Jennjenn

Trump is banning Tik tok

46 posts in this topic

trump just announced a few minutes ago that he’s banning tik tok. 
I understand that the China situation is very complicated and shady to say the least. But I can’t help but feel that this is a fascist move and revenge because of what generation z did to his Trump rally 

Can we make our own tik tak that doesn't spy on people? 

10 minutes ago, Jennjenn said:

revenge because of what generation z did to his Trump rally 

That’s interesting never thought of that. 

India also banned TikTok, as well as other countries before the USA.  We’re one of the last ones to even think about doing it.

TikTok is actually a big security risk because all the data goes all the way back to the CCP.  Huawei was also banned from using Google services/apps on their Android platform.

Unfortunately, the entire planet is looking at China with raised eyebrows right now.

5 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

Unfortunately, the entire planet is looking at China with raised eyebrows right now.

I’m originally from Ecuador, and just a couple of days ago a fleet of 260 Chinesse ships where approaching the Galapagos island illegally. Until now they are still right at the border of international waters, they stay there trying to lure the many different species of marine life into their ships. 
Galapagos is home to many vulnerable and endangered species. 
I think Ecuador CERTAINLY “looking at China with raised eyebrows right now”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/260-chinese-boats-fish-near-galapagos-ecuador-on-alert/2020/07/30/01b0d98e-d29f-11ea-826b-cc394d824e35_story.html

29 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

TikTok is actually a big security risk because all the data goes all the way back to the CCP.  Huawei was also banned from using Google services/apps on their Android platform.

I think it's a good move to ban TikTok because of the reason above.

what ever happened to vine? That was a nice American made company I think that was pretty funny and not privacy compromising. 

trust me there will be another tik tok after it’s banned.

57 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

Huawei was also banned from using Google services/apps on their Android platform.

Im on Huawei and i can use Google search and store. 

For those asking about Vine:

It exists, the app is now called “Byte”.  It’s made by the same creators of Vine and it’s been out since earlier this year but the popularity of TikTok overshadowed it.

Byte = Vine 2 basically.

I wonder if the popularity of Byte will skyrocket after TikTok is officially banned here lol

Just now, Gidiot said:

@hoodrow trillson good it’s American Made? Although American spies  on people but mostly just it’s citizens haha

Lmao yeah, they’re probably going to spy with the data too but at least it’s minimal and within the same country it’s made in if that happens 

I feel like it’s hypocrisy. Americans were annoyed when China banned Facebook, google, and YouTube. If the United States is so free the. Why ban tik tak? It’s one thing to urge people to avoid it and make them aware that they risk their information to be stolen. And it’s another thing to make the choice for Americans because it’s for their own good. What if the USA is censoring Chinese propaganda? Maybe Chinese propaganda would help Americans see a different point of view man make their own decisions. Anyway if they ban tik tak because it violates people’s privacy than they should also ban all the other companies that collect our data. Furthermore it bothers me that libertarians and conservatives insist on free markets and don’t acknowledge that the top 1% use their wealth to buy out their competition and control the markets. 

Edited by Lindsay

this is one of those "and nothing of value was lost meme" situations 

17 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I feel like it’s hypocrisy. Americans were annoyed when China banned Facebook, google, and YouTube. If the United States is so free the. Why ban tik tak? It’s one thing to urge people to avoid it and make them aware that they risk their information to be stolen. And it’s another thing to make the choice for Americans because it’s for their own good. What if the USA is censoring Chinese propaganda? Maybe Chinese propaganda would help Americans see a different point of view man make their own decisions. Anyway if they ban tik tak because it violates people’s privacy than they should also ban all the other companies that collect our data. Furthermore it bothers me that libertarians and conservatives insist on free markets and don’t acknowledge that the top 1% use their wealth to buy out their competition and control the markets. 

It's a bit different when that data goes straight to the CCP and will be used to further the agenda of an authoritarian regime.  

I'm a very anti-war person, but you have to see the CCP for what it is and we definitely have to take the proper defensive measures.  In this case our love of freedom will be a weakness that they will use and exploit.  

Why do you think it’s in China’s best interest to harm us? Don’t they rely on our economy right now?

we don’t have real freedom. It’s an illusion. I guess you can say we are more free in some ways. Other ways it’s rigged. The top of the hierarchy dominates the markets, The media, the politics, the education, and the credibility of critical thinkers. They can easily pay off the media to damage people’s credibility when they make an argument against their interest, otherwise they will just pull ads.

Edited by Lindsay

4 hours ago, Lindsay said:

Why do you think it’s in China’s best interest to harm us? Don’t they rely on our economy right now?

Because there is a huge incentive in being the worlds greatest super power.  You tend to be able to make the rules of the game and bend others to your will.  Basically what the US has been doing in recent history and what the British empire did before that.  If you want specific historical examples of this, read about the Opium wars, or a more modern example would be the Petrodollar system and the economic hegemony it afforded the US.  

Great empires historically aren't great only because of the principles they stand on.  They're great because they plunder, rob, and destroy their opposition.  In the same sense, the US has economically robbed the world and waged a subtle economic war by taking advantage of it's power.  The US has waged hot war for this purpose as well of course.   

Modern China is extremely ruthless and intelligent in this respect.  China fights a smart war with economics, information, culture and other ways.  

Edited by Heart of Space

the USA can’t hold on to power forever. It’s gotta be someone else’s turn. Hopefully China will have evolved by then. 

I dislike how Trump is behaving like a communist dictator when wanting to ban TikTok. So should countries around the world ban Facebook? It's exactly the same thing!

Alex Jones said that Facebook is CIA and Google is the NSA. I think Trump is shooting himself in the foot here.

And also, only someone unbelievably gullible and naive would believe that Taiwan is independent of China. Obviously China totally controls Taiwan including its large microchip manufacturer TSMC. China has thousands of years of political experience and has I believe been fooling the western powers for hundreds of years.

So Trump wants to ban TikTok and yet sell weapons to Taiwan?! And Trump believes that he can stop Huawei by preventing TSMC from selling them microchips? Hahaha. TSMC only uses U.S. equipment as a smokescreen. China has very long-term plans.

"Washington (CNN) The Trump administration announced Wednesday that it had approved a potential $180 million arms sale to Taiwan, a move that is bound to anger Beijing amid increasing tensions." - CNN.com, May 21, 2020

@Anderz

except the last 200 years, eh? in the grand strategy games like hearts of iron you call what china does with taiwan 'adding a state to the sphere of influence'.

i wouldn't say that they fool the west, the west fool itself far more than the chinese do