Epikur

Why children should work

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, modmyth said:

@Epikur  You are capable of reconditioning yourself, if you wish. :D

I am working on it for 30 years. Reprogramming can make it worse.  Never going to be a japanese in this life.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jennjenn said:

I really don’t know how people are supposed to teach a selfish little child (which all of them are) to “think freely”. That’s for adults. 

Wooow. LOL. Honestly I have a hard time imagining how anyone could think that this is true. Do some research about doing philosophy with children. You would be amazed what sort of answers to philosophical questions kids come up with. I distinctly remember one answer by a really young kid (somewhere between 6-10) to the question of "What do you think God is?"

The kid said: "God is so big/great, it is bigger/greater than anything else. Nothing is as big/great."

This is a famous definition in philosophy and precisely the same that Anselm of Canterbury gives as part of his ontological argument for the existence of God. And that kid came up with the answer without knowing anything about philosophy. Hell, he didn't even know what philosophy was.

@KingCrimson kids can be great philosophers, indeed. 
what i was talking about here was practical stuff. Like cleaning after themselves or not eating insane amounts of sugar. For that they need guidance, they don’t have sufficient management skills just yet.
Their frontal lobes will not be fully developed until almost 25 years old. Imagine at 7 or 9 years of age. 

Wow, some users here definitely have shadows in their childhood. Getting triggered over some cleaning discipline for kids?

Indoctrination will always occur, it's just whether it's harmful or not. They can question the indoctrinations later, but their selfishness has to be dealt with asap. Good parenting is complex, but when it comes to harm, installing some discipline into children does slightly lower the chances of them doing harm to other children in society, because we are SOCIAL CREATURES. 

@KingCrimson

On 8/4/2020 at 11:04 PM, KingCrimson said:

Wooow. LOL. Honestly I have a hard time imagining how anyone could think that this is true. Do some research about doing philosophy with children. You would be amazed what sort of answers to philosophical questions kids come up with. I distinctly remember one answer by a really young kid (somewhere between 6-10) to the question of "What do you think God is?"

The kid said: "God is so big/great, it is bigger/greater than anything else. Nothing is as big/great."

This is a famous definition in philosophy and precisely the same that Anselm of Canterbury gives as part of his ontological argument for the existence of God. And that kid came up with the answer without knowing anything about philosophy. Hell, he didn't even know what philosophy was.

Keep in mind, there are some cases of children killing or torturing other children.