Roy

Is the desire for immortality the ultimate & purest form of ego?

19 posts in this topic

Is the pursuit of immortality (or as close to it as possible) in the form of cloning or uploading of consciousness to a computer the ultimate form of Ego/Selfishness/Fear for humans or any living thing?

I can't think of a better example, because from the perspective of the ego trying to accomplish this, there is such a piercing focus on the selfishness of it that there are blinders on to literally everything else around it.

I guess you could say becoming a "God" like Zeus or something would be better, but I'm talking about things that could realistically happen in our world.

Curious to hear some thoughts on this, cheers!

hrhrhtewgfegege

There is no self.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

10 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

There is no self.

Lol...

22 minutes ago, Roy said:

but I'm talking about things that could realistically happen in our world.

Oh...becoming Immortal is 100% realistic. Or at least realising that you were never a mortal being in the first place. But *TRULY* realising this...this is not just possible, it is to be expected! That is what happens when you awaken deeply. 

Perhaps the desire to become awakened and immortal is ego driven, but I don't think this is a problem. I theorise that the ego must be strengthened before it is destroyed. Or at least the *identification* with the ego is destroyed. I definitely have "becoming Immortal" as one of my top reasons for pursuing awakening myself like

Edited by Aaron p

Speaking personally.. When I investigate this deep enough.. This is the last thing I want as an ego.. To be immortal.. Wow what a hellish thing!.  Think about it.. The only reason you can tolerate this life is because of the possibility of your death in the future.. The possibility of annihilation at some point.. That you experience a glimpse of during deep sleep.  That's the only way you can tolerate the mass of existence.. By realizing there's an opposite side to that coin.   

Living forever as the same finite self is what hell is.  Imagine that you will keep living this same life as this little human organism on this earth on this universe exactly as it is FOREVER.. That would drive you out of your goddam mind crazy bored suicidal (but there is no suicide you are stuck lol).  Seriously this is the worst possible torture.  I never understood how immortality could be a good thing.. The best thing about life is it fucking ends.  Maybe If you live a new life from scratch after wiping your memory clean and you start fresh as if it is the first time you ever existed.. That would be a reasonable alternative. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

@Roy great question.

I think it's only as selfish as every other egoic delusion hah. Can the ego every really truly accept death? I'm pretty sure mine will always fear it and try to find a way around it. 

The irony is that if the ego lived forever it would eventually explore every concept including itself. In doing so, it would realise its own unreality! 

So if the digital ego became enlightened, what would it be? 

Divest from the conceptual. Experience the actual.

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

Maybe If you live a new life from scratch after wiping your memory clean and you start fresh as if it is the first time you ever existed.. That would be a reasonable alternative. 

As if there’s anything other than that going on here. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

3 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

There is no self.

You're full of knowledge we know. Can you contribute to the conversation if you're going to comment?

3 hours ago, Aaron p said:

Oh...becoming Immortal is 100% realistic. Or at least realising that you were never a mortal being in the first place. But *TRULY* realising this...this is not just possible, it is to be expected! That is what happens when you awaken deeply. 

For sure, but I'm talking about in the material sense. If regular egos knew about this work and found out they could become immortal through spirituality instead of materialism well.......... let's just say the world would be a lot better place.

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

Imagine that you will keep living this same life as this little human organism on this earth on this universe exactly as it is FOREVER.. That would drive you out of your goddam mind crazy bored suicidal (but there is no suicide you are stuck lol).  Seriously this is the worst possible torture.  I never understood how immortality could be a good thing..

You're right. But they know not of the consequences. Like I said there are blinders on and it's pure untainted selfishness. The ego is so driven and reckless for immortality that it naively assumes life is going to remain near exactly the same during the eternity it has, with all it's material pleasures and worldly situation being untouched, and it's motives and indulgences the same as well.

Delusion.

3 hours ago, Shmurda said:

The irony is that if the ego lived forever it would eventually explore every concept including itself. In doing so, it would realise its own unreality! 

That's a pretty deep irony at that :D

hrhrhtewgfegege

24 minutes ago, Nahm said:

As if there’s anything other than that going on here. 

LOL how do you know?  Isn't that just a belief? You have no direct experience of reincarnation. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 minutes ago, Someone here said:

LOL how do you know?  Isn't that just a belief? You have no direct experience of reincarnation. 

See for yourself. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Becoming immortal on earth you mean? As opposed to the spirit world? How silly!

Those with divine love are immortal, once they die. Those without it, i dont know. 

It's not necessaily ego to want to be immortal (after death) but it could be.

12 minutes ago, Artsu said:

Becoming immortal on earth you mean? As opposed to the spirit world? How silly!

The egos looking to be immortal don't know or care about the spirit world. So it's not silly to them. From their perspective, you're silly!

hrhrhtewgfegege

Just now, Roy said:

The egos looking to be immortal don't know or care about the spirit world. So it's not silly to them. From their perspective, you're silly!

Yeah and they can go on thinking that. I can wait 50 or so years to be proven right.

Haha.

But yeah, immortal on earth. . That sounds like a lack of faith. Earth is meant as a temporary place for young souls.

If you are materialistic , you will panic to die. You couldn't even think seriously in your death, so of course, the ego d try to prolongin the life of the body as long as is possible , a cosmic age if the science can reach this, and it's possible than science in any moment could do it. In our egoic society it would be the most important thing when science could: prolong the life of the body

Edited by cobalto
Mistake

8 hours ago, Roy said:

Is the pursuit of immortality (or as close to it as possible) in the form of cloning or uploading of consciousness to a computer the ultimate form of Ego/Selfishness/Fear for humans or any living thing?

I can't think of a better example, because from the perspective of the ego trying to accomplish this, there is such a piercing focus on the selfishness of it that there are blinders on to literally everything else around it.

I guess you could say becoming a "God" like Zeus or something would be better, but I'm talking about things that could realistically happen in our world.

Curious to hear some thoughts on this, cheers!

The desire to attain anything is rooted in survival.  It is a selfish egoic pleasure.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

The "worst" form of ego is denial of ego, ignorance, unconsciousness. Self-deception.

The "best" form of ego is selflessness, empathy, love, consciousness, acceptance of self-deception/ego-

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

6 hours ago, Roy said:

You're full of knowledge we know.

I'm not. That's your projection.

6 hours ago, Roy said:

Can you contribute to the conversation if you're going to comment?

I already did. You're trying to demonize a thing that doesn't even exist. What else is there to say? The less you think/talk about this subject the better. There's no good coming from this.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Hah. Like clockwork.

hrhrhtewgfegege

The entire game of the ego is survival, so yes keeping itself immortal. But immortality is a game it will always lose, the ego will either evolve or perish at some point. Also, it does not have to be literal physical immortality. It only wants itself, as a virtual identity, to be immortal. Maybe that does not involve the actual physical body, but physical immortality may be a popular goal for the ego as it fits in with the self-preservation agenda.

Bottom line, ego loves to be attached and prevent impermanence so that it can preserve itself. But, the thing that it wants to preserve does not have to be the physical body.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho