An young being

How is time perceived during an awakening experience?

16 posts in this topic

For people who have experienced nothingness, how was time felt during the experience? Was it relatively faster / slower / infinite or something else ?

Like a big cosmic joke, but also as the most intelligent construct ever made, to help evolve this universe to its highest love. 

It appeared as it is, a concept. However, the concept itself didn't make sense at all at that time. Like it's the silliest concept there is.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Time is not experienced because time doesn´t exist. It´s a concept your ego-mind has constructed to invent an story of a self.

Edited by Javfly33

40 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

Like a big cosmic joke, but also as the most intelligent construct ever made, to help evolve this universe to its highest love. 

14 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

It appeared as it is, a concept. However, the concept itself didn't make sense at all at that time. Like it's the silliest concept there is.

Can you try to elaborate? @fridjonk @Gesundheit

14 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Time is not experienced because time doesn´t exist. It´s a concept your ego-mind has constructed to invent an story of a self.

Then, why do some people say that the experience lasted only for sometime and the experience lasted way longer? How do they describe the experience relatively if there is no experience of time? @Javfly33

9 minutes ago, An young being said:

Can you try to elaborate? 

I don't think it will help. Right now I can't even remember how the experience was like. I remember the insight but I don't feel it.

11 minutes ago, An young being said:

Then, why do some people say that the experience lasted only for sometime and the experience lasted way longer? How do they describe the experience relatively if there is no experience of time? 

Realizing that time is an illusion does not necessarily have to occur during all of the mystical experiences. If you don’t specifically inquire into it, you will less likely stumble upon it by accident.

However, when people say that they experienced eternity or something like that, they mean that that how the experience felt for them. If you think about it you might be able to notice that happening in your life. Ex: when you're bored with nothing to do time seems longer. Time itself is illusory. One second equals eternity. The way you perceive it is what really matters.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 hour ago, An young being said:

For people who have experienced nothingness, how was time felt during the experience? Was it relatively faster / slower / infinite or something else ?

There is no one right answer to the question.  There's infinite ways in which time is felt during awakening "moments", ranging from the experience of the the non-passing of anything to, radically slower then what the minds use to, to super fast with cascading insights like a life flashing before someones eyes.

21 minutes ago, An young being said:

Can you try to elaborate? @fridjonk @Gesundheit

Then, why do some people say that the experience lasted only for sometime and the experience lasted way longer? How do they describe the experience relatively if there is no experience of time? @Javfly33

Because they are imagining the experience.

The experience never happened. You are imagining everything within the present moment. Including the past and any experience you imagine you had 

I have mainly just had a constant sense of time, but for a brief time i experienced time going faster and slower. A fast paced high pitch song sounded slow paced and low pitch.

Other than that, i may be missing the meaning of the question somewhat. 

It stops existing. Time is based on distinctions. When distinctions fall away, time falls away.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

13 hours ago, Meta-Man said:

It isn’t.

There is only this one instant, going nowhere. Which is eternity.

Time is hell.

Eternity is heaven.

Ironically I think that the fact that eternity is a thing is actually a kind of hellish thing .

The fact that you can't go nowhere.

22 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Ironically I think that the fact that eternity is a thing is actually a kind of hellish thing .

The fact that you can't go nowhere.

22 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

22 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Having the concept of death maybe a good thing after all, atleast till the body lasts.

There is no time.

It is clear that the past is all arising in your mind only in this moment. The future is obviously completely imaginary. 

The past is also realized to be imaginary. It is imagined right now. Think of a time in your past. When you were a kid playing with friends. Where does that memory exist? Only right now. You are in fact creating that memory right now.

It's hard to stomach but undeniable when experienced

31 minutes ago, Brahman said:

There is no time.

It is clear that the past is all arising in your mind only in this moment. The future is obviously completely imaginary. 

The past is also realized to be imaginary. It is imagined right now. Think of a time in your past. When you were a kid playing with friends. Where does that memory exist? Only right now. You are in fact creating that memory right now.

It's hard to stomach but undeniable when experienced

The concept of time can be imaginary, but what about motion? Isn't time just a tool used by mind to experience motion? And why is motion only towards a particular direction and not the opposite way?

Edited by An young being

29 minutes ago, An young being said:

The concept of time can be imaginary, but what about motion? Isn't time just a tool used by mind to experience motion? And why is motion only towards a particular direction and not the opposite way?

