GroovyGuru

Richard Wolff vs Jordan Peterson

3 posts in this topic

https://youtu.be/HTj17c4N9vI

Interested if anyone has any thoughts on this. I have watched dozens and dozens of Richard Wolff videos trying to understand his positions, and lately have done the same with Jordan Peterson. Professor Wolff is obviously a Marxist whose main idea and thing he advocates for are worker co-ops, while Peterson's whole thing is about how societal hierarchies are inevitable and biological in nature, so trying to eliminate them with Marxist philosophy is nonsense. I have seen many people claim that Peterson fundamentally misunderstands and misrepresents Marx, including by Wolff himself. Here, the publisher of this video clearly aligns with Peterson and makes a case for capitalism being a more effective system.

I am very curious if anyone has any thoughts about the topics discussed in this video, or just about Dr. Wolff or Dr. Peterson themselves as I try to make sense of all of these worldviews. 

Wolff is wrong but interesting. If you're into economics, learning exactly how he is wrong rather than dismissing him might be worthwhile.

Peterson on the other hand is a complete waste of time. Videos of anyone vs. Peterson are at best entertainment.

"Capitalism being a more effective system" is nonsensical ideological signalling. Who on earth actually has an alternative to capitalism and how would we know how effective it is? Effective in what terms anyway? Are screwdrivers ineffective hammers?

I like both of these people. I don’t have to agree with everything they say. But they are both intelligent people and there are a lot of things I learned. Idk why some people have to act all high and mighty like their shit don’t stink. 

I thought about it more and realized I was judging commie. After rereading his comment he has a point. I don’t like when the word “wrong” is used because there is no right or wrong answers. There are partial truths and partial misinterpretations. Jordan Peterson really helped me integrate stage blue ideas. I was an atheist for a very long time and dismissed all religion cuz I thought it was a waste of time. I listened to his personality lectures on his YouTube channel and his logic opened my mind back up to value religions, philosophies, and old scholars. From Jordan’s perspectives communism is dangerous because he is partially correct. It’s logical to not throw out the entire hierarchy and start from scratch. Especially if the population wasn’t  ready to transition. I like Wolff’s co-op solution to business but that would only work if the population was all ready for it. Right now they are not ready for it.  A slow transition maybe. To me, if we could get creative intellectuals and systems thinkers with genuinely good intentions in our government then it would be beautiful to allow bigger government to manage the complexities and levels of development in the population. Government funded start up programs to stimulate co-op companies and experiment with how well they thrive in reality would be helpful. We should elect conservative sociologist and progressive sociologists. So they can come up with regulations that prevent lower stage devilry against exploiting employees and environment.  And to promote progressive change to the lower stages of development to help them up the spiral. Once everyone is solid Green and tier two then we could finally make the government less involved. You can learn something even from people like trump. Just because they have a few flaws doesn’t invalidate everything they have to say. Just expand on the different And multiple perspectives and solutions so you can make your own decisions. 

Edited by Lindsay