lmfao

Psychedelics,Absolute vs States, Peter Ralston:The family of associations that's here

5 posts in this topic

My aim is to get people to understand and have a feel for all this stuff rather than uneeded chatter about what's right or wrong.

So this thread isn't just about Peter, the essence you feel behind what Peter teaches and what other people teach is the same. Similar to Peter are the likes of Jiddu Krishnamurti, even Jed McKenna. 

The point is this. By very virtue of the path these guys advocate for, they have to take a particular "stance" on this issue of states of consciousness since it pertains to absolute vs relative. These guys want you to question everything and ask the question of, why is it that you require meditation or psychedelics or yoga? So unless you question why the need for these altered states of consciousness, you won't follow their path or see the point. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

31 minutes ago, lmfao said:

So unless you question why the need for these altered states of consciousness, you won't follow their path or see the point. 

You can question the need for altered state of consciousness for 40 years, and still you will not understand the importance of changing your state of consciousness.

There is nothing but states of consciousness. You are always in some state of consciousness. And the state you are in right now is very weak. You are not even 0.01% conscious. And no amount of questioning will get you to Infinite Consciousness.

Questioning is weaker than a change in your state of consciousness.

You will not solve this problem through questioning. You cannot break out of a limited state through questioning.

Your state is absolutely fundamental. You will not awaken deeply without changing it.

P.S. All states are Absolute. Stop framing states as distinct from the Absolute. This is yet another sneaky duality that you are creating. If you think that the Absolute is separate from states, you're not getting Oneness.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Fair

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Thing is though Leo, none of my best enlightenment breakthroughs have come from a formal meditation session, it's been when I'm doing inquiry. The questioning I'm talking about is referred to formally as "inquiry" or self-inquiry although I see no difference between those things for myself. 

Just sitting down normally in a chair, paying attention to my experience thoughts and questions, letting them expand and watching. 

The "altered state" I enter, if you call it that, is probably very different from the blissful state someone on psychedelics has, but it is definitely legit. I don't know how deep others have gone ofc and am open to the possibility of them or myself going  infinitely deeper. 

I know for sure there is a kernel of truth here to the distinction Jed Mckenna makes between mysticism and enlightenment. Since I've experienced the two in isolation from each other, to various degrees for temporary periods of time, and can see. Hell, I had an unmistakable enlightenment breakthrough very recently but it wasn't some mystical high. It was a high for a bit but not completely. 

Wrote this yesterday:

I know this is it. But It is completely empty. It's nothing. Once again I've been shocked into "higher consciousness". I see everything is made out of nothing. I wanted this to be a "positive" experience but that was fake grasping.

It hit me whilst I was intensely brooding and concentrating on my experience. At first I felt some joy, as I felt like whatever it was I was trying to overcome had been lessened, and I tried to morph the experience of complete nothingness into something good. For moments I felt joy. I felt joy and thought that existence itself was a blessing, that I'm lucky to exist and lucky to have something rather than nothing. It's the joyous news! There's something despite nothing! How great!

But now later here I am. My life is suffering. Seeing this nothingness, I know, I know, I will never die. And I'm terrified. And there's just this meaninglessness. And I will just exist as this pure meaninglessness nothing forever?  

There's nothing here, and there will never not be nothing. And so I'm immortal. 

I'm in a state of shock to be honest. Can't believe any of this is real. I'm used to living in the world of fantasy, fiction, and the trivial. But this is everything. But I can't accept it and I'm in denial. I can't believe this isn't a dream, can't believe that this is really it. 

This enlightened state does nothing to improve your ego. Anyone thinking it does hasn't seen the true face of this all. My costume, my ego, it's all the exact same. Not a single bit has changed. Only difference is that some sense sees my own character and everyone else as an NPC, a fake character. 
----
It's crazy how full circle I've gone. I felt this way back when I was 13 and was a religious muslim high on Islam, high on prayer and mystical experiences. The terror of eternity and imagining an existence of forever. Now here I am. Everything and nothing has a changed at the same time. 
---
No one can hold your hand, no one can make the emptiness go away.

It's just you. It's your show. 

It's strange how I'm much more animated and joyful in my interactions with people when to a certain extent I feel dead. But I'm still terrified and in shock, despite the exterior appearance of fluidity to anyone who talks to me. Very weird. Existence is strange.

---
So what I'm primarily talking about here are the misconceptions people have about enlightenment and it improving yourself. I feel that's partially at the core of what's behind people who make the distinction between enlightenment and mysticism. I suppose that's at the crux of this, me making a distinction between enlightenment and mysticism and self improvement. I'll end this on the note that maybe I'm using other people's foolishness about what enlightenment and mysticism means as justification for my own foolishness. 

Either way, whatever I say or you say in this or that words, the result is the same. "Back to work"

-------
The real motivation behind everything I've typed is that I'm terrified of the nothingness and am distracting myself back into fantasy because I'm still in shock from what I've seen. Unbelievable, this all feels unreal. I'm so accustomed to the mundane and trivial that I can't believe I'm seeing the actual truth of things.

The reason 99.999% of us, including me, got into this work was so that we could play the game of "The quest to enlightenment". My ego wanted to enjoy and feel good about myself. I didn't really want enlightenment.

I think there comes a point for a lot of us where we reach the point of no return, no turning back. You've seen too much and things can never be the same. 

Your head is already in the tiger's mouth. There is no escape

- Ramana Maharshi 

Edited by lmfao

On 8/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Leo Gura said:

There is nothing but states of consciousness. You are always in some state of consciousness. And the state you are in right now is very weak. You are not even 0.01% conscious. And no amount of questioning will get you to Infinite Consciousness.

what is your estimate as to your own percentage conscious  ?