Farnaby

I get triggered when people self-diagnose themselves

25 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, Keyhole said:

Sometimes it really depends on the circumstance.

The thing about being professionally diagnosed is that generally they don't know you accurately enough to diagnose you with the right thing.

I've seen many different people and each time I am diagnosed with something new and different.  For the most part they just sort across stuff off just in the same way that you would be doing.

You're almost better off learning about your own mental state and figuring out what it might be that is your issue.  In fact if you bring it to someone to diagnose you that you think that one particular thing might be what's wrong with you they're more than likely to just go ahead and agree with that then to inquire much further.

Honestly I'm starting to personally separate from anything that has to do with the mental health field, in all forms.  Most of them simply don't know any better than their subjects.

If someone is self diagnosing themselves assume that they are probably correct or pretty close to figuring out what it is.  You can even directly ask them why they think that they have that disorder if they openly discuss their mental health.  

You would have to have a discussion with them to determine the validity of their self diagnosis.

As for people who mentioned their mental illnesses early on in order to explain particular behaviors, this might be due to guilt, shame, having previous people misunderstand them and so they want to clear that up before it happens again, or sometimes because they want special treatment, but usually it is because they are in the process of recovery.

Perfect :x

Mental health field are cut in the half, "what science belief" and "money issues" stops it to turn into holistic, easy said.

On 4/8/2020 at 0:20 PM, seeking_brilliance said:

The title of your thread is very ironic lol

Lol I get what you mean. But to me it's different to be aware of something that I experience (being triggered) vs. self-diagnosing with clinical labels such as depression, bipolar, etc. 

@Farnaby @Zigzag Idiot

(not idiot, phone bug) 

I would think they are at least trying to bring awareness to their issues, whether their diagnosis is correct or not. But I understand it's annoying when they use it as an excuse for their behaviour and not a map for change

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

I understand.

Mental illness is a very serious and complex thing. Some people read some stuff on the internet, and they feel like they're competent to self-diagnose themselves.

There's also the romantization of things like depression or bipolar, as if it was a "cool" thing to have. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I also don't like how some people make their condition part of their identity. It's like, "Hi, I'm Joe, and I have depression."

I don't have any problem talking about my struggles with mental health, but not all of the time. A person who does that becomes very boring to be around with.

one day this will all be memories