Ok I see what you're asking now. I don't think I have the understanding to fully answer your question. But this is what I've experienced with time dissolution:

Motion is a completely relative phenomena. Which only exists with the concept of time in place. For example lift your hand into the air. You can say the motion is upwards because you are creating a past in which it was downwards relative to where it is now. This process of creating the past and future happens so quickly and unconsciously. You imagine the hand has potential to move in all types of ways, and you also imagine it can't move in some ways. For example you imagine the hand cannot detach from your body and move on its own. Now let's say you haven't lifted your hand yet. You imagine it can go upwards and thus there is now space for motion - you created potential for movement only because you also created time. Try to get closer and closer to the now and see this.

I haven't experienced a slowing of motion if thats what youre asking. Like everything goes slow motion or all motion freezes like in the movies. Maybe this is possible, but it's more that since the concept of time is broken all motion is simultaneously super fast and super slow mo. In fact there's no difference because faster and slower are relative to each other - on an infinite scale where there is no actual substantial difference between the two.

When you have an awakening experience it's clear that all phenomena is imagined and really there is just an ever morphing field of awareness where no object is ever fully still. Even if you stare at a rock that isn't "moving", if you watch long enough you'll start to notice new things about the rock. "Oh look there's this gash I didn't see before. " "Hey those lines on the rock kind of look like a circle." That process of noticing new things is actually you creating them right now. Consciousness is morphing everything, and everything being morphed is nothing other than consciousness itself. Both you and the rock merge into each other. This motion of morphing doesn't stop and in that consistency of motion there is also a stillness behind it. Its a big mindfuck where complete unstopping motion forever exists as well as complete stillness. 

Notice that no two moments are ever the same. As you're reading these words your eyes are moving and you're analyzing new sentences, creating meaning. No two moments reading this text are the same. Even if you go and re-read a line. That moment of re-reading is not the same as "before." It's getting weird haha. This is a glimpse of the ever-changing nature of consciousness. The stillness aspect is prior to all of the change. Prior to all relative difference that creates any motion at all.

Hopefully this helps, I know it may not have exactly addressed your question.

16 minutes ago, Brahman said:

Ok I see what you're asking now. I don't think I have the understanding to fully answer your question. But this is what I've experienced with time dissolution:

Motion is a completely relative phenomena. Which only exists with the concept of time in place. For example lift your hand into the air. You can say the motion is upwards because you are creating a past in which it was downwards relative to where it is now. This process of creating the past and future happens so quickly and unconsciously. You imagine the hand has potential to move in all types of ways, and you also imagine it can't move in some ways. For example you imagine the hand cannot detach from your body and move on its own. Now let's say you haven't lifted your hand yet. You imagine it can go upwards and thus there is now space for motion - you created potential for movement only because you also created time. Try to get closer and closer to the now and see this.

I haven't experienced a slowing of motion if thats what youre asking. Like everything goes slow motion or all motion freezes like in the movies. Maybe this is possible, but it's more that since the concept of time is broken all motion is simultaneously super fast and super slow mo. In fact there's no difference because faster and slower are relative to each other - on an infinite scale where there is no actual substantial difference between the two.

When you have an awakening experience it's clear that all phenomena is imagined and really there is just an ever morphing field of awareness where no object is ever fully still. Even if you stare at a rock that isn't "moving", if you watch long enough you'll start to notice new things about the rock. "Oh look there's this gash I didn't see before. " "Hey those lines on the rock kind of look like a circle." That process of noticing new things is actually you creating them right now. Consciousness is morphing everything, and everything being morphed is nothing other than consciousness itself. Both you and the rock merge into each other. This motion of morphing doesn't stop and in that consistency of motion there is also a stillness behind it. Its a big mindfuck where complete unstopping motion forever exists as well as complete stillness. 

Notice that no two moments are ever the same. As you're reading these words your eyes are moving and you're analyzing new sentences, creating meaning. No two moments reading this text are the same. Even if you go and re-read a line. That moment of re-reading is not the same as "before." It's getting weird haha. This is a glimpse of the ever-changing nature of consciousness. The stillness aspect is prior to all of the change. Prior to all relative difference that creates any motion at all.

Hopefully this helps, I know it may not have exactly addressed your question.

Nice explanation, thanks for taking your time to explain! ?