The Don

As I'm practicing writing, I'm getting better at it. So should you!

12 posts in this topic

Hello.

Out of nowhere, I got an insight. It came to me after I started to think about my writing skills. I must admit, I'm obsessed with writing because it improves my ability to articulate understanding. In today's world, it's crucial to have this skill.

So I thought about asking this question to see what you guys think, including @Leo Gura: when we write on this forum, can we consider this to be writing "practice"?

The fact that we share knowledge here through the means of writing, can we consider it to be a practice?

What do you guys think?

Me on the road less traveled.

I was terrible with essays. I posted a lot on forums, initially two liners, but then into essay style posts. When i had to do actual essays again, I was great at them.

9 minutes ago, Artsu said:

I was terrible with essays. I posted a lot on forums, initially two liners, but then into essay style posts. When i had to do actual essays again, I was great at them.

So writing on forums helps. That's what I wanted to find out. I'll engage more here.

I'd say that you would get more out of reading story writing theory and reading novels while paying attention to how the theory apply to the novels.

Personally I would love to learn how to explain my ideas on the spot. Its easy on a forum as you have all the time in the world to write, but a lot harder during live discussion.

41 minutes ago, The Don said:

So writing on forums helps. That's what I wanted to find out. I'll engage more here.

Longer posts especially. Aim for 8 paragraphs or so.

Just now, Artsu said:

Longer posts especially. Aim for 8 paragraphs or so.

Thank you! I'll do that.

3 hours ago, The Don said:

Btw the reason 8 is a key number here is because there are 8 cognitive functions, 8 basic sides to an issue. Each new paragraph typically represents a different cognitive function, so you will process the information in a sequence, and the sequence is based on your personality type. It goes from introduction to semi-conclusion to conclusion. I am not totally sure what happens if you keep writing past the 8 paragraphs. Ive noticed that sometimes there is a kind of review that is put there that kind of looks at the whole thing together. The most common number of paragraphs i use is 4, but you need to interpret "paragraph" based on when there is a shift from one mode of understanding to the next. For example, i haven't pressed enter yet, so this is all one paragraph, but i have looked at multiple sides of the issue now, so this is essentially multiple paragraphs, i just didnt structure it that way.

That would be 4 paragraphs i just wrote.

Did that make sense? Its advanced personality type stuff so it might be tricky to "get".

2 hours ago, Artsu said:

Btw the reason 8 is a key number here is because there are 8 cognitive functions, 8 basic sides to an issue. Each new paragraph typically represents a different cognitive function, so you will process the information in a sequence, and the sequence is based on your personality type. It goes from introduction to semi-conclusion to conclusion. I am not totally sure what happens if you keep writing past the 8 paragraphs. Ive noticed that sometimes there is a kind of review that is put there that kind of looks at the whole thing together. The most common number of paragraphs i use is 4, but you need to interpret "paragraph" based on when there is a shift from one mode of understanding to the next. For example, i haven't pressed enter yet, so this is all one paragraph, but i have looked at multiple sides of the issue now, so this is essentially multiple paragraphs, i just didnt structure it that way.

That would be 4 paragraphs i just wrote.

Did that make sense? Its advanced personality type stuff so it might be tricky to "get".

Yes.

Start a journal.

Read something and write an essay about in your journal and we can read and give you feedback about it. Do it weekly, or on a daily basis, as it suits your schedule.

I love to write poetry dedicated to souls who are lost. It helps me find myself, and also really helps with connecting different terms together when I try to not to use the same word twice. I feel much more aligned after spewing out some poems.  

Edited by OctagonOctopus

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.