representation of something in your field of perception. It is metaphysical and positive. A quality something has.

It's a feeling that arises from certain ideas. These ideas are deeply tied to your identity.

2 minutes ago, Artsu said:

That doesnt uniquely define it. Qualities of mystery are also metaphysical, positive perceptions.

Well, that is your misperception. Perception is neither positive or negative. That is you adding a filter upon it.

3 minutes ago, Artsu said:

Is absurdist art considered beautiful? If not, what is it?

Any form of communication is fundamentally an illusion of the ego-mind. Art is but one form. Absurdist art is a branch of art. Beauty is a concept.

Beautiful or not, is subjective, to your identity.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Beauty, at its core, is appreciation and love towards aspects of reality.

Things you don't find beautiful threaten your survival and identity. 

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@Osaid Hell yes I agree with that.

@Gesundheit In a sense you are right, but do you really mean that you have transcended beauty and never experience the sensation of it?

@universe I agree! My first definition of beauty went "...connects you with deeper perception, love related feelings...". Hmm.

3 minutes ago, Value said:

@Osaid 

@Gesundheit do you really mean that you have transcended beauty and never experience the sensation of it?

Not quite, but very much, yes. For example, I still feel attracted to beautiful women.

Yet, I experience untraditional forms of beauty and ugliness. I can't put this into words.

I resonate with Rupert Spira's definition of beauty:

Beauty is not a quality of an object. Beauty is the collapse of the distinction between ourself and the object.

(from "Beauty Is Not a Property of Objects" video)

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@allislove There is def something to that. But also things can be beautiful without collapsing the distinction between you and the object.

12 minutes ago, Value said:

@Gesundheit Good for you man.

Need I say anything about good vs. bad? lol

@Value nope :P

You have to collapse "me" to experience beauty.

@allislove So if I watch a beautiful horror movie, I'm not sure how that collapses the distinction between me and the object? Although I had some degree of a Samadhi experience once where the distinction between me and the objects I was viewing became one, which was very a powerful experience where everything became immensely beautiful, so there is something to what you're saying. Still though, things can be beautiful even if you're viewing it "from an ego"..?

Edited by Value
Bad grammar in previous post

6 minutes ago, Value said:

Still though, things can be beautiful even if you're viewing it "from an ego"..?

Beauty is not a property of objects.

To experience the beauty you have to forget about illusory ego for a moment ❤️

10 minutes ago, allislove said:

@Value 

You have to collapse "me" to experience beauty.

This is fundamentally true, but it's still dualistic.

To experience beauty is in and of itself a result of being identified with duality. So when duality collapses, and identification stops, beauty arises.

Therefore, to experience beauty is to be deluded and living in duality.

@Gesundheit

Duality = Non-Duality

The nature of everything is Beauty/Happiness/Peace.

From ego perspective, I think beauty is longing for an idea. Your dream, no matter how small like a jewel, manifested in material world. Once you immerse yourself with the beautiful thing, it becomes ordinary.

Like a trophy wife, beauty can also be used to boost your ego in social circles.