andyjohnsonman

Leos blog on nationalism

15 posts in this topic

I consider myself a global citizen. However there are some points I would like to talk about.

Leo put in his post, "today, thanks to technology, each year, mankind is becoming more and more interconnected as one global community. This trend is inevitable and irreversible. But much of the world's population is running on the age-old nationalist operating system, thus resisting global integration. It's a matter of identity. Global integration requires relinquishing one's old, limited national identity — which feels threatening and uncomfortable for many people."

How can you just push all countries aside with their rich traditions, identity, language, culture etc. Surely one of the beauties is to have these rich diverse differences? I think you can have pride in your countries history, achievements etc without demonising other countries or having a superiority complex. I lived in China for 7 years and it is true that you can bond a lot easier with people closer to your own culture. I found it alot easier bonding with Europeans than Chinese due to big cultural differences. I would also say I bonded more with my own countries people than Europeans. I also feel  that a homogenous group of people have the right to be ruled by themselves, does that make them nationalistic? 

Contrary to this post I am a globalist but these are the points I would like to add as to why nationalism isn't all bad.

Nationalism is the death of traditions, languages and cultures. Most of our traditions are much older than nationalism. Certainly our languages are.

Yet nationalism isn't all bad... when it comes to resisting imperialism. So the issue is the kind of integration you're talking about.

45 minutes ago, andyjohnsonman said:

How can you just push all countries aside with their rich traditions, identity, language, culture etc. Surely one of the beauties is to have these rich diverse differences? I think you can have pride in your countries history, achievements etc without demonising other countries or having a superiority complex. I lived in China for 7 years and it is true that you can bond a lot easier with people closer to your own culture. I found it alot easier bonding with Europeans than Chinese due to big cultural differences. I would also say I bonded more with my own countries people than Europeans. I also feel  that a homogenous group of people have the right to be ruled by themselves, does that make them nationalistic?

Globalism does not mean melting all cultures into one indistinct pot of fondue, ruled by an iron fight.

Your logic is as silly as saying: How can you push aside all the rich traditions and identities of the 13 colonies to create the United States?

The problem with nationalism is precisely that it creates an exclusive, not an inclusive national patriotism and identity. It's merely that America is great, it's that America is the best no matter what and America can do no wrong.

Globalism allows for individual autonomy but in an coordinated way as part of a large global community. But it does take away exclusivity and the we-are-the-best attitude.

What globalism wants has already been done in the formation of the United States with great success. All we're talking about is increasing the geographic scale.

You should keep in mind that the formation of the United States was vehemently opposed. As was the formation of every country from a collection of tribes and city-states.

Every attempt at unity is always opposed by devils.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Increasing the geographical scale? Now that's a cold way to talk about genocide.

@commie If you keep acting dense, you're gonna get kicked outta here.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Globalism does not mean melting all cultures into one indistinct pot of fondue, ruled by an iron fight.

Your logic is as silly as saying: How can you push aside all the rich traditions and identities of the 13 colonies to create the United States?

The problem with nationalism is precisely that it creates and exclusive, not an inclusive national patriotism and identity. It's merely that America is great, it's that America is the best no matter what and America can do no wrong.

Globalism allows for individual autonomy but in an coordinated way as part of a large global community. But it does take away exclusivity and the we-are-the-best attitude.

What globalism wants has already been done in the formation of the United States with great success. All we're talking about is increasing the geographic scale.

great respnse thanks for clearing it up for me

What globalism wants has already been done in the formation of the United States with great success.

I just wish the national obsession with race would dissolve. It's so tiresome. So very tiresome, and it's only getting worse. 

I mean, imagine a world where Rachel Maddow and her antipode, Sean Hannity, were obsolete. 

@Call Me Whatever I'm with you there.... It's not like racism and issues regarding race don't exist or that we should ignore them entirely, but I feel like a lot of these discussions about racism and identity politics are such a big distraction from actually getting stuff done. Instead of wasting so much time pointing fingers and throwing a fit on twitter about people being racists and bigots, how about we start advocating for actual change; investing in low-income neighborhoods and trying to provide better schools, more affordable housing, better child care or what ever the case may be. I feel like most of these issues boil down to economics, and the way in which we can solve a lot of these problems and turn some of these african-american communities around is through proper economic policies.

@andyjohnsonman i don't think there is any problem if homogenous people ruling their nation, atleast for now.

For me, i think globalisation means increasing connections with other nations and setting up some international organisation which we have been seeing since world war one. 

But in future, it will break up hegemony of homogenous people and we will start to see more and more interrascial people because more globalisation=more travel between contries=marrying/starting relationship will people of other races are and ethnicities. 

When the total number of the interracial people surpasses the  total number of homogenous people, then the  whole thing called nationalism will crumble. I think we will see that process starting very soon.

But nationalism will be staying here for a while. Maybe it will stay in my lifetime.

@Annoynymous The UN tries to get Japan to settle non-Asians and they pretty much refuse. China opening its borders either. These homogenous countries look at what's going on in the US and they want none of it. 

@Call Me Whatever that's part of bringing something new.

The world is evolving,  so it can not evolve without bringing new problems. That does not mean it's bad. 

Ofcourse, people will resist. But then again, evolution will happen no matter what.

38 minutes ago, Call Me Whatever said:

never ending racial conflict

That's been going on for 300 years.

The only surprise is thinking it ever stopped.

The last 10,000 years of human history is just a countless series of tribalist and nationalist conflicts.

These are the oldest tricks in the book.

I bet you if you find the oldest piece of human writing, it will have something to do with tribal conflict.

Overpopulation will also work against globalism. Its easier to all be happy when there's enough food for everyone.